test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advice for what to do with a bum character?

2»

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Hidden files?
    Are they spying on us?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    erile#2692 erile Posts: 70 Arc User

Hidden files?
    Are they spying on us?

I'm going to take the high road and be constructive.

Hidden files is a broad term used to refer to various things. It included files in cryptic places that are hard to find, files marked as "hidden" by your OS that are normally invisible and unsearchable, and editables within things like your registry. In my case, PWE did install files as "hidden" in a Users folder and does have registry files that I dealt with.

And yes, it includes the tracking cookies and software that many websites and companies install on your computer. PWE does put monitoring software on your computer, at a minimum to to monitor the game use.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Hmm... I always set my computer to show hidden and system files. Part of your problem might be that you deleted the entire directory. Manually creating an empty one with the same name might have helped.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    erile#2692 erile Posts: 70 Arc User

Hmm... I always set my computer to show hidden and system files. Part of your problem might be that you deleted the entire directory. Manually creating an empty one with the same name might have helped.

Yes, I have mine set the same way. But it doesn't help the search function, and it doesn't let you know which ones might be the ones interfering with a program working properly. Literally, only PWE/Arc would be easily capable of knowing which were interfering. And when they finally told me after a month of trying to get them to tell me, it worked fine.

And having an empty file folder didn't work - I tried it. Because of a file in a hidden folder, the reinstall refused to allow removal or reinstall without directly accessing the files in the main folder (which were also interfering). There is just a lot of coding problems with their entire install/uninstall/reinstall/repair processes - it was coded to work a certain way and interfered with itself.

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Yes, I have mine set the same way. But it doesn't help the search function, and it doesn't let you know which ones might be the ones interfering with a program working properly. Literally, only PWE/Arc would be easily capable of knowing which were interfering. And when they finally told me after a month of trying to get them to tell me, it worked fine.

And having an empty file folder didn't work - I tried it. Because of a file in a hidden folder, the reinstall refused to allow removal or reinstall without directly accessing the files in the main folder (which were also interfering). There is just a lot of coding problems with their entire install/uninstall/reinstall/repair processes - it was coded to work a certain way and interfered with itself.
    I'm kinda curious what folder, now.

IIRC there are in windows advanced search options for searching hidden and system files.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters