test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pve Arena "fight club" survival

grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
Recently read somewhere there was something in CO lore about some kind of super powered underground fight club.
Like the idea. Do not know if it's tied with the thing we see in two westside beginning missions, one where you must defeat zaretti kingpin, and another one i forget the name (first rule maybe). But whatever.

Just think it could be fun to have a repeatable mission involving your character competing in a pve arena like that.
You probably think "Why? We already have forum malvanum which is a super arena".
That's true but several aspect of FM make that it do not really correspond to what i imagine when i think of an arena. Indeed, FM is a what i would call a "team time attack arena". In my head a true arena is more "a survival arena", last man standing wins all.
Not my intention to have anything changed about FM or start a controversial debate about FM, there is already another topic for that elsewhere.
So please try to stay focused.

What i would like to be discussed here is:

A new mission, repeatable, preferably solo (but having both solo and team different circuits would be perfect), involving a succession of fights, rewarding money, and all that in a "pve arena underground fight club for super powered people" context.

This the general idea. Now some detailed points, all this would be for a solo run:

- No timer

- Succession of battles, organized in rounds.

- One round a wave of trash, the next a boss battle (1 vs 1 preferably for boss battle), repeat.

- Increase difficulty of boss each round (and by difficulty i do not mean increasing hp max of bosses, i will develop that later)

-This is a survival arena so dying and hit recover means game over ( Self rezs should be autorized in my opinion, but restricted. Example: you just died, you have 10 sec to self rez to continue the fight, else game over, if you are already on cooldown, too bad game over)

-Each round you have 15 seconds to decide if you continue the fight or stop it, no answer mean you stop. Next battle start immediatly after a positive answer. No FMV

-Level of mobs/ bosses scale with fighter level

- Reward is money + the basic exp of killed mobs, the money rewarded increase each successfull round and is also multiplied by each victory. Money is awarded when you decide to stop or if you successfully completed all rounds. If you 're killed and can't finish your round, you loose all money (or a big percentage, i let that to others appreciation). Total money winnable for a run must not be too much, but still be interesting. A smash alert allow you to win around 3g in 2 min. I let people decide how much money would be interesting without being game/economy breaking or whatever. Keep also in mind reward should also be linked to mission repeatability ( at will, daily, weekly, i let people decide)

-Even if it's a survival, this must have an end , meaning limited rounds. Do not know how many will be good before being boring, let you think about that.

- Adding a random aspect of encounters could also help reducing the boredom for people doing that mission a lot. That means the battles succession would not be the same at each run. Just keep in mind that some "mobs factions" are tougher than some others, so try to stay coherent with rounds difficulty (example: purple gang and dogz < vipers =< Demon< Trey kings). Of course, creating original mobs like wrestlers, brickhouses, boxers, freefighters etc for this should be perfect but i doubt that will happen.

- Bosses:
Open to nearly everything, but try to stay coherent. For example i could easily imagine Reaper crushing superheroes heads for money, pleasure and demonstrating viper's power, but i wonder what somebody like rakshassa would do in an underground fight club. I'm far from a lore expert, but it seems weird.
Making Nemesis cameo as an adversary boss could be cool.
Avoid putting people like gravitar, even if she can be soloed, she must not be soloed, keep her for epic ten people fight.
Also avoid colourfull uncharismatic dumbasses infused with too much power like fire and ice morons.
Perfection should be to have charismatic original bosses, but again i doubt it will happen (like all this anyway...)

-Boss difficulty:
Increasing Hp and damage (reasonnably) should not be the chosen solution for last rounds, it can work for the firsts but will rapidly be boring.
Instead try to add things forcing the player to move, block and constantly be focused on what he's doing, map hazards to avoid, aoe to dodge like those gravitar uses for example, attack sequences to imperatively block, secondary targets inflicting you debuffs or dots you have to destroy before it puts you in trouble, environments elements you have to hide behind to avoid some attacks, i do not know, various things can be done to avoid the big hp bag trap.
If you have also ideas, feel free to share.

-The arena: a lot of things can fit, a mad max 3 style steel cage, a giant ring, a big cave or sewer, the map used for pvp; it will really depend about what will be do with the boss fights.

I will not develop the same mission from a team perspective for several reasons, primarly because i am more interested by the solo aspect, which embodies more the idea of "survival" in my opinion. That being said i have nothing against the idea to have both mode available ( and two different circuits sized in consequence).

So this is it. Think it could be cool.

What's good, what's bad, what's could be better, what did i forget and
why it will never happen? (except the oversold "No time, money, resources" we are all already aware of...)

Comments

• Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    Kinda makes me wonder why we don't already have something like this.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    notyuu said:

Cause they were doin' other stuff.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    notyuu said:

A danger room had been considered multiple times, but there were issues of resources, tech and so forth that prevented it. Whether they will be able to revisit such an idea is unknown.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User

notyuu said:

A danger room had been considered multiple times, but there were issues of resources, tech and so forth that prevented it. Whether they will be able to revisit such an idea is unknown.
    literally make it like the battle station in the powerhouse just instead of a console it's a dude giving you missions which spawn the mobs/bosses in, increase the number of mobs...that'd be a solid starting point.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User

One thing i forget,
    as i highly encourage to include mechanics forcing the player to move and exploiting environment to survive during bosses encounter, please do not cancel Travel powers...

Some other random thought concerning last bosses difficulty:

In fights like gravitar boss battle, the boss got high damaging abilities. It bring a little pressure, but works well because a tanky meat shield take the major part of damage, and random strikes can target 10 different people, increasing the chance for squishy to not be harassed by damage.
    Things must be different here because the fighter is alone and it would be better if that mission was accessible to every kind of build, so relying on high brute damage to increase difficulty may not be an appropriate solution.
    To allow the less tanky builds to compete and have a chance, last bosses regular damage must be reasonnable, not weak but not too hard.
    Maybe a solution could be to have the bosses use skills dealing percentage of target max HP instead of raw brute damage ?