test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

repeat question? 3d model exporting

bovinenightbovinenight Posts: 2 Arc User
I've searched around the forums and have not found anything specifically going into detail on how to do it. Now that could mean I didn't search long enough or maybe its just not there. And this may not be the best place to ask but I saw a few comments pointing this way because it looked like some of the models had been exported and used in some comics.

My question is, how was this done? I'd love to be able to export some of my toons and run them through my 3d printer. Is this even possible at all?

Thanks in advance folks!

moo

Comments

• somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    While this is a late response, I think it still holds true - the difference between exporting the models from say, STO and 3d printing them (like you can do now over in STO) and here is that the models were designed differently. Corners were cut. And as thus, there's just not enough info to get a model to 3d print.

Case in point - a lot of costumes simply don't 'exist' on the inside. There's nothing there, because you'd never be able to see that there's nothing there. And everyone is all hollow inside.

Go make a character who is see-through. Either via purchasing the Ghost material in the Q-Store, or through the Arcane Tattoos costume pieces (as they have a Ghost material option). Go put on various costume pieces and look at them 'through' you. A lot of them simply don't 'have' a back/interior. You'll see right through them.

And that is what's causing issues with 3d printing a character.

I personally SO wish that we could purchase a 3d printed character model like what STO offers. I would GLADLY pay a hell of a lot of money for it. And I think a lot of other people would too. It's just up to Cryptic to do the work.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!