test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If we get a powerset made with new animations, what would it be?

bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
edited February 2018 in Suggestions Box
With the inclusion of some new power animations in Martial Arts' pass it's now clear the team's got an animator that can make some new looking attack stuff for the game. On the highly-unlikely chance that we manage to get a new powerset, which one would you want made?

Brawling/Wrestling - Playing off the look of Elbow Slam, how about a powerset that incorporates similar, flashy dives and strikes at foes? Things such as bodyslams, running armbars - basically powerful, high-impact dives and strikes at your enemy for extreme crushing damage.

Martial-Arts Staff - This has been a long-requested set, using a long two-handed pole to spin and strike at your enemies. If it's included, will they be able to master the long-forgotten techniques of inverse kinematics?

Single Pistol - Sometimes you want less gun. Instead of constantly flouncing about with your two-gun mojo stuff, maybe we can just carry a single gun that focuses much more on precision and deadly, singular strikes rather than breaking your trigger fingers.

Shapeshifting/Stretchyness - Now this one is a classic comic-book staple, but it'd probably be the toughest to accomplish, requiring some good synergy between the FX team and animators. It'd not just be animation, but also having pretty big power fx that overlay stuff like goop-formed blades, whips, and limbs (think like the graphic for the Iron Cyclone, but swapped out with a huge goop tendril) that strike at enemies amorphously.

Elemental Melee - How's about using fire to boost yourself across the ground to deal a burning uppercut? Or placing a palm on your enemy's face and tazing them? Maybe give a bit more cross-set synergy to those elemental sets.

Shield - My personally most desired set, a strong tanking melee power set that uses a left-handed shield to whack enemies around, use powerful blocks, and possibly even grant the user a Laser-Knight alternative in case you want to get all Sword-and-Board on your enemies, with something larger than the Insignia Shield.

Of course you can obviously respond and post what other ideas you might have.
How to block a user with μblock:
forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

If we get a powerset made with new animations, what would it be? 33 votes

Brawling/Wrestling
12%
ls975duskenradholm#2484chaosdrgnz43zombiehunter1968 4 votes
Martial-Arts Staff
6%
thekrazzeeshadowolf505 2 votes
Single Pistol Munitions subset
15%
ultrarankgruntlezard21criswolf09avianosjebidiahbeetus#4643 5 votes
Shapeshifting/Stretchyness
15%
draognbiffsmackwellroughbearmattachspordeliablockwave 5 votes
Elemental Melee
15%
ramthananaxrevanantmorituritheravenforcescrewthisprocessxemmafrostx 5 votes
Shield
24%
flyingfinnealford1985themightyzenithbluhmanmarkhawkmanultrashocvonqballflagpole#4268 8 votes
I want to write in my own opinion!
12%
spinnytopgreatzeorymerkjodellberserkfan79#1174 4 votes

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Shield
    As much as I want staff...pistol...

I want to bash!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Stretchy Melee, all the way.
    biffsig.jpg
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    Martial-Arts Staff
    Staff powers already exist in the code, just to use it and make a powerset now. Although, I would like to see all these in the game. :)​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Shield
    Shields!! ofcourse.

Because, the 2 other Superhero MMOs have/had ShieldPowerSet. And CO being more super than the one surving half of the 2, we really should have it.
    They can make subsets like Single Pistols and Elemental Melees and Staffs as an addons when they fiddlediddle with the all ready existing sets.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Hard to make a choice because all of those are extremely appealing and I would vote for all of them
    I would go with Single Pistols for the time being due to a lot of personal character concepts and the fact that there are also already existing animations ingame for them
    Hoping they won't tied them exclusively on Gadgeteer...​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Brawling/Wrestling
    Brawling/Wrestling! Brawn is better!

Anyway, I'd love to see the other choices implemented except for "Shapeshift/Stretchyness". I'm not sure if grandpa Cryptic Engine can handle something complex as that.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    Shapeshift lile the Roin’esh can be handled :o

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Shield
    Shields!

Want so bad!!!!!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Elemental Melee
    What most ppl want? Shield

What is more likely? Elemental melee because it is already in the game on the new sidekick, but not available to us. Therefore it will be 'New" animations to them.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/10809204-the-shaolin-lock-box!

The first pic, and the third from the top clearly show elemental melee. Maybe this was a test run? idk, but we don't have stuff like that for our toons.

If I had to choose, would go with elemental melee being a Street Fighter and KOF fan.
  • kjodellkjodell Posts: 83 Arc User
    Plants, all the others would be cool, but I think there is a lot they coukd do with plants
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Magical girl posing and blowing kisses.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Shield
    spinnytop said:

Magical girl posing and blowing kisses.

That sounds like an MA unarmed thing...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v9L6m5WQ1U
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned water powers, because for awhile, there was a pretty big clamoring for that.​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    I also want a Plant powerframe as well as Water, been wanting those for years​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Shield
    I just don’t see then appeal for water....seems nothing different than what force does.

Planet would be a nice addition to add to earth power supply (which should be elements imo)
    edited February 2018
    Force... in it's current unrevamped bottom of the barrel, who designed this mess, state is pretty much Brutal on-your-face spike damage Force Cascade with nothing else
    If anything I would say that WIND is more close to a water powerframe due to the visuals and potentials

Water would add more stuff on the table
    1. Completing the Elemental powers (Fire, Ice, Lighting, Wind, Earth, Water)
    2. Providing synergies with Electricity (Synergy 101 you cannot ignore this) and possible with Ice
    3. Providing resistance against FIRE damage
    4. Providing new Support abilities due to the Nature of Water in videogames be showed as both offensive and healing powers
    5. Crowd Control powers that deal damage over time to the enemies by drowning them
    6. EXTRA: Giving some spotlight to the Godforsaken Lemuria
    ​​
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    I can make a Capt. America build in Diablo 3. I will be able to do so in Path of Exile soon. But the actual superhero game doesn't have that option. Kinda messed up.

Shields, pole arms, or a nature set would all be super. Ele melee doesn't need new animations. I think it'd be cool if it could be done with mods converting damage to an element. Or a form that converted physical to an element. Or a slotted passive. We already have single pistol animations, just not the powers for the players for some reason.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • greatzeorymergreatzeorymer Posts: 14 Arc User
    I picked my own opinion....

Mech/Mecha! I want this type of power set and animations so, SO badly! If you create a super robot power set, they are VERY dynamic and flashy! Mecha in general have alot of unique abilities to them! Underarm slung weapons (machine guns, cannons, energy weapons), different forms of travel (New backpacks for jetpack and possibly tread wheeled travel power, or hover leg powers!). That, and Rocket Punch NEEDS to go into this category! It's a classic Super Robot power going back to the good old days of Mazinger Z!

But not only just the powers, the costumes could be so, so unique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBUYOSYlM4

The above link is an example of both powers, and aesthetic looks that are dynamic in my opinion.
  • Single Pistol Munitions subset
    I created a custom AT concept and posted it a while ago, the idea would be a hybrid of single pistol and brawling to break up the possible monotony of too many single pistol powers. But even just single pistol wouldn't be very difficult to implement, there's already 5-6 animations for it if you watch Primus soldiers during bursts. The Soldier AT is all about military weapons, The Gunslinger is for your Matrix/Equilibrium concept heroes, but single pistol could have all kinds of different themes. The only power that holds just one pistol (and not a gadget gun) is Steady Shot, and the only other attack available is the Gunslinger's Legacy device. Yes I know certain powers like Holdout Shot and Execution Shot use one bullet, but you still hold two guns so if your hand is a pirate hook or foam finger or ball or something..

Not only that, but if you choose any of the musket/flintlock/wheellock weapon skins, then the power would actually fit the gun. If you're a pirate, you have to fire musket bullets in a flurry or SMG style because few powers only shoot once. Single pistol needs to be more like your Sin City-style noir archetypes would use; loud booming shots what knock enemies off their feet. If we got some kind of brawling attacks, the secondary could be to apply Fear to nearby enemies instead of being knock heavy. This way enemies would stay within range instead of being sent careening through the air and having to chase after them to finish the job.

