test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Revisiting my first toon

My first toon, made back in 2009, was Power Armor, then Power Armor/Darkness, then mostly Darkness. Way back then, the build I had was optimized for Cosmics, in particular Therakiel and Takofanes, and he excelled at those. But those days are long gone, and, trying to adapt with the various changes made since 2009, he's been tweaked here and there quite a bit over the years. Here's what I've got right now:

PowerHouse   (Link to this build)

Name: Eclipse v1.1

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Void
Level 6: Acrobat
Level 9: Agile
Level 12: Ascetic
Level 15: Enduring
Level 18: Indomitable
Level 21: Shooter

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
Level 1: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Dark Displacement)
Level 6: Ebon Void (Voracious Darkness)
Level 8: Void Horror (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Dark Transfusion (Blood Sacrifice)
Level 17: Summon Shadows (Rank 2, Devouring Darkness)
Level 20: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Defiance
Level 26: Concentration
Level 29: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Paranormal Paranoia)
Level 35: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2)
Level 38: Endbringer's Grasp

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots
Level 35: Shadow Wings

Specializations:
Constitution: Unyielding (2/2)
Constitution: Tough (2/3)
Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
Constitution: Armored (2/2)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

I originally had the Primal Sigils in place of Endbringer's Grasp, and had The Best Defense instead of Find the Mark, but changed them recently. I'm not sure either change was positive, so as long as I'm burning a retcon token, might as well ask for advice on what else to change.

My rotation went something like: Summon Shadows, drop Sigils, then pop Dark Transfusion, charge Ebon Ruin & Chest Beam, then use either Shadow Embrace or Lifedrain depending on my health, then repeat.

I like having both passives & both forms for flexibility, though I'd sooner give up IDF than Concentration. I have Heroic primaries, but just level 40 purple-quality secondaries at the moment; having altitis kept me from grinding out any named sets for secondaries so far, but looking to do so now for this guy, at least.

Was thinking of switching primary SS, to take better advantage of Concentration, and improve overall DPS, since it's not 2009 anymore, and that niche he used to fill tanking & spanking Therakiel and Takofanes is the distant past. Would like to keep IDF, but was also thinking of ditching it, to end up with something like this:

Name: Eclipse v2

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Void
Level 9: Agile
Level 15: Enduring
Level 18: Indomitable
Level 21: Shooter

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt (Despondency)
Level 14: Dark Transfusion (Blood Sacrifice)
Level 32: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Nyctophobia, Paranormal Paranoia)
Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 38: Shadow Shroud

Travel Powers:
Level 35: Shadow Wings

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

I favor AoPM/Concentration, but will drop back to Defiance and/or IDF as needed. Right now, with AoPM, Dex is 329, Con is 342, and Ego is 285.

The change to restore The Best Defense is pretty much obligatory, but is it worth it to shuffle the super-stats to push Ego higher? I can get better energy mgmt out of Ego, I guess, which after the CDR nerf is a bit more of an issue--Dark Transfusion spends a bit of time in cooldown. But can I overcome that cooldown gap via better gearing? (Have a Heroic primary w/CDR and Cost Reduction, but no secondary). Should I use a different combination of SS (Dex/Con/Int, with Ego gear, maybe)?

Also, I haven't ranked the TPs in forever; I used to use a Become Chaos Demon (Purple) device, and now use a vehicle. Any reason I would need to rank them?

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    AoPM builds work well w/ Int PSS. I may consider an Int focus over an Ego focus, since Ego's additive ranged dmg soft-caps at 70 anyways. I may also try not to rely on DT for more energy; AoPM + some End + Preparation + Conc, and getting a real EU (MSA or Spirit Reverb) can all make DT's energy not as needed.

Ranking TPs is nice when ya can't use a vehicle (indoors), and for fights like Gravi. I'd also normally do it cause Vehicles can be a bit annoying to control sometimes, though there are also TPs that are too floaty. I'd normally rank up at least one of the TPs, but its not an essential thing either.

Ego Surge w/ NM would also be a better burst dps cd than Shadow Shroud. I may also consider adding an AD and/or another heal to the build.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    thecegorachthecegorach Posts: 60 Arc User
    First, flowcyto, thanks for the reply. I appreciate your insight.

Dark Transfusion also adds bonus damage, though, so would it not still be desirable?

Concentration would scale off Int, so that could work, too; what Specs then? The defense penetration one, presumably?

Will consider Spirit Reverb--already have several Fear-generating powers, including the advantage on the EB. May slot that in for Shadow Shroud, though I like the idea of rotating between two AOs.
  • Options
    Considering the CDR nerf, DT's dmg boost adv is unfortunately not going to be as good, as its uptime will be lower. It can still be okay as a burst dps boost on ur charged powers here, but for overall dps I'd look into other means that don't come w/ all the penalties that using DT gives. Maybe like changing Shadow Shroud to a crit-boosting AO (Imbue, Ice Sheath, or LnL) to pair w/ ES/NM, and/or adding an on-next hit effect, or maybe a hard hitting cd- like Fire All Weapons (since ya can use some PA here), or adding a decent ultimate.

Ofc, that free power slot can also be used for other things, like adding an active defense (MD or Unbreakable), another heal, a self (or ally) res, etc.

If using Int PSS, then I'd keep ur Guardiactor specs, and take these:
    Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    With Int @ 328 as PSS, 300-ish Con, and Spirit Reverb, energy management isn't an issue any longer, and Dark Transfusion can be kept up continuously. Dex and Con are secondaries, sitting at 298 (Dex) and 293 (Con) with current mix of gear and talents.

I therefore took Tactician instead of Preparation, as I'm able to fully charge Chest Beam and/or Ebon Ruin, and do a full maintain on Shadow Embrace, without using Dark Transfusion (it's slot was actually empty to test this). Should I consider that sufficient, or should I be dropping some Int to push Dex higher for higher crit %? (Currently at 43.3%, with 75% severity.) I don't really remember what the benchmarks are for offense/defense/crit chance/severity after years away.

Also, I'd taken 2 pts in Tenacious vs. the 2 pts you have in Find the Mark. Easy enough to fix if needed. What's the return on the 20% chance for 9% extra crit chance if damaged vs. 50 extra Offense from Tenacious, which feeds the Guardicator loop?

Last, I thought Intel mastery was so-so--though I do have the specs to get more out of non-SS, and am primarily using AoPM. But how does that compare to an extra 3% dmg from Vindicator (what I currently have--that's the amount I should be getting out of it, per the tooltip)? I know Cryptic math is, well, cryptic--hehehe--so I'm not trying to argue with you, just trying to understand for my own benefit the whys and wherefores, so I can make better choices on my own.

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, and was thinking of filling last slot with the Sigils again--Primal? Whichever shock the heck outta baddies. Those used to work very well. I know they're positioning dependent, but how would you rate those vs. another AO? Ranked up, wouldn't they be more DPS (if you can get the baddies to stand in them, granted)?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Chest beam is no longer useful as a power dip, since the debuff is now crushing/particle. There unfortunately aren't a lot of good paranormal debuffs left, so not sure what to suggest in its place.
  • Options
    Crit rating and Dex share the same DR curve for crit%, which diminishes pretty harshly as ya stack more. I'd prob keep Int higher since it fuels Concentration and Detect Vuln scaling.

Find the Mark is better w/ maintains and tap-spammed attacks, due to its %proc nature. I'd expect between 0-2 stacks when using charged moves w/ 2 points in it; not great, but Offense doesn't give great returns either if ur already getting a ton of Offense from the Best Defense and Aggressive Stance loop. Other option is to go more defensive and take Warden for Elusive's AoE dmg resist (identical picks other than FtM_Tenacious -> Elusive).

Vindicator Mastery's dmg boosts are in the passive/earliest layer in the dmg algorithms, last I checked, so that makes them pretty weak for most FF builds where that dmg bonus diminishes harshly when stacked.

Int Mastery isn't brilliant (har), but imo its better w/ AoPM and Enlightened than Guardian or Vind Masteries.

Yea, primal are the sigils to take for sustained dps, though it can be tough to find an ideal situation for them (stationary boss, no heavy AoE splash dmg). They're great when ya can get full mileage outta them, though.
  • Options

Chest beam is no longer useful as a power dip, since the debuff is now crushing/particle. There unfortunately aren't a lot of good paranormal debuffs left, so not sure what to suggest in its place.

Hmm. Well, it still hits the hardest of my attacks, so still good for raw damage if not for debuff.
  • Options
    flowcyto said:

Crit rating and Dex share the same DR curve for crit%, which diminishes pretty harshly as ya stack more. I'd prob keep Int higher since it fuels Concentration and Detect Vuln scaling.

Find the Mark is better w/ maintains and tap-spammed attacks, due to its %proc nature. I'd expect between 0-2 stacks when using charged moves w/ 2 points in it; not great, but Offense doesn't give great returns either if ur already getting a ton of Offense from the Best Defense and Aggressive Stance loop. Other option is to go more defensive and take Warden for Elusive's AoE dmg resist (identical picks other than FtM_Tenacious -> Elusive).

Vindicator Mastery's dmg boosts are in the passive/earliest layer in the dmg algorithms, last I checked, so that makes them pretty weak for most FF builds where that dmg bonus diminishes harshly when stacked.

Int Mastery isn't brilliant (har), but imo its better w/ AoPM and Enlightened than Guardian or Vind Masteries.

Yea, primal are the sigils to take for sustained dps, though it can be tough to find an ideal situation for them (stationary boss, no heavy AoE splash dmg). They're great when ya can get full mileage outta them, though.

Ok, will mull this over. Thanks for the info!

• Options
    Oh, and if I may--what about Dark Transfusion as a +dmg buff? Is that not worthwhile, or is it another victim of diminishing returns?
  • Options

Oh, and if I may--what about Dark Transfusion as a +dmg buff? Is that not worthwhile, or is it another victim of diminishing returns?

It suffers from diminishing returns, but it's a pretty decent base magnitude. I wouldn't take DT just for it, but if you've got DT anyway it's probably worth taking.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Hmm. So, worth dropping DT/Blood Sacrifice (since I don't need the energy anymore) for another AO (unranked) and using the 2 adv. pts to rank a TP? (Shadow Flight, since Jet Boots can't be charged from standing and takes a while to get to max speed?)

And, last question for now--I use the debuff on Ebon Ruin a lot (shadows, void horror, shadow embrace), but damage-wise, it's very much outperformed by chest beam, so I was thinking of dropping its advantages to just Paranormal Paranoia, and using those advantage points elsewhere. Would I be doing myself a disservice by doing that--i.e., is there any reason I shouldn't be just tapping it for the debuff then moving right along?

Current thinking:

Name: Eclipse v2.3

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 15: Shooter
    Level 18: Healthy Mind
    Level 21: Academics

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 11: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 14: Sigils of the Primal Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ebon Ruin (Paranormal Paranoia)
    Level 35: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 38: Spirit Reverberation

Travel Powers:
    Level 35: Shadow Wings (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Enlightened (3/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Intelligence Mastery (1/1)
    Post edited by thecegorach on
  • Options

Hmm. So, worth dropping DT/Blood Sacrifice (since I don't need the energy anymore) for another AO (unranked) and using the 2 adv. pts to rank a TP? (Shadow Flight, since Jet Boots can't be charged from standing and takes a while to get to max speed?)

Why do you have two flight travel powers anyway? There's not really a reason to use whichever one you leave unranked.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    *shrug* Left over from years ago, never changed them.

Edit: I never liked the animation on Superspeed, and back then, Mach Speed wasn't an option.
  • Options
    Chest Beam vs. ERuin: although ya can tap ERuin for its special adv debuff just fine, ultimately its a bit up to you how you want to end up playing the build. Chest Beam may net higher sustained dps (its base dps is ~20% higher than ERuin), but then ur also playing it more like a PA toon when it comes to single target fights, and Chest beam does cost a bit more (though both are quite energy-heavy to spam). Chest Beam also cannot proc Spirit Reverb, so that could impact sustained dps if ya have to end build more to afford it.

I generally get one TP to R3- the one I use most often. Tends to be a ground-based one since those tend to be easier to use indoors, but depending on theme that could change. Its kinda up to 'feel' when it comes to handling the TPs.
  • Options
    I've flipflopped a few times over the years whether I want to emphasize the more tech/power armor side, or the mystic side. Since we have six builds available, a few are set up with his power armor costume, and a few with his robes. When in power armor, I use the jet boots; when in robes, shadow flight or even the legacy Storm Rider (which, sadly, is only R1). I'll sort that out, but I've never had a ground-based that felt right with him.

...though I do have an extra Dark Speed just sitting in my bank. Hmmm....
  • Options
    I'm still vacillating on one or two powers. What I'm going to do in the meantime is to push the Sigils to the last power, so I can then respec that one power and try the other few things I'm considering in it's place relatively cheaply.

What I do need to know are some rough benchmarks for crit %, crit severity, offense and defense to help me figure out what I want in that last slot, and whether I want Find the Mark or Elusive. For instance, I'm not on that toon right now, but I think he's got 44% crit chance with 75% severity--so if (say) 40% is good enough crit chance, than Elusive would be a better choice; if the goal is 50%, then Find the Mark should stay.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I think at that point you'd be heavy into crit rating's DR. Maybe try slotting in a cheap (r4-5) gambler's gem and see how much crit% that gives; if its like +1% then I'd prob forget about it. 75% severity sounds about right for a baseline for an Int PSS build w/ Guard_Wardicator, though it sounds like ya didn't gear any extra severity rating. If that's the case, then I'd get a severity bonus on gear somewhere, as you haven't run into its DR yet (which the flat% from specs don;t count towards).
  • Options
    Ok, thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    After trying Teleios once or twice, I'm re-revisiting this guy. Now want to try this:

Name: Eclipse v3 (Ego)

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 6: Ascetic
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Impresario
    Level 15: Shooter
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
    Level 1: Shadow Bolt
    Level 6: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 8: Dark Transfusion (Blood Sacrifice)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 20: Shadow Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Rebirth
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Ebon Ruin (Rank 2, Rank 3, Nyctophobia)
    Level 32: Defiance
    Level 35: Spirit Reverberation
    Level 38: Redemption (Rank 2, Salvation)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Changed to Ego as PSS; dropped AoPM for Shadow Form (for ranged role); dropped Chest Beam, ranked up Ebon Ruin; dropped the Void Horror (keeping the Shadows for the vampiric heal, plus they're un-targetable); picked up a self-rez and team rez.

Look better for a more DPS-focused build than the previous ones?
  • Options
    Its a bit more efficient as a dps build w/ some team support. I'd prob get the 10% -resist debuff adv on ERuin, though, and maybe consider End over Rec SS if using Defiance sometimes.