test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hey CO, what'cha playin?

2»

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I very well may, but first, I'll be making a custom toon and playing the single player campaign.
    Yeah apparently it has single player content worth doing, unlike Tekken 7 >:T​​
    Tekken has weird things like that thing where you collect costume parts to dress your character up to look weird.

Yeah but the selection of costume pieces is fairly lackluster so even that is meh. Tekken 7 is basically online or gtfo.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Posts: 68 Arc User
    Online-

Star Trek Online
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Star Wars Galaxies Legends

Offline-

Stellaris
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
    Nobunaga's Ambition - Sphere of Influence - Ascension
    Oriental Empires
    Sendoku
    Mechwarrior 4 - Mercenaries (MekTek Version)
  • mordray001mordray001 Posts: 218 Arc User
    Offline... Champions is the only game I play that is ever 'online'

Stellaris
    Grim Dawn
    Battletech
    Endless Legend
    Endless Space 2
    Tyranny
    Xcom 2​​
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    I've been on a Grim Dawn binge. For people who like to make builds, this game has lot going on. It's an ARPG tho... so your mileage may vary.

Recently played a bit of league of legends with some fellow CO players. I hadn't played that game for years, but I (somehow) got roped in to play the role of inept tutor. Actually having more fun with it than I used to.
  • therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    Recently tried revisiting some MMO favorites - Elder Scrolls Online (a new favorite - couldn't stand it when it first launched), Dungeons & Dragons Online, and Lord of the Rings Online. However, my connection cuts out randomly for reasons I haven't been able to track down. Doesn't seem to affect browsing or Netflixing, however.

Otherwise, nothing new. Still cycling through my old "go-to" games - Skyrim, Mount & Blade: Warband, and Civ V, with occasional GOG nostalgia fits (Master of Orion II, Masters of Magic, and the original Age of Wonders). Just not seeing anything in "Let's Plays" or gaming news that piques my interest...
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Well, let's see.

I'll just mention games I've been playing the last year or so.

Someone upthread mentioned Saints Row 4, great game, SR 3 is also really great.

The critically lambasted but technically quite fun unofficial sequel, Agents of Mayhem was only screwed over because the Dev studios fans wanted more character customization ala Saints Row games and got way less of it... And no controllable radio either. I still really enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it was a great game marketed to a crowd that really just wanted more of the same old, same old, but more polished and more of it, and the fans felt they got much less. I can't help but think that if AoM had been a budget title with lower computer spec requirements, like Gat out of Hell was, it would have been a huge smash success. Those spec needs, and the perceived reduced value of AoM from the SR series angered their core fanbase, at a really poor time.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a great game, and it's even better now, but there isn't much to say about it that hasn't been said by tons of RPG fans, so you're either into it's tactical combat system and character / team building and RPG flavor, or you're not.

Warframe which I haven't even played for a full year yet, ended up really grabbing me. I'm looking forward to the Fortuna update coming in about two weeks, and at some point after that, the perfectly amazing concept of Railjack sometime in 2019 has me really excited. Space Android Ninja Jedi GO! Seriously, Google Railjack and watch that short segment of concept gameplay from July's Tennocon.

I loved Shadow of Mordor a couple years ago, probably going to enjoy it's sequel when it goes on sale this winter.

Played Assassin's Creed 2 and now working my way through AC: Black Flag, but I really need to move up to the Origins and Odyssey ACs, since I think I'll enjoy the more actiony combat, the older AC combat system is highly meh for me, but the parkour movement and story stuff is pretty fun. Black Flags ship combat is pretty great too, but still not quite as stellar as the better version of it I played in...

Rebel Galaxy. Played that little gem to completion twice, 60+ hours each time.

Last but not least, Far Cry 5 was pretty excellent. Also fairly amusing much of the time, and I find it odd that Warframe and Far Cry 5 have wormed their way into my enjoyment list since I don't normally dig shooters, but it just goes to prove when a game is well made, fair and fun, almost any genre can temporarily grab you.

============

My dream game would be something on the scale and flavor of Borderlands 2, but with a stronger focus on Melee instead of ranged and guns, so basically Warframe without all the guns. Maybe super heroes and their ranged powers developed though character building and modified with gear, like melee is changed by what weapons you use? Just tired of guns, guns, guns and ranged combat dominating these games.

I don't know if something like that exists somewhere else, and I haven't found it, or if it could even be profitable, but a solo to small 4-man team of mainly melee fighters in huge environments with varied quests and action combat would totally do it for me. A ranged character option should be a choice with consequences in a game like this. Viable certainly, but not so great everyone would opt to play it over melee DPS, control or tanky options.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Soul Calibur 6 has been super fun this past weekend.
    The character creator has voice sets, many sliders, accessory pieces, and much more. Though not as robust as something like CO, it's at least as customizable as something like Neverwinter. You can even design tattoos, scars, and use clipping, rotation, and scaling for unusual effects.

Even better, you can create custom characters for online play, and you can upload your character designs to the servers . . . then, your custom designs can show up as random NPC fights in single player mode.

I'm pretty crap at online PvP, but as ranked play settles down, I'll find my cohort.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I already knew that you have a dirty mind, but I'll go ahead and mention it again as the cause of that kinda gross comment.​​
    Dirty mind? What are you talking about? Some people drool in their sleep while others eat in bed. It's very easy to get stains on a pillow by doing either of those things. What did you think I meant?
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Soul Calibur 6 has been super fun this past weekend.
    The character creator has voice sets, many sliders, accessory pieces, and much more. Though not as robust as something like CO, it's at least as customizable as something like Neverwinter. You can even design tattoos, scars, and use clipping, rotation, and scaling for unusual effects.

Even better, you can create custom characters for online play, and you can upload your character designs to the servers . . . then, your custom designs can show up as random NPC fights in single player mode.

I made a bunny girl :D​​

I made a bunny girl :D​​

I made a sexy demon, naturally.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

I made a bunny girl :D

I made a sexy demon, naturally.

This is starting to sound like Deviant Art: The Fighting Game​​
    It's actually a big topic of conversation among the SC6 players.

1. Custom characters: cool stuff, creative costumes

2. Custom characters: obnoxious characters, trolling

3. Custom characters: differences in hit boxes, attack reach; changes fight meta

4. Custom characters: mixing huge weapons with small characters, and vice versa; changes fight meta

These last two are actually bringing about serious discussion in a game with online ranked matches, and how this will play out in tournaments to come, and preparation for such tournaments. The online ranked players, and the tournament folks, are the ones that play an installment of a fighting game the longest, and are important for revenue.

...Sorry I bothered to make a long, thoughtful post. Nobody gives a ****, as usual.
    These last two are actually bringing about serious discussion in a game with online ranked matches, and how this will play out in tournaments to come, and preparation for such tournaments. The online ranked players, and the tournament folks, are the ones that play an installment of a fighting game the longest, and are important for revenue.

Yeah the reach/power thing is very interesting. I made a Xianghua character all the way to the short end. So, high mobility character with low damage gets a boost to damage, and has their range shortened but that's fine because they're high mobility. I'm wondering if customized toons will even be allowed in tournaments. They aren't in Tekken7 tournaments, but there aren't any meta-related aspects there.​​
    Yeah the reach/power thing is very interesting. I made a Xianghua character all the way to the short end. So, high mobility character with low damage gets a boost to damage, and has their range shortened but that's fine because they're high mobility. I'm wondering if customized toons will even be allowed in tournaments. They aren't in Tekken7 tournaments, but there aren't any meta-related aspects there.​​

Customs won't be allowed in tournaments, and weren't in earlier installments. The complaints have been focusing on ranked play and leaderboards. Tournament players traditionally use top ranks of the leaderboards as practice ground. That might look different for SC6. On the other hand, the best players likely won't be using customs in online ranked play, and they might end up in the top rank of the leaderboards anyway, pushing out the strange custom PCs, like super tiny toons using Astaroth's axe or giant toons using Talim's tonfas.

• sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    iamrune wrote: »
    My dream game would be something on the scale and flavor of Borderlands 2, but with a stronger focus on Melee instead of ranged and guns, so basically Warframe without all the guns. Maybe super heroes and their ranged powers developed though character building and modified with gear, like melee is changed by what weapons you use? Just tired of guns, guns, guns and ranged combat dominating these games.

I don't know if something like that exists somewhere else, and I haven't found it, or if it could even be profitable, but a solo to small 4-man team of mainly melee fighters in huge environments with varied quests and action combat would totally do it for me. A ranged character option should be a choice with consequences in a game like this. Viable certainly, but not so great everyone would opt to play it over melee DPS, control or tanky options.

:pensive:

Did you just reboot City of Heroes? (I know dead horse blah blah blahhhhh)

CoH archetypes map pretty nicely with BL’s classes. [Insert “Positron as The Blaster!” title card in 3D Impact font here. Subtitled “You all con grey to me!”.] Pick a power theme/action skill, which could work like BL with a duration and cooldown, or a power-over-time Overwatch ultimate, depending on theme mechanics. Unlock the camera, since this isn’t necessarily a first-person shooter anymore. Skill trees fill in secondary skills and passives. The loot cycle comes in the form of enhancements that slot in action skills, secondary skills, passives, character, whatever. Obviously, it would need waaaaaaaay more character customization options than mostly palette swaps and a few heads.

Just spit-balling, of course, but CoH and BL synergize way better than I thought they would at first glance. Then again, the more I look at this skill system I just whipped up, the more it leans in the direction City of Titans seems to be heading in, so maybe that’s influencing my thoughts on this.

In other news: Maybe, just maybe, the latest patch to Forza Horizon 4 will actually remain stable for more than 24 hours. Also, I am not to be trusted with Lamborghinis, but maybe the barn find Mini I just unlocked will be more my speed.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Turns out the Lamborghini Huracan isn't even trustworthy in the real world...

https://autoblog.com/2018/10/10/florida-man-crashes-lamborghini-video/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000021&yptr=yahoo
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2018
    "Florida man crashes Lamborghini into a Ford, flees in a Mercedes-Benz"

Excuse-me-What.jpg​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Did you just reboot City of Heroes?
    That's easy: no. His statement was a super-generic point about his favorite game balance flavor.

Broadly speaking, the way you beat foes in an MMO is by running them out of hit points before you run out of hit points. Any defense beyond what's needed to not win is wasted, and if there are several combinations of abilities that all result in victory, your best choice is the one that does it fastest.

Tanking, Healing, and CC are all basically defensive options, and all of them are lower dps than being a dps. This means any content that can be done by DPS is best done by DPS. Since game designers are wary of making content that's impossible for some characters, that means DPS is usually the best choice for all non-team content.

The question of melee dps vs ranged dps usually comes down to travel time. If melee dps is, say, 50% higher, but requires an extra 3s travel time, any opponent that a ranged attacker can beat in less than 9s is faster for the ranged character.
    Yinz could have just stopped at “Florida man”, you know.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    Do you like Castlevania? Do you like Castletroids? er... Metroidvanias? Do you like Touhous? Do you like maids who throw knives and have time stop powers?

Well I just played Touhou Luna Nights and it's all these things and more. It's also one of those games in early access that's really polished and show you that they're actually planning to do a good job. Only the first 3 levels are out right now so it's short, but what's there is pretty great. It does neat things like having water become solid when you freeze time, which plays into various platforming challenges. You can do the thing that Sakuya ( and Dio ) are known for where you freeze time, setup a bunch of knives, and then unfreeze time and all the knives hit your enemies. If you are a fan of well made sprites you'll love this, they're all really nicely done and have like so many frames of animation it's kinda nuts. Also you can get the ability to throw chainsaws. I'm not really sure why Sakuya can do that... maybe it's in her lore o3o