I really wish the devs would give us these two power sets, and a noir costume set/lockbox. The recent ones have been nice, but almost none of them suit any of my personal character concepts.
  • aesica wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned water powers, because for awhile, there was a pretty big clamoring for that.

because this is for powersets that would require NEW animations; water can use animations that already exist​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Elemental Melee

aesica wrote: »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned water powers, because for awhile, there was a pretty big clamoring for that.

because this is for powersets that would require NEW animations; water can use animations that already exist​​

Also because Cryptic has already admitted Water was beyond their capabilities at the height of their development budget. This is why we have Force.
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • except it isn't true in the slightest

all water powers would need is the proper color (what color that would be is up to debate), a distortion shader attached to give it a rippling appearance (which we know is possible because several powers have such a shader attached to them, one example being gravity driver) and optionally attach some variation of the dripping aura for...you know, drips

the latter is the one that might not be possible, which is why it's optional...oh, and i suppose a few different splash GFX for impact

viola, water powers​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Shield

viola, water powers​​

Viola water powers are too niche to be popular...

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited February 2018
    viola, water powers
    Viola water powers are too niche to be popular...
    MUSIC POWERFRAME WHEN?

Which reminds me, Sonic powerframe is in my wishlist​​
  • andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User

except it isn't true in the slightest

all water powers would need is the proper color (what color that would be is up to debate), a distortion shader attached to give it a rippling appearance (which we know is possible because several powers have such a shader attached to them, one example being gravity driver) and optionally attach some variation of the dripping aura for...you know, drips

the latter is the one that might not be possible, which is why it's optional...oh, and i suppose a few different splash GFX for impact

viola, water powers​​

I Agree. the correct color/ Material and that Wet look characters get right when the exit any body of water in the game (as an aura for the power)
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User

The only power that holds just one pistol (and not a gadget gun) is Steady Shot, and the only other attack available is the Gunslinger's Legacy device.

Not sure if they still drop anymore but there was a device in Whiteout called "Argent Pistol" it had a 15 shot charge before it was used up (it also unlocked the weapon model). Then there was the "Resistance Taser" that used a single pistol animation for a single target crowd control effect...
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited February 2018
    Shield
    We already HAVE an aura that makes you constantly look like you were pelted with water balloons....

ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Also because Cryptic has already admitted Water was beyond their capabilities at the height of their development budget. This is why we have Force.
    That depends on what types of animations they were hoping to use. If we're talking full displacement filter, ripple effects, puddles/liquid physics on the ground, etc, then yeah, that's pretty complicated and I can see why it got scrapped. Based on what force looks like, I suspect that's the direction they wanted to go. But you really don't need to aim that high to have decent water effects. For example, here's Incinerate colored blue. Looks a lot like a water jet, doesn't it?

cDoQrbt.png​​
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • looks more like spellplague fire from D&D than water to me​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
    edited March 2018
    Elemental Melee
    What would make the majority happy imo is them giving players a new archetype with a few of the aforementioned powers instead of "The Street" archetype, who wields baseball bats instead of guitars and axes.. I can see a shield and staff archetype being in the might tree, while elemental melee in the MA tree.

They would most likely milk elemental melee from each element imo. One based off ice, fire, thunder, etc. It may have its' own tree tbh. Gold players could be elemental experts using every elemental attack.

This thread is about brand new archetypes, but I don't see that happening tbh. I would like water or grappling if we are dealing with hypotheticals.

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Shield
    Shield.. or staff.. or maybe shield.. except staff would be cool. Screw it, energy melee!... With a shield... or just shield... yeah.

..but staff tho...
    Elemental Melee
    I think we can all agree that anything in this thread is better than the Brawler archetype, which is a might rip off. Might archetypes have not been carbon copied, it is coming ppl..
  • combatclown81combatclown81 Posts: 86 Arc User
    Sonic powerset so I could make my original COH character. As for shields, it would be nice to at least have a shield for Block.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Shapeshifting/Stretchyness!
    Plants and Water also would be cool.