test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tank Build for Achetypal OP Hero

Hi Guys

I'm generally playing as my healer but that is really down to healers being in demand a lot when I do log in. Really my fav types of heroes are the Superman, Shazam, Thor, Miracleman, Supreme, Statesman and All Might , you know the standard big almost indestructible forces of good. Looking for a tank big with some decent damage but really able to hold it own and help cosmics and end game content. Don't have any really specifics just wana play the game like my fav heroes. thanks all

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    There's many ways to go about it, since all variants can use the same (or similar) backbone- like Defiance + Con gearing + STR PSS w/ Juggernaut + Wardicator + R3 block + ADs and self-heals. Only things that could change are the nature of the attacks, forms, EUs, blocks, extra stats, etc. that you may use. Here's one example, using Might/Brick since its archetypal enough:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=29&n=&d=11340GbAMBPE000000J000J20bJA00JE04K503H90i7G00JK0JER00ON01JC0300000000000010gA3T3B2MGB

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training (Str: 3, Dex: 3, Con: 3, Int: 3)
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Healthy Mind (Con: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 15: Body and Mind (Str: 5, Int: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Clobber (advantages)
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Surge of Strength, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Defiance (advantages)
    Level 8: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Wildfire, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Masterful Dodge (advantages)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 27/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

Arc can be your main AoE and can also be tapped to debuff for Crushing dmg. Defense Combo may not be needed, but it can be used to quickly secure threat and/or refresh Defiance quickly (if you have issues keeping it stacked). Haymaker is your main boss killer, and you should charge it whenever you can for the best dps/threat. Gear for lotsa Con, and some Str for Enrage.

Again, there's many diff ways to vary builds like the above and still be very tanky; I even left the last few powers wide open since you have the basics already.

(edit: fixed build link)
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Thanks Brilliant thanks, never really been a tank before but I want o give it a good go. With the remaining power is it best to add in some attacks for dps and maybe something extra for Def. Also what is the best end game gear for a tank currently
  • Options
    The free power slots could be something like a 3rd AD, Circle of Primal Dominion (CoPD), Nanobot Swarm, another self-heal, an ultimate and/or an AO for burst dps/threat, powers that apply dmg debuffs (Fear, Disorient, Jinx, Mini Drive, Regret, etc), a CC/stun, a self-res, a lunge, a long-ranged attack to offset the melee powers, or other attacks if you want to fill a theme or look.

Justice primaries are good for all roles due to the higher SS boost, and since its +offense set bonus works well w/ Wardicator or Guardicator specs to give more offense and defense. The other GCR/SCR primary sets (Distinguished, Virtuous) are also good for tanking, and don't take Rampage tokens to acquire. You'll also prob want a Confront mod in there somewhere for threat. For 2ndaries, Onslaught Gloves of the Defender are nice for tanking. For the other 2ndary slots, Cosmic Rage/Wrath stuff is good (you'd prob want 'of Rage' since Con is a 2ndary SS here), as are the other Onslaught 2ndaries.

That said, you can still do fine in lesser gear (Legion's, Heroic, Merc, etc), and esp if you are playing a soak tank or off-tank when learning the ropes. Regardless, generally you want to favor +defense and +maxHP over dodge/avoid boosts as a Defiance/mitigation tank.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    with help from VEXX I have this build please critique guys as it my first go at tanking as I'm bored of being a healer. Also any advice on what to slot into gear and what devices would help
    (Unnamed Build) - Freeform

Super Stats
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Tireless (Rec: 8)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 8: Demolish (Below the Belt, Challenge!)
    Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 14: Mighty Leap (Bull Rush)
    Level 17: Shockwave (Power Shift, Leg Rumbler, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Aggressor (advantages)
    Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge (advantages)
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (1/2)
    Strength: Overpower (1/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
  • Options
    I still may use Arc over a Might AoE just cause it can also double as a debuff, but if you want to keep it more Might-based then Shockwave is a fine AoE (not good dps, esp at R1 dmg, but has good reach for tagging). If taking Demolish, I may try to get r2 of it. I may also pass on the adv for Mighty Leap if you wanted more free adv points, but that's up to you. Hopefully your energy situation is fine enough for heavy Haymaker use, regardless.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    I generally do not recommend defensive combo, it's a kind of bad power. I'm not fond of lunge powers. It's nice to have a PBAoE challenge effect. I'm less than fond of demolish, there are better ways of applying demolished, but it's relatively low on my list.
  • Options
    Yea, I only kept Defense Combo in for Defiance refresh and snap threat, but an ideal rotation wouldn't use it over Haymaker charges. It would be better if the combo could proc Enrage and/or provide a dmg debuff like Disorient, but c'est la vie.

I like using Iron Chain for the Demolish debuff in Enrage builds, since you can also get its Reckless adv, it has a bit more range than normal melee, and it works w/ Enrage (full combo on trash can build immunity for Haymaker to not KB), but chains aren't fitting for most builds.
  • Options
    thanks guys ill makes some changes to the build and repost. is there a guild anywhere on hows to control threat when tanking or is it best to learn on the job as it were
  • Options
    andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    My Might tank is very close to fb's build. I only have zero Retcon left so I am looking into comparing to see if worth Retroning:

Iron Chain (Demolish, Rampart) vs Demolish (2, Below the belt) for Demolish application

Havoc Stomp (Cry Havok) vs Iron Cyclone (Vortex Technique) vs Shockwave (Power Shift) for AoE

I have Fist of Compliance device so do I need Shockwave?
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'd take Iron Cyclone of the AoE picks, just cause its a wide pbAoE that can rope in enemies w/ Vortex. Its a bit costly and low-dps, but no Might AoE comes w/o quite significant drawbacks, tbh. Up to you if you think its worth respecing- though if ur still unsure, you can make the undecided power(s) the last power/adv you train for rel cheap/easy re-training of it later.

That device has a pretty long cd, iirc, and if so then it can't really replace a non-cd AoE in terms of being a regular AoE.
    thanks guys ill makes some changes to the build and repost. is there a guild anywhere on hows to control threat when tanking or is it best to learn on the job as it were
    If tackling Cosmics, you'll prob want to get the help of someone who's main-tanked them, and just practice to learn the fights and how to live through them. When you get more familiar w/ them you'll be more comfortable knowing how best to build threat while doing so.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    was thnking can a AT do well tanking at cosmics and end game like a behemoth or rockstar? Maybe using a AT to get used to tanking is better or would FF give me a better chance
  • Options
    Behemoth and Rockstar are prob the best AT tanks for that stuff atm. Still will take good support from allies, but that's usual in large-group content. I'd still use an FF slot if you have it available, but those ATs can work if you don't have that option and will get used to them.
  • Options
    Ok I'm think I'm going with this build then

Super Stats
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Tireless (Rec: 8)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 8: Demolish (Below the Belt, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Mighty Leap (Bull Rush)
    Level 17: Iron Cyclone (Vortex Technique, Stand Your Ground, Challenge!)

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (1/2)
    Strength: Overpower (1/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
  • Options
    I think Arc of Ruin is the best compromise, cause it can take Demolish's role as a Crushing debuff, but w/o needing to be charged, and it can also function as pbAoE. By performing 2 main functions, it can free up a power slot for something else, if need be. That said, that build can work if you wanted to keep it all in Might.
  • Options
    thanks for for primary gear looks like ill wan precision, fitness and efficenct what would be best to slot into them
  • Options
    Somewhat depends on your priorities. Confront mods are nice purely for the threat. Crit rating or severity can also boost dps & threat gen (and crit heals w/ Conviction). Defensive slots could be either +maxHP and/or more defense rating. Utility can be Might's +dmg mod (Ripper's Rage, iirc) and/or something like +cd reduction.
  • Options
    What should I swap Iron Cyclone for if I use Arc of Ruin for debuff and AOE, do I need a 3rd AD ?

Powers
    Level 8: Mighty Leap (Bull Rush)
    Level 14: Arc of Ruin (No Quarter, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Iron Cyclone (Vortex Technique, Stand Your Ground, Challenge!)
  • Options
    You don't need 3 ADs, but if you want to roll them you can go that route. Or maybe use something like CoPD or Nanobot Swarm, or a move that gives you a heal/Restoration adv like Iron Lariat. I'd also grab both special advs on Arc, if taking it.
  • Options
    apart from void possession, nimbus and primus spark shield is there nay other devices I should get to help my tank either in attack or defenser, with thinking about getting eruption
  • Options
    hemslordhemslord Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Little late to the topic, but here I go anyway!

I typically use the following devices:

- Primus Spark Shield
    - Voltaic Potential (I think that's what it's called? It occasionally zaps nearby enemies)
    - Center of Gravity (a nice AoE Knock-To)
    - Necrull's Elixir (Health Regen for when the healer is busy)
    - Heroic Resonance (Again, name may be incorrect here. 100% HP and Stamina at the click of a button)

I've considered getting Eruption. I have never encountered a situation in which I would have needed it, but may potentially swap Voltaic Potential for it.