https://store.steampowered.com/app/851100/Touhou_Luna_Nights/​​
    So, got in almost four hours on the Fallout 76 XBox beta today (they let us play for a while, then fix what we broke, then we do it again), and one thing I can say for certain - do NOT go anywhere near Grafton Dam without backup. A group of Super Mutants live there, and at least one of them is one level higher than your character. I'm trying to sneak up to where I was killed last time, because when you die the only real penalty is that you drop all the scrap you were carrying, and I had quite a bit. There might even be enough there for me to craft a scope for my hunting rifle.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• ...you know, if you're trying to discourage someone from going somewhere, you might not want to mention it's a scavver's paradise​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    Problem is, the enemies scale to your level - so those Super Mutants are always going to slightly outclass you. Go there to scav, and pretty soon your paper bag will join all those others... :smile:

• not if you get the drop on them...it's a bethesda game - stealth is going to be as ludicrously overpowered as it is in all their other games​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    You start with a 1 in all stats; you get to add one every time you level, at least through level 10 (don't know how long it progresses at that rate, but as with perks in FNV, I'm expecting it to slow down). You also get a collection of "perk cards", which can give you relatively minor perks and which you assign (each one has a "cost" on it, and you can assign as many as you have available points in the relevant stat - I can't assign the Plumber perk, for instance, which slows the rate at which pipe weapons wear during use, because it requires two points to be available in its stat, and I only have two points in that stat and one perk already that I'm finding quite useful). And then there's the fact that when you crouch, at least without a ton of perks we can't have yet because the world has only existed for a grand total of about ten hours now, you don't get the near-invisibility from FO4, and you don't sense enemies until you're almost on them.

So basically, they've devalued stealth, which makes sense since we're all a bunch of people selected from the best and brightest available when the Vault was set up (for instance, the Vault's former chief sanitation engineer had degrees in electrical engineering and physics from VTU, while the cook was a Nobel laureate), then locked into an underground facility for twenty-five years. Not a lot of rugged outdoorsmen or former infantry soldiers here, certainly nobody akin to the Courier, or even the Sole Survivor.

jonsills wrote: »
    ...I can't assign the Plumber perk, for instance, which slows the rate at which pipe weapons wear during use...

Glad they're continuing the tradition of super exciting and interesting perks n_n god forbid they learn anything from player perk overhaul mods...​​
  • some of the ones they added in skyrim and FO4 were fairly unique...but yes, they definitely have a major dearth of spongebob_imagination_by_kssael_display.jpg?w=628 at bethesda​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    ...I can't assign the Plumber perk, for instance, which slows the rate at which pipe weapons wear during use...

Glad they're continuing the tradition of super exciting and interesting perks n_n god forbid they learn anything from player perk overhaul mods...​​
    You ever play FO3 or FNV? Where you had to haul around three or four copies of your favorite weapon, so you could repair the main one whenever it got worn? Trust me, the ability to slow that wear rate is "super interesting and exciting" - I'm just more interested in the Lone Wanderer perk, which makes soloing much more viable.

(It also helps that you can make the repairs with the scrap you gather, rather than needing another copy of that weapon in particular...)

It's also fun that choosing a perk doesn't lock you into that perk. They come as "cards", and you can swap them out as your situation changes - if I ever wind up in a long-term team, unlikely as that seems, I can swap out Lone Wanderer for two other perks of the same type (Lone Wanderer is a two-point perk).

edited November 2018
    You ever play FO3 or FNV? Where you had to haul around three or four copies of your favorite weapon, so you could repair the main one whenever it got worn? Trust me, the ability to slow that wear rate is "super interesting and exciting"

I mean, I guess we just have different ideas of interesting and exciting. Certainly different ideas of "super interesting". To me, the ability to use my pipe a bit longer before I have to click on something so I can keep using my pipe isn't any of those things. Like....wooow.... I can do the exact same thing, in the exact same way for a bit longer. Crickets. I mean really, what do you find interesting about that? Is it the part where you do the exact same thing... or the part where you do it in the exact same way?

