test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

restricted names nonsense

ericrightshow82ericrightshow82 Posts: 582 Arc User
I'm sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but I'll take a shot. First off, let me say that I know the importance of restricting certain names, especially trademarked ones. But some of these names are fairly common terms that blur the line and in my mind are a little ridiculous.

Example: I tried to make a radioactive character with "x-ray" in his name. Evidentally, there is an obscure character with that name so it's restricted. That seems silly to me, but fine. Now today I come across a Thor clone literally named "Thor". That seems more than ridiculous to me and maybe someone should go back over that list.

Comments

• Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Thor cannot be copyrighted. He's a mythological Norse God.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    which is how i was able to use the names of the four horsemen for some of my characters​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    I realize its public domain, I was only pointing out my frustration in what I feel is an innocent name, while staring at a dude that was clearly a Marvel clone.
  • Options
    well, if it was a clear marvel clone, you CAN report him and get his costume voided at the very least

as for your character's name, you could try to get around the restriction by calling them X-Rey if you don't mind renaming the character's civilian name to Rey - or if you didn't actually have a civilian name for them, now you do!​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    Just name him Radion II and go full Legacy character.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    It's a leftover from when this was to be a Marvel game. Frankly, it's fairly innocuous and not terribly widespread. Play with spelling or punctuation to get around it. It's not going to get a review after all this time.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    the list of names in this is HUGE though. It even has stuff like "Mary Walker" in the database...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I'm curious, is there somewhere online a documented list of the Prohibited names in CO?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User

the list of names in this is HUGE though. It even has stuff like "Mary Walker" in the database...

It's probably predominantly names they were actually going to use for the game characters. I wouldn't doubt X-Ray is on there because they planned to use the U-Foes at some point (they make a good Fantastic Four villain-doppleganger group).

'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Name_Restricted_List

I think this is a forgotten wiki, but this article has the names that can't be used. Idk if it has been updated.​​
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    That needs a forum spot of its own...I see XRay

I don't know who that is in comics.

So why wouldn't X-Ray work? I thought spacing were a no no.

So does X Ray and XRay and X-Ray all read the same?
  • Options
    Yeah, they're all restricted.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Here's the M:AA version: http://avengersalliance.wikia.com/wiki/X-Ray

But yeah, "classic" character who's not seen in the comics anymore.

It's probably predominantly names they were actually going to use for the game characters. I wouldn't doubt X-Ray is on there because they planned to use the U-Foes at some point (they make a good Fantastic Four villain-doppleganger group).
    Nah, I did just a quick skim, but it's Champions characters, DC, Marvel, and whatever else the people making the list felt like throwing in. I think I saw some GI Joe, Powerpuff Girls, Hellboy, Dragonball Z, along with several I didn't recognize.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    The thing is that even some of the names they have censored are public domain too..I think they just blocked some for safe measures
  • Options
    The public domain names make sense if they were planning to use those for in-game NPCs.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Well for instance the name Captain America is public domain, but not Steve Rogers Captain America...like it was some black and white tv show character.

It's confusing.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I think "Cat Girl" is restricted as well. At least it was when I tried to name my character "Kagami The Amazing Magical Cat Girl"... had to type it Gerl.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    *does wiki search*

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Catgirl

Hunh, weird and obscure.... and one of around a dozen aliases used by Duela Dent.... Although she's not the only Catgirl.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Look up Dogboy the detective
  • Options
    why? what's that?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    It's just Dogboy but it's a very disturbing comic book.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I'm just glad to see that apparently Private Parts is fine.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    By the way, this is about trademarks, not copyrights. Laws and rules are a bit different.
    Just sayin.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

By the way, this is about trademarks, not copyrights. Laws and rules are a bit different.

It's actually about both -- it's not that Cryptic is directly infringing trademarks or copyrights, it's that by letting people create clones it's assisting infringement by other people, and it's perfectly possible to do both types.
  • Options
    Now personally I'm fine with the thing in general because if this wasn't how things are we'd just have tons of marvel clones running around in game and that'd get old fast. But the whole thing is still strange to me. It's like if I went to Disney Land in a Bugs Bunny cosplay and a security guard came up to me and forced me to get rid of it.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

It's like if I went to Disney Land in a Bugs Bunny cosplay and a security guard came up to me and forced me to get rid of it.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked by Disney taking exception to you advertising a competitor's product, but the important thing there is that Disney isn't doing anything to facilitate your IP violation (cosplaying does infringe the owner's IP. Owners usually choose to ignore this fact unless someone is making money off of it).
  • Options
    "These are just my normal clothes, please stop harrassing me."