test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Screw This

I figure this will probably get deleted or closed, but this SNR/lag/rubberbanding/DCing is just total BS. Get your servers together PW/ARC, this is pathetic. It's been bad for days, certainly worse after the patch. Anyway, I'm going to watch Kung Fu Panda 3. Let me know when you get your act together.
/rant (though probably only temporarily)
- - - - -
SIGNATURE:
Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.

Comments

• Options
    brokenrivalrybrokenrivalry Posts: 32 Arc User
    hello this is the snake of free government, we are currently being ddosed. please understand

In-Game Handle: @Narfball ...Who wants to talk to me lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I'm not experiencing any lag, so this means it's not a cryptic issue, it's one of the hops between you and cryptic. Kids nowadays don't even know how the internet works. It's made of tubes guys.
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I'm not experiencing any lag, so this means it's not a cryptic issue, it's one of the hops between you and cryptic. Kids nowadays don't even know how the internet works. It's made of tubes guys.

If your not experiencing it that's very lucky and awesome, however, without any specs or idea of what type of provider the OP has, we cant assume it's only on his side. Others could be having the issue and haven't(or don't) used the forums to post about it in hindsight of post like these.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

spinnytop said:

If your not experiencing it that's very lucky and awesome, however, without any specs or idea of what type of provider the OP has, we cant assume it's only on his side. Others could be having the issue and haven't(or don't) used the forums to post about it in hindsight of post like these.
    I'm not trying to help the OP with his issue, I'm just showing him that he's wrong.
    #SOMEONEISWRONGONTHEINTERNET
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

I'm not trying to help the OP with his issue, I'm just showing him that he's wrong.
    How do you know? ;)
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

How do you know? ;)
    Because I'm not experiencing lag.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    The DDoS attack has ended, then? Because that would appear to be what logged everyone out of the servers (all the servers, for all three games) a couple of hours ago. About an hour back, though, LaughingTrendy said she was "deploying countermeasures", which honestly sounds a little intimidating...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsills said:

The DDoS attack has ended, then? Because that would appear to be what logged everyone out of the servers (all the servers, for all three games) a couple of hours ago. About an hour back, though, LaughingTrendy said she was "deploying countermeasures", which honestly sounds a little intimidating...

Nice! ;), had that issue abit on NW a week(?) ago, was a real PITA.
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

How do you know? ;)
    Others might, you never know. Can't speak for the game pop and all that :).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

How do you know? ;)
    Kid, I've been on teh interwebz since before you were born. When I logged out, very many people were experiencing my above-mentioned issues. Your belief that your individual experience equals that of the everyone else is what the problem is.

Also, if you actually knew how the internet works, you would know there are methods to tell the difference whether it is on the user end or the server end. I know a few and I can tell the difference. If it were on my end, I would once again be slamming Atlantic Broadband on Twitter, instead of posting here.

The larger issue is not just at a certain moment in time tonight, it is that these issues have been ongoing on and off for days, and you would have known that had you read more closely. Yes, I understand that a DDoS attack has been one of the issues, though not all of them, but a corporation the size of PWE/ARC should be able to protect itself from one punk with a gripe.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    He's just being contrarian, pwestolemyname. Spinny's good at that. Not so good at the logic thing, though.

What you experienced - what we all experienced - is a temper tantrum by some script kiddie in Europe who's peeved because the devs at NW blocked an exploit that was ruining the in-game economy. He's been DDoSing the server farm every time he could afford to lease the botnet from the hackers who actually developed it, ever since then. It's annoying as hell, but there's not a lot to be done. (Unless you know somebody in Europe with a baseball bat and the urge to use it? Or maybe just someone in a group like Anonymous who might be willing to help?)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options

Others might, you never know. Can't speak for the game pop and all that :).

Others definitely were. Many people in Conquer were.
  • Options
    jonsills said:

He's just being contrarian, pwestolemyname. Spinny's good at that. Not so good at the logic thing, though.

What you experienced - what we all experienced - is a temper tantrum by some script kiddie in Europe who's peeved because the devs at NW blocked an exploit that was ruining the in-game economy. He's been DDoSing the server farm every time he could afford to lease the botnet from the hackers who actually developed it, ever since then. It's annoying as hell, but there's not a lot to be done. (Unless you know somebody in Europe with a baseball bat and the urge to use it? Or maybe just someone in a group like Anonymous who might be willing to help?)

Jon, you seem to be knowledgable.

Can you explain how the OP is correct and this is Cryptic's fault, but how at the same time I wasn't experiencing any lag? You know, since I'm just being contrarion, you could set me straight with a good technical explanation.

Oh wait, you already said it was that script kiddie, which means it's not Cryptic's fault, the OP is wrong, and I wasn't being contrarian.

Well then, been nice interacting with you :smiley:
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Kid, I've been on teh interwebz since before you were born. When I logged out, very many people were experiencing my above-mentioned issues. Your belief that your individual experience equals that of the everyone else is what the problem is.

Also, if you actually knew how the internet works, you would know there are methods to tell the difference whether it is on the user end or the server end. I know a few and I can tell the difference. If it were on my end, I would once again be slamming Atlantic Broadband on Twitter, instead of posting here.

The larger issue is not just at a certain moment in time tonight, it is that these issues have been ongoing on and off for days, and you would have known that had you read more closely. Yes, I understand that a DDoS attack has been one of the issues, though not all of them, but a corporation the size of PWE/ARC should be able to protect itself from one punk with a gripe.

Jon disagrees with you though, he seems to think it's the DDOS guy and that it's not Cryptic's fault. Argue with him about it :smiley:
  • Options
    Uh, not agreein with OP here, but I do get tents of Lag here and there, but not full on SRN, unless it IS them, or its my end. The only time we had a full on SRN, was a few days ago, when the thing got DOSSED. or what ever you call it...

Tho the lag, is very minor, where I'll skip here and there, or sometimes a big fat one, and I end up going back, a few miles, but only once or twice. So Im unsure what that is, but it can be a number of things, to Server Lag, Net Lag or even Hardware/Software errors.

Also whats this thing about this " script kiddie", I keep hearing about?, I don't really log in fluently anymore, cuz of friend issues and the BS thats going on between that. But I only found out about this, is due to that egypt cat thingy said it on the LIVE, Zone chat.

(Im sorry, I forgot your name)
    Psi.
  • Options
    I don't like to use his Twitter tag, because that gives him unwarranted publicity (which I believe is what he really craves), but he does post on Twitter every time he's launching another DDoS. He seems to think it's going to make the Neverwinter devs knuckle under and put that economy-wrecking exploit back in for him.

And his displayed knowledge, or lack thereof, of system logic and what exactly he's doing to the servers is why I refer to him as a "script kiddie". If he had enough knowledge to write his own DDoS script, he'd be well aware that he's not doing any actual damage to any physical property at all, merely inconveniencing everyone trying to play anything Cryptic publishes.

Here's one way to check for yourself if it's a DDoS attack, horrid weather in Massachusetts (which has also been known to affect the servers' connection to the 'net), or something other than that - if you get disconnected and can't get back in right away, especially if your DC was preceded by SNRs or the chat server not responding to you, go to the forums for STO and look in their General Discussion area. There are generally at least three threads started within seconds of such an event. If it's anything but a DDoS, LaughingTrendy will usually respond within half an hour (except on weekends - have to give the poor girl some time with her new SO) to say what's happening. We don't get a fast response on these forums, and if you value your sanity stay out of the NW forums!

• Options
    jonsills said:

I don't like to use his Twitter tag, because that gives him unwarranted publicity (which I believe is what he really craves), but he does post on Twitter every time he's launching another DDoS. He seems to think it's going to make the Neverwinter devs knuckle under and put that economy-wrecking exploit back in for him.

And his displayed knowledge, or lack thereof, of system logic and what exactly he's doing to the servers is why I refer to him as a "script kiddie". If he had enough knowledge to write his own DDoS script, he'd be well aware that he's not doing any actual damage to any physical property at all, merely inconveniencing everyone trying to play anything Cryptic publishes.

Here's one way to check for yourself if it's a DDoS attack, horrid weather in Massachusetts (which has also been known to affect the servers' connection to the 'net), or something other than that - if you get disconnected and can't get back in right away, especially if your DC was preceded by SNRs or the chat server not responding to you, go to the forums for STO and look in their General Discussion area. There are generally at least three threads started within seconds of such an event. If it's anything but a DDoS, LaughingTrendy will usually respond within half an hour (except on weekends - have to give the poor girl some time with her new SO) to say what's happening. We don't get a fast response on these forums, and if you value your sanity stay out of the NW forums!

Well..Then...

Psi.