It's just as boring as a perk that says "makes your pipe do 10% more damage!". Wooooow... so now I can be doing the exact same thing, in the exact same way, but for less time on each enemy. Or a perk that says "X% harder to detect while sneaking". Woooooow... so I can sneak towards an enemy and kill them... just like I did before. The crickets got bored and left.

See that's what I mean when I say that Bethesda tends to phone it in with their perks, and to a larger extent their systems. You get a perk, and then you're still doing the same things in the same way. Get 10 more perks... same thing, same way. Fallout 4 had a handful of perks that actually allowed you to do something in a new way, which is about a half of a handful more than Skyrim had. These games are carried a lot by their world and their basic gameplay, and the perks don't really help to bring them any further.

For an example of interesting perks, let's examine Tendo's Perkus Maximus. Not the whole thing of course, because he literally overhauls every single perk tree, and his overhaul touches almost every single perk in the game. No let's just look at the perks in the Conjuration tree that relate directly and only to Necromancy, a staple of the fantasy genre when it comes to magic characters.

Standard Skyrim Perks for Necromancy:
    -Greater duration for reanimated undead
    -Reanimated undead have 100 points more health

Tendo's Perks for Necromancy:
    -Player can harvest bones and body parts from corpses
    -Player gets the Conjure Skeleton Warrior spell which uses up harvested bones to create a skeleton. The skeleton warrior is a permanent follower-like creature that does not count towards the regular summon limit.
    -Player gets the Conjure Skeleton Archer spell...etc
    -Player gets the Conjure Skeleton Mage spell...etc
    -Greater chance of receiving bones back when dismissing Skeleton followers, conjured Undead have 100 more health.
    -Adds "Skeleton Mage Overlord", "Skeleton Warrior Overlord" and "Skeleton Archer Overlord" spells. When conjuring an Overlord it consumes all current Skeleton followers and its stats are based on the number consumed. Is a permanent follower.
    -Grants the power "Call Undead" which teleports all your skeletons to you.
    Also grants access to your skeletons' inventories, and the ability to dismiss them.
    -Reanimation spells that require the target to be lower level than you now work on targets at your level.
    -Grants the spell "Recurring Nightmare". While crouching activate a humanoid carcass to store its essence. Only one body may be stored at once. Casting the spell at another corpse turns it into a copy of the stored corpse.
    -When targeting undead your spell strength and duration are increased. You learn the spell "Seven Souls" which conjures and reanimates a small army of corpses. Also learned the spell "Conjure Skeletal Dragon" ( this one is a Focus Perk, a new type of perk introduced by the mod. Each spell casting tree has 2-3 Focus Perks and you can only pick one ).

Notice how almost every perk Tendo made actually allows you to do something new or significantly changes how you could approach something by giving you more options? To me that's interesting and exciting. His perks don't just let you do the same thing for longer or with more damage. That was actually his design philosophy for his entire overhaul. He hated how perks were just "Do X% more damage with Y" and especially how you would just have perks with several ranks and all they do is that. He demanded of himself that if he changed a perk it should have a real impact on how you play and what you can do, not just make the same old thing you do be X% more efficient - and if he couldn't do that, he would at least flatten a perk that did that down to 1 rank so the player wasn't wasting points on garbage.

And this is just one guy and some volunteer playtesters. Bethesda could devote a team to this stuff, but for some reason Todd always settles for the same thing. Do X% more damage. Spells cost X% less magicka. Be X% better at sneaking. Do the same thing, the same way, but just a bit more easily or efficiently.​​
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • yep; and ESO follows along with that with their passives (since that game doesn't actually have perks) being just do X more efficiently or get extra of Y stat when Z occurs - though, there is some creativity in some of their ability morphs, and the ability morphing system itself is pretty damn unique, and something i'd like to see in more elder scrolls games - along with that crafting system; much less of a PITA to use than the skyrim version was and far more organized​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    Tendo's stuff seems like it falls outside the design space Bethesda defined for perks. It's ACTIVE stuff that gives you new abilities. In CO terms they give you new powers.

