test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So, what good are UNITY missions now?

Now that you get SC rep with every Alert, what good are UNITY missions? It seems like they should have gotten...something(questionite?) to make them still worth doing. Or am I just missing something?

@ladygadfly @crypticarkayne @splosions​​

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

Comments

• holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    Creeps in UNITY missions have a x% chance to drop SCR.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    The whole point was to get us filthy single-players to do team content. Why would they want to make UNITY worth playing?

(No seriously, Kaiserin explicitly says in one of the PTS threads that SCR rewards were being intentionally moved to team content, and that UNITY was too much SCR for a solo activity. I'm paraphrasing, because there's like a dozen PTS threads, many of which go to 10 pages, discussing what ended up being the big patch).
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    You only get SCR for the daily Alert mission, not every alert.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Honestly, all the non-daily Unity missions are complete trash. Can we just get them removed and go directly to the dailies that are at least somewhat fun?
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer
    We're going to be taking a look at UNITY missions at some point and doing a refresh/revamp of them.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    We're going to be taking a look at UNITY missions at some point and doing a refresh/revamp of them.

oooooo~ exciting!
    looking forward​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User

This is fairly reassuring. A few have good ideas but poor execution. Some of UNITY 2 is fairly buggy as far as unlocks are concerned. Should we start a dedicated thread for this? I know some opinions vary a fair bit on UNITY's positives and flaws.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Thank you so much for the response. If you would tolerate an impassioned plea: One of my favorite things about the UNITY missions is that they are one of the few things at end game that give you a reason to actually go back out into the world of Champs rather than just standing around RenCen waiting for a queue to pop.

Champs has a *huge* sandbox for people to play in, but it's almost completely wasted at end game because 99% of the content isn't actually in the "real" world, it's in a queue. PLEASE do not scrap these missions. PLEASE give them better rewards and even add some new missions to the dozen or so that exist to give people a real(rewarding) reason to keep enjoying traveling the awesome locations in the game world.

@ladygadfly @crypticarkayne @splosions​​

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    Pure wild guess but considering that they want more team-oriented contents, I really don't think that this revamp will be solo-friendly.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    And a further plea, something that's become a concern of mine - PLEASE do NOT "balance" the UNITY missions around some arbitrary gear level. What with the recent increase to the cost of Heroic gear, and the fact that I didn't have a set already, I'm unlikely to ever experience the new Telios lair; please don't set up UNITY so I have the same problem. I can't rely on random drops from things like Rampages, or good gear from the missions out in the world, because the RNG hates me. Same goes for unlocking lockboxes for gear, on those rare occasions when I have the Resources or Zen to spare to buy a key or two.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User

Pure wild guess but considering that they want more team-oriented contents, I really don't think that this revamp will be solo-friendly.

jonsills said:

And a further plea, something that's become a concern of mine - PLEASE do NOT "balance" the UNITY missions around some arbitrary gear level. What with the recent increase to the cost of Heroic gear, and the fact that I didn't have a set already, I'm unlikely to ever experience the new Telios lair; please don't set up UNITY so I have the same problem. I can't rely on random drops from things like Rampages, or good gear from the missions out in the world, because the RNG hates me. Same goes for unlocking lockboxes for gear, on those rare occasions when I have the Resources or Zen to spare to buy a key or two.

Both quotes seconded.

Soloist is getting to be the new "dirty casual". It may be massively multiplayer online but I've never found the all teaming all the time in MMO that people seem to think is in there.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Posts: 182 Cryptic Developer

jonsills said:

Both quotes seconded.

Soloist is getting to be the new "dirty casual". It may be massively multiplayer online but I've never found the all teaming all the time in MMO that people seem to think is in there.
    We hear ya. There are plans to provide more solo end-game content. We're just focused on group-based content and rewards at the moment.

We hear ya. There are plans to provide more solo end-game content. We're just focused on group-based content and rewards at the moment.

zip mouth and is rather relieghed to be wrong.
    Thanks for the responses, @crypticarkayne

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2016

Good, now everybody crying about "Cryptic is forcing us to do team content!" can shut up. I know they won't, but they can now.
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User

I'm excited to see your vision for the "new" champions online.
    Maybe before Q1 is over we can get another SOTG?

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    spinnytop said:

Good, now everybody crying about "Cryptic is forcing us to do team content!" can shut up. I know they won't, but they can now.

The irony is sadlarious.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2016

jonsills said:

Both quotes seconded.

