test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

SG Lairs

ghobepongghobepong Posts: 34 Arc User
Now I couldn't help myself when thinking about this. And well it's a good way for players to have something to come to as a group to privately gather and have fun.

Brace yourselves Perfectworld, the punchline is being delivered, NOW!

So here it is, you have a Super Group, and where are they suppose to go to gather? Hideout? Might cost Zen for that? Caprice Club? Mmm, might be a bit of a public troll fest there.

So where else?

How about this, if super villains can have their lairs, and our heroic groups in comics? Then by George I say Super Groups need their own lairs too.

Now you might be asking yourself why? Simple, IT'S IN THE COMICS!

To overlook this is simply to call this game laughable. Fantastic Four have their apartment/tower, the Titans have THEIR tower, Justice League either the Hall of Justice or space station, take your pick, Avengers their own base, you get the idea!

We need to stop living like it's 2009 and bring some fresh vibe to this. It could open so many doors.

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    You know what those other groups have that we don't? Money.
    Simple.
    Oh and it's in the comicbooks.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    gradii said:

Yeah unfortunately PWE has no interest in improving CO to my definition of significantly.​​

:|
    ghobepong said:

So where else?

One of the former crafting instances, champion's hq, that other club in vibora, some location in one of the zones...
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    gradii said:

Yeah unfortunately PWE has no interest in improving CO significantly.​​

Some day, people might come here and understand how economics work instead of shoving their head up their **** to spout out bullshit. Cryptic has to make judgment calls based on their finances, and CO doesn't make huge bank. SG Lairs on the level that people want would require huge amounts of time, development and investment, and with what CO makes that means months of time just focused on that. If PWE dumped the money into the game to actually do that, it would be a huge investment with a guaranteed loss to the investors, and if the money is not recouped and CO is in the red, that means CO would shut down. Period. I doubt many investors are lining up to invest in a guaranteed loss of money.

And before people try to counter that, CO has been invested in multiple times, and each time it has resulted in a net loss. This player base has been the epitome of damned if they do and damned if they don't. Furthermore, Champions is now 8 years old, MMOs gaining more than it loses in player bases after this amount of time period is basically unheard of now.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    There are plenty of locations which could be, and have been suggested for SG Lairs, but...it's actually a big task, not something that can just "be done".

There's alot to consider with it, and whilst it would be ideal and great to see, there are more pressing things which need to be looked at before SG Lairs are focused on IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    They could just like... I dunno... release current in-game locations as new player hideouts. Say, Champions HQ... just take that and release it as a hideout with a huge player limit, and then you can just invite your whole SG to your hideout and be like "Yeah, we're SGing so hard right now! Owo".

Throw in a terminal where you can access the SG bank and KABLAMZO. Nailed it.
  • Options
    more hideouts i definitely want

nothing special that would take too much time/money/black magic engine changes to build, just like the ones they're already made

at the very least, a rustic hunting cabin for my deer avenger character would be welcome​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    the real thing we need is a UI feature. There needs to be a way to access the SG hideout that's open to all members of the SG.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    gradii said:

flyingfinn wrote: »

You know what those other groups have that we don't? Money.

Simple.

Oh and it's in the comicbooks.

Yeah unfortunately PWE has no interest in improving CO significantly.​​

Funny you should mention that because if PWE doesn't want to improve one game but will throw money into another? Well that means then they're being lazy to the gaming community and are more likely to let their license expire.

HUH THAT MEANS NO MORE CHAMPIONS AND NO MORE MEANS TO MAKE MONEY AT IT!

BRILLIANT!

Totally agree with you there.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

gradii said:

Yeah unfortunately PWE has no interest in improving CO to my definition of significantly.​​

:|
    ghobepong said:

So where else?

One of the former crafting instances, champion's hq, that other club in vibora, some location in one of the zones...
    Ummmm hello, we're talking about Lairs for SGs. Not hangouts for rp. NEXT!
  • Options

the real thing we need is a UI feature. There needs to be a way to access the SG hideout that's open to all members of the SG.

Well I know in STO, they use a UI option called Transwarp that allows you to transport to fleet facilities like Starbases, and so on. Something similar like teleportation could work too.

Yeah..........in other words it's been done before in "other" games just maybe they need some "encouragement" to move the concept along.

*Pulls out The Paddle of Gamers* Okay PWE bend over and cough! ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    ghobepong said:

Ummmm hello, we're talking about Lairs for SGs. Not hangouts for rp. NEXT!