Perks in FO76 seem to fill the same type of role as mods in CO. They let you tweak your character but they usually don't change your abilities.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited November 2018
    Perks in FO76 seem to fill the same type of role as mods in CO.

I agree. Tendo's mod literally is the difference between our mods, and our freeform powers system. And I think we're all in agreement that if we had to pick either mods or power selection, we know which one we would label as exciting and interesting.
    Tendo's stuff seems like it falls outside the design space Bethesda defined for perks.

And that is exactly the problem. Bethesda games are massively improved by more interesting perks, because they are a massive part of the game's progression, but the designers just don't think it's worth their time to try something new and they're willing to let the game's big world carry it. Of course these are the same people that think crawling through a dungeon for a chest containing a pair of Iron Boots is exciting loot! \owo/​​
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    I'm playing Yo Momma!
    ..... :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I'm playing Yo Momma!

Yo Momma so fat, she has mass whether the Higgs boson exists or not!

Yo Momma so slow, her de Broglie wavelength is visible at macro frequencies!

Yo Momma so fat, a light beam passing within one AU of her fat **** has a radius of curvature of 6e9 meters!

flyingfinn wrote: »
    I'm playing Yo Momma!

Is that some sort of fighting game where you attack each other with Yo Momma jokes? o3o​​
    Perks in FO76 seem to fill the same type of role as mods in CO.
    I agree. Tendo's mod literally is the difference between our mods, and our freeform powers system. And I think we're all in agreement that if we had to pick either mods or power selection, we know which one we would label as exciting and interesting.
    Right, but it's not a choice between the two. In Fallout, your gear determines what abilities you have in combat. That works with perks. In fact, many perks are specific to the types of gear you wear.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Right, but it's not a choice between the two.

It is with the bethesda games you can mod s( u w u )z​​
    Did you just reboot City of Heroes?
    That's easy: no. His statement was a super-generic point about his favorite game balance flavor.

Broadly speaking, the way you beat foes in an MMO is by running them out of hit points before you run out of hit points. Any defense beyond what's needed to not win is wasted, and if there are several combinations of abilities that all result in victory, your best choice is the one that does it fastest.

Tanking, Healing, and CC are all basically defensive options, and all of them are lower dps than being a dps. This means any content that can be done by DPS is best done by DPS. Since game designers are wary of making content that's impossible for some characters, that means DPS is usually the best choice for all non-team content.

The question of melee dps vs ranged dps usually comes down to travel time. If melee dps is, say, 50% higher, but requires an extra 3s travel time, any opponent that a ranged attacker can beat in less than 9s is faster for the ranged character.

I appreciate the thoughtful replies both of you gave my final paragraph.

However, and this is important to me; any combat as simplistic as to boil down to nothing more than a DPS race, such that your example makes sense,such as the majority of MMOs combat systems, simply isn't good enough for what I'm really looking for.

Skilled developers can mix up enemy types to have various roles, defined abilities or categories or even randomly assigned affixes [like the excellent ARPG Grim Dawn] to mix up the needs of combat so one cannot always simply "Moar Dakka" as the answer. or at least, certainly not the most efficient answer.
    • Enemies that have ten times the health total [and thus even if no more actual DPS, more damage on players over the time they live]
    • Enemies that can crowd control, either via soft or hard means
    • Enemies that have among their attacks skills and slower than normal charge up and longer cool down snipe attack
    • Enemies with strong buffs
    • Enemies with strong debuffs
    • Enemies that literally tank for their buddies, via some sort of range based damage sharing, so that as long as they live, all damage done to any enemy within their range spreads it out to, but divides it among all other foes in that area, making all of them tougher until this leader is killed
    And this is just a few examples of things that can be done so "More Damage" isn't always the most efficient answer. sometimes careful selection of targets, application of your own CC, buffs and debuffs, and in a multiplayer game good communication and spacial / enemy awareness and timing and rotation of personal character abilities and gear are essential in the 'perfect action game' I'm more or less envisioning.

"Not just "Moar Dakka", which was one of the Borderlands series failings, honestly. Ultimately Borderlands game design is really just a numbers grind with skill based aiming required to facilitate your numbers. The shields, armor and health system with variant damage types only make a difference when playing right at your current level of ability, as any level and gear bump on players over the enemy types make it so strong enough DPS ultimately wins. Few enemies in the series do anything more than shoot you, if frustratingly unerringly, making it so that your only real defense is to kill them first. Pure DPS race.

@pantagruel01 , when you said; "Any defense beyond what's needed to not win is wasted, and if there are several combinations of abilities that all result in victory, your best choice is the one that does it fastest. Tanking, Healing, and CC are all basically defensive options, and all of them are lower dps than being a dps. This means any content that can be done by DPS is best done by DPS. Since game designers are wary of making content that's impossible for some characters, that means DPS is usually the best choice for all non-team content."

Then you are indeed, broadly speaking of simple MMO combat systems. Not an action game of visceral excitement and engaging, fast paced tactical decision making game play I'm really hungering for. Mostly at melee range, for whatever setting reasons make the most sense.

If sci fi, call it a Dune-style force fields thing when technology has outstripped ranged weapons on a personal defense level, in most cases. If a fantasy setting then it could be a rough & tumble Conan the Barbarian -esque type of setting where skilled archers, the materials to make quality bows and arrows are extremely rare, and sorcerers with ranged damaging magic rarer still. In a super hero setting the Devs could be enforcing "Silver Age Rules" when the Punisher and guys like him literally hadn't even come on the scene yet and a hero with a gun was such an anomaly as to be hard to imagine, and only character build choices for ranged powers would even be available normally. Enemies that relied on range would certainly be a thing, as a tactical challenge to overcome, of course! However, the genre rules [whatever they are] enforce the players' power advantage in those cases too.

Whatever works to reinforce the genre so standing at a distance and staying semi safe while unleashing pure DPS isn't easy to do, or certainly isn't going to ultimately be the easiest thing to do to win.

I am not afraid of a game which isn't afraid to make some challenges impossible for some mixes of character types such as a pure DPS with nothing else team, have a rougher time beating various challenges.

I do not want a game where "Moar Dakka" is always the ultimate winning answer.

I want the decisions I made while building my character, the current selection of abilities on that characters load out, the gear and items and armor selections and the perk combinations, the mods [ more interesting than Champions mods, more like ability tweaking more than just numbers], and my buddies and their builds and gear selections, to also matter as much as the in-the-moment tactical decisions of which enemies to target first, so the entire group of enemies it easier to deal with, and so on.

Some foes should be easier to deal with if CCd or debuffed first, or some foes make it so entire mob groups are more of a problem until they themselves are taken down or CCd, or perhaps a short term buff on self that makes oneself immune to CC, could be needed against groups of CC heavy foes, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks for reading. Would still love more comments if this sound interesting to anyone else at all.
    This reminds me of an older thread where folks were discussing ways to differentiate combats. The thing I love to see in a game is when not fighting, or not fighting to kill enemies, is sometimes a viable choice. Missions that are "slay x enemies" aren't a favorite of mine.

Introduce more "survive for x time", "accomplish x things while enemies attack", and "make it through the area" situations. Killing the enemies then becomes one of several solutions, which also might include CC, defense, movement abilities, or player skill at dodging/jumping/etc.

The tutorial parts of GW2 have missions like this: the group of players contributes to an overall success based on completing actions, finding objects, solving simple riddles, and defeating enemies.

Haha, there are fights where it's not JUST a DPS race. :p Then again some people hate Nightmare chickens for that...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Haha, there are fights where it's not JUST a DPS race. :p Then again some people hate Nightmare chickens for that...

And these are my favorite fights in Champs. Wish there were more of them.

Desert Mechanon: similar to the Nightmare event--different teams with different roles/goals/mechanics
    Kiga: more about attrition, healing/defense, than DPS
    Eidolon: more about knowing mechanics/rounds/CC
    Qwijy: requires CC, movement
    TA Medusa: unique mechanic
    TA Teleios: "pass the poison", off-tank importance

These certainly require DPS, but have significant non-DPS requirements. Heck, I have been on Kiga runs with very low DPS, but plenty of heals and defense, making the fight super easy.

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    STO too boring to play for long,
    Minecraft- er ....snore...
    I built a house, now what,
    mining- done that , now what
    make a village- done that, now what,(on the ground, up a huge post, on a glacier... it was funny watching them, south american pyramid with pueblo village inside)
    er.......
    Ok back to CO.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

STO too boring?? Well, to each their own, I suppose...

edited November 2018
    chaelk wrote: »
    Minecraft- er ....snore...
    I built a house, now what,
    mining- done that , now what
    make a village- done that, now what,(on the ground, up a huge post, on a glacier... it was funny watching them, south american pyramid with pueblo village inside)
    er.......

Apparently there's something called an Ender Dragon that you can go kill. You gotta make a gateway out of obsidian to get to it's weird Ender Realm dimension. I got there and then died a lot cause it's a lot more hazardous than the normal world, so that was pretty neat. The server I played on did regular world resets tho so eventually I lost interest

I mean, if we're going to be accurate regarding the term DPS race, the majority of fights in CO aren't DPS races. Race implies the need to finish quickly, before something else does, i.e. Dino dps checks, Eido orbs. You could call what most fights are a "DPS marathon" because it's more a mix of dealing damage and enduring the boss long enough to defeat them, but generally there is no special term for this because it's just the basis for a standard MMO fight. It's the framework to which you add various mechanics that serve as monkey wrenches to attempt to derail that standard process.
    Desert Mechanon: similar to the Nightmare event--different teams with different roles/goals/mechanics
    Kiga: more about attrition, healing/defense, than DPS
    Eidolon: more about knowing mechanics/rounds/CC
    Qwijy: requires CC, movement
    TA Medusa: unique mechanic
    TA Teleios: "pass the poison", off-tank importance

Wat no TA Gravitar? She like, CO's best movement fight u3u
    I don't know if something like that exists somewhere else, and I haven't found it, or if it could even be profitable, but a solo to small 4-man team of mainly melee fighters in huge environments with varied quests and action combat would totally do it for me.

Sounds like Dying Light. Or Dark Souls. Do you like zambos? o3o​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    However, and this is important to me; any combat as simplistic as to boil down to nothing more than a DPS race, such that your example makes sense,such as the majority of MMOs combat systems, simply isn't good enough for what I'm really looking for.
    Um... I never said that it was just a DPS race. The problem is that content that can't be beaten as a DPS race also generally requires some specific roles and is therefore not PuG friendly, and even for more complex content, anyone who isn't filling a specific role is probably best off as dps.

Fundamentally, there are three ways to lose an MMO fight:
    1. The NPCs beat you up before you can beat them up.
    2. There is a timer, and you are unable to apply damage fast enough to keep up with the timer.
    3. You are unable to apply lasting damage at all -- either the target doesn't take damage, or it heals faster than you can do damage.
    If a fight is meant to be beatable, there is some way around each of these problems. The problem is that non-dps roles have fundamental caps. Once you have sufficient tanks, additional tanks don't do anything but provide a security blanket. Same for healers. If there's critters it's useful to CC, once they're CCed, additional CC doesn't do anything. The exception to this is damage: more dps beats fights faster. It's technically possible to cap how fast things take damage, but it's rare in MMO space.

The other problem is that, for non-dps roles, the minimum number needed and the maximum number needed are very close to one another. This is a problem for pickup groups, because even if they have the roles, they're not likely to have the exact right number.
  • fizzex#3004 fizzex Posts: 59 Arc User
    PS2 is backwards compatable with PS1 games, so Civilizations II and Destroy all Humans (I like to shoot up Rockwell with the ship, then camp on the theater roof and shoot whatever shows up).