Including that statement when you gutted UNITY and shkrelied the heroic cost was such an obviously good move its omission sent a pretty strong signal.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited February 2016
    spinnytop said:

Crying about other people crying is still crying. So now that I have hopefully illustrated the silliness of calling other people's complaints "crying" simply because you do not agree with them, here is my actual point:

I definitely appreciate the dev responses in this thread. And I really hope the *plans* that Arkayne mentioned do happen. But I have played games long enough to know that plans change. At the end of the day, all that actually matters is what is *in* game. So until this UNTIL revamp and more focus on solo content *actually* happens, then it's just talk. That being the case, if people want more solo content they should *keep* asking for it until the day it is actually in game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg

spinnytop said:

The irony is sadlarious.
    It would only be ironic if I was crying about cryptic forcing us to do team content. Yes yes I know, you would rather that people who support dev decisions and see the sense in them just shut their mouths, but it's not gonna happen.

Crying about other people crying is still crying.

Crying about people crying about other people is also crying. How far you wanna play this game? :smiley:
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    jonsills said:

And a further plea, something that's become a concern of mine - PLEASE do NOT "balance" the UNITY missions around some arbitrary gear level. What with the recent increase to the cost of Heroic gear, and the fact that I didn't have a set already, I'm unlikely to ever experience the new Telios lair.

If you haven't managed to get a single set of Heroic gear in the time since you started playing, you obviously weren't running UNITY to start with, so why do you care? As far as gear checks go for TA, you don't need Heroics. However, if your first reaction to having problems is "this is too hard, I'm going to go complain", rather than "this is hard, I should figure out how to do it better", then yeah, you're not going to be welcome...
    spinnytop said:

Crying about people crying about other people is also crying. How far you wanna play this game? :smiley:
    Yeah, I'm hoping you got the actual point.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Yay! More constant bickering!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    My problem is that it's been difficult to find teams that want to do TA when I am on. Another problem is that people leave the team for whatever reason. Very discouraging waiting around for 40 minutes for a team to form and someone leave 30 minutes into the run. I'd rather do LI 3 times in a row than that. Now, if one of the cool kids who knows how this is supposed to be handled would invite me to a team and give me a few pointers I would try this content more seriously. Right now it is not efficient use of game time,

Johnsills, if you send me an email in game I will send you 3 pieces of heroic gear. Then you can be a cool kid too.
    If you haven't managed to get a single set of Heroic gear in the time since you started playing, you obviously weren't running UNITY to start with, so why do you care? As far as gear checks go for TA, you don't need Heroics. However, if your first reaction to having problems is "this is too hard, I'm going to go complain", rather than "this is hard, I should figure out how to do it better", then yeah, you're not going to be welcome...
    ​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User

Thank you so much for the response. If you would tolerate an impassioned plea: One of my favorite things about the UNITY missions is that they are one of the few things at end game that give you a reason to actually go back out into the world of Champs rather than just standing around RenCen waiting for a queue to pop.

Champs has a *huge* sandbox for people to play in, but it's almost completely wasted at end game because 99% of the content isn't actually in the "real" world, it's in a queue. PLEASE do not scrap these missions. PLEASE give them better rewards and even add some new missions to the dozen or so that exist to give people a real(rewarding) reason to keep enjoying traveling the awesome locations in the game world.
    I completely agree.

The Unity missions are a really well laid out end-game system, they just needed a little loot boost to get folks interested in them and out in the world of Champs again. (see arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1194058/make-unity-endgame-content-viable-again)

I'm glad to hear they will be given some attention, but please, as others have said above, the system is nearly perfect right now - please, PLEASE don't break it in a rush to make it 'more better'!
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Hooray dev feedback!

Let's all continue complaining.

edited February 2016
    Yay! Moan at those who disagree with the new "direction".
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User

you really expect any other response?​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Eh, what fun is an echo chamber anyway?

photo the-bat-palm.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    edited February 2016

photo the-bat-palm.jpg

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you have not actually said *ANYTHING* relating to the subject of this thread.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016

snip

I'll just stop you there. I am not at all against your thread OR the subject of the thread. What I was talking about is the bickering and ad nauseum repeating of arguments that was starting to happen in it.

The same kind of stuff that is happening more than usual at the moment in at least two other threads (one of which was closed because of it) in this part of the forums and makes us all look bad.

Pretty sure that accusations of "trolling" are not the kind of behaviour supported by the mods. Don't assume that I am against your thread.

zrdRBy8.png
    I am pretty excited that we have more things to look forward to and that the devs appear to be actually paying attention. Sure not everything is perfect and it is apparently still a work in progress, but I remain excited by the fact that at least they're acknowledging our existences and making an effort to improve things.

edited February 2016

snip

I'll just stop you there. I am not at all against your thread OR the subject of the thread. What I was talking about is the bickering and ad nauseum repeating of arguments that was starting to happen in it.
    The problem is, you're not actually discussing the topic of the thread. Which makes everything you *are* posting off topic. I would love to hear any thoughts you *do* have about the topic of the thread, but you aren't contributing anything with constant off topic comments about people arguing.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016
    *I* think *you* should calm down and *stop* trying to *call* me *out*.
    zrdRBy8.png

I think you should calm down and stop trying to call me out.

"Calm down"

"No, you calm down"

"No, YOU calm down"

See how silly that is? I'm calm, just like I'm sure you are. Again though, do you actually have anything you wanted to add to the subject of the thread?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016

;)

zrdRBy8.png

LOL, ok. I'll take that as a "no". Thanks :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Constant bickering indeed ;)

I'm off up the wooden stairs to Bedfordshire now. Have fun.
    zrdRBy8.png

Constant bickering indeed ;)

Thanks for the bump :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    Unity missions nowadays are more of a "Here's an extra bit of SCR you can go for if you really want to" now. It isn't a wholesome meal anymore, but if you run it all, it's not that bad. 15-20 minutes for about 8-10 SCR. It's still a bit better than some other sources, but is a bit limiting on its own.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

deadman20 said:

Unity missions nowadays are more of a "Here's an extra bit of SCR you can go for if you really want to" now. It isn't a wholesome meal anymore, but if you run it all, it's not that bad. 15-20 minutes for about 8-10 SCR. It's still a bit better than some other sources, but is a bit limiting on its own.​​

I agree, they aren't worthless. But they do feel like your time isn't worth as much as it is elsewhere, which is a shame, IMO. Like I said earlier, the UNITY missions are pretty much the only reason to go out into the open world after you get to end game. Standing around RenCen waiting on a queue is so...lame...when Champs has such a big sandbox world. But we need rewarding reasons to go out and play in it.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Want UNITY to encourage teamplay in UNITY? Make each mission grant 1 SCR upon completion for every player on your team in the mission. You don't need to do anything but make that apply to rewards. Also increase SCR drops from random mobs to a visible level.

More solo content? The only content in the game that can be played solo is the mission and story lines and Cryptic doesn't do that anymore (not since 2012).

Complaints about Cryptic making players play with teams won't be satiated until Cryptic actually SHOWS that they are implementing things that can be done solo. Until then, its all lies.​​
    I wish UNITY2 wasn't so long/complicated to get started.

Less tomb running.

My problem is that it's been difficult to find teams that want to do TA when I am on. Another problem is that people leave the team for whatever reason. Very discouraging waiting around for 40 minutes for a team to form and someone leave 30 minutes into the run. I'd rather do LI 3 times in a row than that. Now, if one of the cool kids who knows how this is supposed to be handled would invite me to a team and give me a few pointers I would try this content more seriously. Right now it is not efficient use of game time,

Johnsills, if you send me an email in game I will send you 3 pieces of heroic gear. Then you can be a cool kid too.

​​

hit me up in game, I run it just about every day and I'm not stingy with who comes with.

I also want Jonsils to come with me, but we all know he would never risk that... someone bringing him along without caring about his build or gear and then him successfully finishing the "too leet" content... it'd shatter his whole world view.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but you have not actually said *ANYTHING* relating to the subject of this thread.

Why say something when you can try to stand above it all and pass judgement on people for having a conversation. He's basically good for a snarky one-liner now and then.
  • kyastralkyastral Posts: 342 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

Crying about other people crying is still crying. So now that I have hopefully illustrated the silliness of calling other people's complaints "crying" simply because you do not agree with them, here is my actual point:

I definitely appreciate the dev responses in this thread. And I really hope the *plans* that Arkayne mentioned do happen. But I have played games long enough to know that plans change. At the end of the day, all that actually matters is what is *in* game. So until this UNTIL revamp and more focus on solo content *actually* happens, then it's just talk. That being the case, if people want more solo content they should *keep* asking for it until the day it is actually in game.

spinnytop said:

Yeah, I'm hoping you got the actual point.

photo the-bat-palm.jpg

snip

The same kind of stuff that is happening more than usual at the moment in at least two other threads (one of which was closed because of it) in this part of the forums and makes us all look bad.

Pretty sure that accusations of "trolling" are not the kind of behaviour supported by the mods. Don't assume that I am against your thread.

snip

The problem is, you're not actually discussing the topic of the thread. Which makes everything you *are* posting off topic. I would love to hear any thoughts you *do* have about the topic of the thread, but you aren't contributing anything with constant off topic comments about people arguing.
    Hmmm.... I may be wrong, but I think it'ts time to close this thread; it has quickly gone in the wrong direction....
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User

This discussion has been closed.