Well then Riddler, riddle me this - if you didn't want an answer detailing locations where people could gather, then why did you type:
    ghobepong said:

So here it is, you have a Super Group, and where are they suppose to go to gather? Hideout? Might cost Zen for that? Caprice Club? Mmm, might be a bit of a public troll fest there.

So where else?

If you don't even know what you want, then how can you ask for it? Woop woop! \o3o/

Also I think the problem here as well is that your knowledge is just incomplete. The game has been getting improved pretty steadily for quite a while now, maybe you just didn't bother informing yourself on that. Gradii doesn't even play the game and hasn't for a while, so he wouldn't be a reliable source.
  • Options
    These threads get amusing as he ties himself in knots and back peddles on his statements.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    ghobepong said:

Well that means then they're being lazy to the gaming community and are more likely to let their license expire.

BRILLIANT!

The intellectual property rights to the Champions setting are held by Cryptic They bought the setting outright rather than licensing it.

So this is a non-issue.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options

ghobepong said:

Well that means then they're being lazy to the gaming community and are more likely to let their license expire.

BRILLIANT!

The intellectual property rights to the Champions setting are held by Cryptic They bought the setting outright rather than licensing it.

So this is a non-issue.
    Pretty much this. Cryptic/PWE owns the Champions License lock stock and two smoking barrels. From my understanding, Hero Games have some special proxy deal that they can continue making Champions IP based material for the PnP.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    This is funny stuff.

Now comes the long rants and insecure insults.
  • Options

ghobepong said:

BRILLIANT!

So this is a non-issue.
    Pretty much this. Cryptic/PWE owns the Champions License lock stock and two smoking barrels. From my understanding, Hero Games have some special proxy deal that they can continue making Champions IP based material for the PnP.
    Hmm is it a source that can be used for CO?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

ghobepong said:

BRILLIANT!

So this is a non-issue.
    Hmm is it a source that can be used for CO?
    I believe that HeroGames has to conference about lore and specific stuff in Champions but for the most part as far as I am aware they get the greenlight for most things.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Basically, when the Marvel deal fell through, Cryptic decided "okay, this licensing stuff is super annoying. What can we just buy". Hero Games was a struggling tabletop RPG maker (at the time I think it had four staff, some of whom were part time). As such, the amount of money required to appeal to them was relatively small compared to even a fairly small MMO; they originally wanted to license the property, but when Cryptic insisted, they agreed to sell with a reverse license so the could continue with their own property.
  • Options
    Which is possibly the reason CO will be around so long as Cryptic is. It might even live on after that if PWE gets it, but I definitely don't see Cryptic shutting down their baby.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Which is possibly the reason CO will be around so long as Cryptic is. It might even live on after that if PWE gets it, but I definitely don't see Cryptic shutting down their baby.

Well Cryptic doesn't really exist anymore. It's there is name only. I think Champions is the only game now that isn't lambasted with the PWE logo, which is kind of nice, but sad at the same time because despite all its faults, I liked Cryptic.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    I think Cryptic is a sub division of PWE now?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Yeah, it's a wholly owned Perfect World subsidiary.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Yeah, it's a wholly owned Perfect World subsidiary.

Here's why I disagree with that assessment; any of Neverwinter or STO's highlight videos released for those games, the intro always features the PWE logo, but never the Cryptic logo anymore. I think the Cryptic logo is only displayed in the games because the engine is still referred to as the Cryptic engine. Needless to say, these lead me to believe that Cryptic exists in name only and that the studio is considered PWE now for NA or whatever region they label it as.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, that's what I meant. It's wholly owned by Perfect World.

Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    This is still important as far as internal division of labor is concerned.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

Yeah, that's what I meant. It's wholly owned by Perfect World.

Sorry, it just sounded like you said that Cryptic was still there. But I guess it was bound to happen to a small game developer as it usually does.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Well, it is listed as a corporation in it's own right (C.E.O., management team, etc)....albeit one that's 100% owned by PW.

Saying that it's a wholly owned PW subsidiary is factually correct. The discussion that may be had is "What does that actually mean in real operational terms?".
    Post edited by themightyzenith on
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Well, it likely means what it always means. Cryptic still exists, and is owned by PWE. Kind of like how your toaster exists, and is owned by you.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    more precisely, it has a separate budget from the rest of PWE. along with that is salary etc... Point beign that while it's rather simple to have someone from Cryptic switch from STO to NW or CO, switching to something outside Cryptic... not likely.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited July 2017

more precisely, it has a separate budget from the rest of PWE. along with that is salary etc... Point beign that while it's rather simple to have someone from Cryptic switch from STO to NW or CO, switching to something outside Cryptic... not likely.

Just like my toaster!

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options