test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question: Any Power Frameworks/builds that have good Non-targeted abilities?

I'm a bit of a new player here, so please bear with me.
I picked this game up a long time ago, and liked it's overall theme and the concepts behind it's gameplay. But I couldn't stand the targeting system, so I eventually left before making any significant headway.
(note that I have seen a video that went over a way to make the targeting more Action-like, but it wasn't enough.)

But recently, I checked out Secret World Legends. While it has a very similar targeting system, Three of the Six classes have an alternate basic attack that does not use the standard targeting, but rather creates a conical AOE in the direction the player is facing: Not requiring a target to be even vaguely in the area. I have been fully able to tolerate the targeting system through relying on abilities like that, and thus could enjoy the rest of the game.

Remembering this game, and realizing that this game might also have attacks that don't rely on having a target selected, I went to the wiki for info.
But the Wiki seems to be lacking in quite a bit of content, with many links simply taking me to a page about "Taco-portation".
The Power Framework descriptions in-game are almost as bad, and left me still wanting for knowledge.

So now I ask you, the current players, for help. Is there any Frame-work and/or build that you know of that would suit my needs?
Note that it doesn't have to be a for-free framework: I am willing and able to pay for it, if need be.
Nor does it need to be greatly effective: I'm fine if it's not an effective way to play, I just care that I can tolerate it.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited August 2017 Answer ✓
    Well, uh.. of the free ATs, the Unleashed's Eye of the Storm is versatile enough to build around. Its dps decreases as you channel it, but instead channeling it ramps up a dmg shield. So for offense, you can re-start channels of it after 1-2 sec to reset the dps, and use full channels of EotS for when you want to turtle up w/ the shield. Only main downsides are its self-root while channeling and lower single-target dps.

(Unnamed Build) - The Unleashed
    v2.2.3-24

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Unleashed (Str: 10, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 7: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 15: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 20: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 25: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 30: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Rain of Steel
    Level 1: Blade Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Form of the Tempest
    Level 8: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Strike Down
    Level 14: Eye of the Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 21: Dragon's Wrath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 25: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 30: Relentless
    Level 35: Field Surge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 40: Force Geyser (Rank 2, Nailed to the Ground)
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

That said, its not that hard to have auto-targeting options turned on in the Controls menu of the Options, such that you just auto-target w/e is close when you try to use an attack w/o a target. This is arguably better for melee since you can only attack what is w/in range, and that lessens the chance you'll auto-attack something that you don't want to aggro. Blade Tempest is a nice melee cone for this w/ decent single-target dps. Dragon's Wrath is best for single-target dps if/when you get targeting down.

edit: forgot gearing. Gear mostly for Dex, and grab some Con and maxHP mods on the side to give you more leeway defensively.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!

Answers

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I assume that you aren't a subbed player, so you can't easily access Freeform (FF) slots (w/o buying individual ones for lotsa Zen), and so you mean to choose among Archetype (AT) builds?

Most non-targeted stuff in CO would be pbAoEs, which can be good for AoE grinding, but on the whole those won't give you good single-target dmg.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    chainchompguychainchompguy Posts: 2 Arc User
    flowcyto said:

I assume that you aren't a subbed player, so you can't easily access Freeform (FF) slots (w/o buying individual ones for lotsa Zen), and so you mean to choose among Archetype (AT) builds?

Most non-targeted stuff in CO would be pbAoEs, which can be good for AoE grinding, but on the whole those won't give you good single-target dmg.

(Ah, it seems I got Archetype mixed up with Framework.)
    Yes, for the most part, I'm looking for an archetype that best suits what I'm looking for.
    And you are correct in assuming that I am not subbed. But if a freeform slot is what I need to get the most out of this game, then I have no qualms spending a bit of Zen to get it.

I'm also fine if my Single target DPS lags behind. I assume I can compensate with gear or playing at a sub-par difficulty.

I just need an idea of what will get me the best tailored experience for my buck, before I go spending a bunch of time and money on a guess. There isn't really a try-before-you-buy system in place, as far as I know.