test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dog CCing Made EZ(er)

So, I've noticed a recent influx of new CCers and that is great. But, also, that includes a recent influx of all the same old complaints about CCing dogs. The timers get off. The dogs run off. Etc etc, you all know them. You're spamming sprites or whatever, with Challenge, and thanks to a few wipes, dog aggro is going bananas and you can't seem to get a handle on them.

BUT!

I bring you an easy fix for pretty all your problems! (Not really all, but this will help a lot.) CCers, get yourself a pair of those OV Gloves of the Defender. YES, the ones for tanks. Using those, with R1 Sprites + Challenge, I can easily lock down aggro on those dogs in just a few applications. Once you have aggro locked down, that makes keeping the dogs down much easier. Obviously, this doesn't fix a terrible CCer, but if you know the routine and have a decent build, this will help you.

That's pretty much it. Otherwise, just use your own regular method, and you will notice you lose control a lot less. For me, I prefer to use the Sleep - Stun method. I've tried a variety and I have noticed that one has less chance for the dogs get off-synch or running away. Start by sleeping them, then when the sleep is a few seconds from wearing off, give them a kick (STUN), then immediately re-sleep them. The Stun wakes them up and resets the timers, so when you re-sleep them, you know your timers are lined up. Yes, you'll be suffering under 2 stacks hold resist, but it doesn't really matter. As long as you have a long enough sleep, the stacks will go away well before your sleep runs out. I don't even bother to hold my stacks of Manipulator, anymore.

Hope this helps!
- - - - -
SIGNATURE:
Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    The issue with stun-sleep, other than just being busier, is that the damage (which breaks the sleep) and the stun itself aren't perfectly synced, so if you don't have aggro control one of the dogs might bolt. As long as you do have aggro, using pure sleep (which means you have to let them wake up briefly) usually keeps things synced well enough.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Good tip. That was going to be my plan. Just wondering, what about a Confront mod in some piece of gear instead? What level mod would get you the same effect as the Defender glove?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    layenelayene Posts: 63 Arc User

Good tip. That was going to be my plan. Just wondering, what about a Confront mod in some piece of gear instead? What level mod would get you the same effect as the Defender glove?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the gloves give 10% of damage as threat whereas a r5 Confront mod gives 15% damage as threat. So, the mod should give plenty of threat but you wouldn't get the shield that comes with the gloves.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    layene said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the gloves give 10% of damage as threat whereas a r5 Confront mod gives 15% damage as threat. So, the mod should give plenty of threat but you wouldn't get the shield that comes with the gloves.
    This jibes with what I have heard. The reason I went for the OV gloves was because I could farm VTs while also farming GCR, so I could get them sooner than GCR Secondary, if that makes any sense.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User

The issue with stun-sleep, other than just being busier, is that the damage (which breaks the sleep) and the stun itself aren't perfectly synced, so if you don't have aggro control one of the dogs might bolt.

You can address this by using a root such as Entangling Mesh
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    Also, tip regarding threat generation if you are using an AoE that can apply primary challenge.

Rotate your primary target among the dogs. Not only does primary challenge generate more than 2x the threat of secondary, but it also stacks with secondary challenge. By rotating your target, you ensure that all dogs have both primary and secondary challenge on them, making it much easier to keep aggro.

If you're still having trouble keeping aggro as a Support role CCer then start off by CCing them in Hybrid role and swap to Support once you've secured their aggro.
  • Options
    kamokami said:

Also, tip regarding threat generation if you are using an AoE that can apply primary challenge.

Rotate your primary target among the dogs. Not only does primary challenge generate more than 2x the threat of secondary, but it also stacks with secondary challenge. By rotating your target, you ensure that all dogs have both primary and secondary challenge on them, making it much easier to keep aggro.

If you're still having trouble keeping aggro as a Support role CCer then start off by CCing them in Hybrid role and swap to Support once you've secured their aggro.

Ooh, great tip about rotating! I don't seem to have any aggro issues since I started using my OV Gloves, but I'm going to do that, anyway, just to make darn sure.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    kamokami said:

Awesome tips!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Yes, things that increase your aggro are good for keeping aggro on things o3o /contribution
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Yes, things that increase your aggro are good for keeping aggro on things o3o /contribution

Smarty pants. ;)
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE: