test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Silver Rec, Heroics, Prices.

emperornfemperornf Posts: 55 Arc User
edited February 2016 in Champions Online Discussion
I don't want to be "that" guy but i need SOME outlet for these feelings.
I'm a simple man with many toons, and in my eyes the appeal of Heroic Gear was how not-out-of-reach it was. By which i mean that it required a reasonable amount of effort to obtain while not being especially powerful. If someone wanted to grind for gear in order to obtain something better, they probably stuck to doing rampages.
Now, this previously easy to obtain gear has skyrocketed in price. Personally i don't see why there was a need for that, especially since an even better tier of gear has rolled out. The entry-level 40 lvl gear has been put on an even higher shelf now, personally i'll be forced to settle for regular dropped/AH bought gear on most toons, at least for a long time. I don't feel particularily motivated to grind for 150x3x27 Silver Recog, with current channels of gaining silver recognition i would be lucky to outfit 2-4 toons before losing all will to keep playing.

I just don't like the changes which put grind in places where there was no need for it. What i liked the most about CO was how little grind there was involved compared to the competitors (I mean Grind for the necessities such as experience and gear, the bare minimums). More toons will now take a hit in efficiency making for weaker teams.

I'm not exactly mad or anything, i'm neither gold nor lifetime (Zen buyer, weird situations like these are exactly why i was always afraid of subscribing) so i'm not tied down to this game in case things go full south. I'm just concerned about how these outrageous new prices will affect potential new players, we are hurting for those.

EDIT:
I quit the game, if you are wise you will do the same. Thank me later, send a postcard, or not. Just save yourself.
Post edited by emperornf on

Comments

• guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    It's become very grindy
  • emperornfemperornf Posts: 55 Arc User
    Yeah, there are enough grindy MMO's out there, it hurts to see my favorite become one of them.
    I did try looking for alternatives to Heroics but Q gear is either too expensive, or too weak for a level 40. And AH is vacant.
    So with that said, i decided to take a "break" from CO until something is done about this. As much as i love the game, this put too high of a wall for me to overcome in order to have fun like i used to.

I refuse to do alerts or any other kind of activity without wearing decent gear. This is the kind of thing that makes you a liability, and also makes people feel disappointed when they see you in their team. If the choices are to be a burden or to quit, i'd rather move on.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    er, up to 94 x 40's on this acct and most have blue AH [primary primary gear and normal purple secondaries. about a dozen have heroic.. at least I think i got that many heroic. and my few(2) farmers have some legion gear.
    Mercenery is only a few stat points from Heroic gear. It also has 3 slots and comes from boxes as well as Q store.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I was looking through AH before but the few pieces that were there were missing popular SS obviously, like CON. I know that Market is in constant motion, but still.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Not going to pull my punches here who ever came up with the great idea of raising the amount of silver rec heroic gear requires is a &*%$.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited February 2016
    I'm glad so many people agree.
    I understand that they added a few other ways to gain SCR, like alert dailies other than special smash, but in that case the LOGICAL change would be to raise the price of each piece to something like 50-60 at best. Double the price would make more sense than FIVE TIMES the price.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    It's not just the price for the heroic items that has become absurd with this patch. All of the travel powers are overpriced (*again 975 tokens for bat flight? really?), the costume unlocks range from 100-975 tokens, devices are around 350 tokens.
    It is ridiculous. Here's hoping that Cryptic care and are willing to listen to the voices of reason.
    Here's hoping...
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I'm not thrilled with the prices myself... but it's possible to earn a lot of SCR now. That doesn't mean I endorse it, but it's totally doable to gear up a new toon in two weeks time (and less for those real grind-a-holics). I was curious how much I could earn in a day -- and was surprised.

But then like I said... there's always Merc gear, which for some reason has a bad rep. But it's cheap on the AH and when you look at the numbers it's very close to heroics. There's also Legion Gear but that involves trading in keys and zen :neutral:

One thing I do like ... is some of the low level devices are really cheap.. and fun. A couple of the pet ones have very high HP and hit hard too. The Emperyan and the Greater Demonic both have over 13k hp (at least on my AOPM toon they do) and can handle most boss fights.

Then there's fun stuff like the Quaalar swarm etc.. that can go with a theme. None of them are pricey. I like not having to rely on RNG for fun bits like that.

Ok I need a new hobby, I'm reading these forums too much this morning... LOL.
    ​​
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    I really don't think i would be so peeved if not for the fact that you could get a full set in a 6 days time.
    Maxing a toon takes 3-4 days, gearing it takes 6, that's what i liked because from then on you could move onto another toon or focus on doing stuff like Q and G grinding - Not out of necessity and not ungeared as is the case now.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,428 Arc User
    I wonder if there will be double SCR/GCR events like there have been for Questionite and XP?​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Depends on how they proceed with this.
    I'd rather if they fixed SCR the way it was, but maybe made double GCR events.
    But as i'm addicted and can't quit the game, i'm Cryptic's little B.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    From ALT-Heaven to Stick with 1 character and Grind your teeth off!

Sad, really sad Direction

Heroics are no way End-game gear now, they lost that rank when Legion and Justice came out

worse is that right now there is no Alternative way to farm Gold Reg​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    In the past, you could get about 7 SCR per day, right? UNITY and Special Alert. If you actually figured out how to unlock it, and you didn't mind the catacombs, you could also do UNITY2 for another 5 SCR. So, about 12 a day.

Now, a level 40 toon can earn 5 SCR from Special and Daily Alerts, plus UNITY, plus another 5 per adventure pack or comic series. An ambitious player could get 20 SCR, by doing one of each thing, though you could do all the packs and get 40 SCR in one day.

I agree that the nearly all the recog prices went too high, but there is more SCR out there now. I would have been fine with prices tripling, since SCR availability more or less tripled.

EDIT:I forgot, Rampages award SCR now, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    avianos said:

From ALT-Heaven to Stick with 1 character and Grind your teeth off!

Sad, really sad Direction

worse is that right now there is no Alternative way to farm Gold Reg​​

That's how i'm proceeding right now. I decided not to level any more alts until all of the 40's get their heroics, as painful as it will be. At least i'll get some Q in the process. I'm still salty about the whole issue, but not as much.

In the past, you could get about 7 SCR per day, right? UNITY and Special Alert. If you actually figured out how to unlock it, and you didn't mind the catacombs, you could also do UNITY2 for another 5 SCR. So, about 12 a day.

Now, a level 40 toon can earn 5 SCR from Special and Daily Alerts, plus UNITY, plus another 5 per adventure pack or comic series. An ambitious player could get 20 SCR, by doing one of each thing, though you could do all the packs and get 40 SCR in one day.

I agree that the nearly all the recog prices went too high, but there is more SCR out there now. I would have been fine with prices tripling, since SCR availability more or less tripled.

I used to get 18 SCR per toon daily for doing just Unity 1
    If i did this on 3 toons, i used to get full sets in 2 days. 2 sets if i did Unity 1 on 6 toons.

I agree that there is more SCR out there, but the prices skyrocketed out of balance, even considering the more SCR channels.
    Like i said earlier, the price of a piece was 30 and now it's 150, that's five times as much. I'd be fine with double or even triple the price, but five is just brutal.

You used to be able to get a full set of heroic gear in about a six days of UNITY missions, that's (35x3)/6= 17.5 per day, but now UNITY is capped at 1 silver per mission, with the final mission being worth 3. It's now going to take weeks to get one piece of heroic gear, months to get a complete set, and half a year to get costume unlocks or travel powers.

Worse still those travel powers are garbage, if I hadn't already unlocked them I'd be so disappointed with unlocking bat flight or scarab flight, they're demonstrably worse then regular flight, pricing them at that level is punishing players for playing the game.

Now having said all that I applaud adding all the costumes to the Recognition center, those Alert drops were so rare that I never got one, in all the years I've been playing the game I never got an Alert drop, and I've gotten all of the Vibora bay drops. I like the fact that there's more ways to get silver recognition. I like that you've started to get rid of all these extra currencies. I like the idea of standardizing the UNITY mission rewards, but I hate the pricing. There's a lot of great things with this update it's too bad you dropped the ball in the pricing. It's a fumble on the one yard line.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    guyhumual said:

You used to be able to get a full set of heroic gear in about a six days of UNITY missions, that's (35x3)/6= 17.5 per day, but now UNITY is capped at 1 silver per mission, with the final mission being worth 3. It's now going to take weeks to get one piece of heroic gear, months to get a complete set, and half a year to get costume unlocks or travel powers.

This is so completely false. There are so many alternate ways to earn SCR now. In another thread, some player mentioned getting 40-50 SCR just yesterday after the patch. In addition, the expectation is that this lair is not the last new content addition that will generate SCR and GCR.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
    Personally i'm not really aggro about all of this anymore. I still stand by saying that the prices are too high, but i found enough alternatives not to worry.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User

guyhumual said:

This is so completely false. There are so many alternate ways to earn SCR now. In another thread, some player mentioned getting 40-50 SCR just yesterday after the patch. In addition, the expectation is that this lair is not the last new content addition that will generate SCR and GCR.

Like running Gravitar multiple times. Just what everyone wants is sub-Heroic equipped heroes in Gravitars, right?

Hour-ish adventure packs. It's just peachy.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

guyhumual said:

5 to 6 days, my mistake.

40-50 with just UNITY missions? Even if that were the case (and we both know it's not) it's still going to take you 9 days to get what you could get in 6. Please share with the group how you can get 40-50 SCR from UNITY missions. I mean my statements about UNITY rewards were, in your words, "completely false", and so I eagerly await your explanation.

Perhaps you meant misleading? As there are additional ways of getting SCR now? This wasn't the case I was making but fine, let's consider the time it takes to generate the SCR needed to get Heroic Gear shall we?

UNITY missions took an hour or so to complete, so before the update you could get your heroic gear with six hours of work.

To get 40-50 SCR, which is still not equivilent by the way, you need 75 SCR daily to get your heroic gear in six days, but to get the 40-50 SCR you cite, you need to do alerts, special alerts, rampages, Steel Crusade, UNITY, UNITY2 and whatever other hoops or missions you need to jump through, which is fine if you got four or five hours to sink into the game every day on grinding, but for most casuals that's just not going to happen. Most of my friends didn't bother with UNITY before the update because it took too much time. Now Heroic gears is effectively out of their price range.

Please explain how you figure this new system is better? More ways to grind, sure, but more grinding required.
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, I didn't say it's better, just that your statement that "It's now going to take weeks to get one piece of heroic gear, months to get a complete set, and half a year to get costume unlocks or travel powers." is completely false.

My opinion is that it's a change that players will get used to, and will be quickly forgotten. The costs are not what I would have set, but I do think providing additional incentive SCR incentives for running existing content is an improvement.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming

Yeah, I didn't say it's better, just that your statement that "It's now going to take weeks to get one piece of heroic gear, months to get a complete set, and half a year to get costume unlocks or travel powers." is completely false.

My opinion is that it's a change that players will get used to, and will be quickly forgotten. The costs are not what I would have set, but I do think providing additional incentive SCR incentives for running existing content is an improvement.

In the post your quote I was talking about UNITY missions, that statement is not false, but as I said in my last post you could argue that it's misleading. However if you only have an hour to sink into the game every day I think even then my assertion holds up. If you have unlimited free time maybe you could get your Heroic gear in a couple of days, that isn't going to be the norm for most people however.
    If your time is valuable, you can always buy the Heroic gear on the AH and spend that time doing whatever you like. Personally, I felt the Unity missions were a boring grind before, particularly compared with running interesting team-based content. With 20 fully geared alts, I think I only ground out Unity missions on 3-4 of them. There are always options, and only talking about only one of them is certainly misleading.

If your time is valuable, you can always buy the Heroic gear on the AH and spend that time doing whatever you like. Personally, I felt the Unity missions were a boring grind before, particularly compared with running interesting team-based content. With 20 fully geared alts, I think I only ground out Unity missions on 3-4 of them. There are always options, and only talking about only one of them is certainly misleading.

The cost for heroic gear has already begun to jump in price on the AH. Where the Defensive piece was around 100-150g it is now 240-250. So yes you can buy them from the ah, but they won't remain 'cheap' for long. Much like the change in the cost that happened when they nerfed the legion drop rate.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    Psychologically this was a terrible move. It's pretty crappy knowing that something that took only a few hours to do has now been stretched over several more hours. It's nice that you can get 50 Silver Recognition per day, but how long does that take? It's still literally a huge cut in rewards. It's about as exciting as walking into work and having your boss tell you that you no longer make $25 an hour, you make $15, but you don't have to do the same job you were doing before. You can keep doing it, but you can also do ten other things. It's still a dirty kick in the pants, and the overall effect this has on me is that I might be done making alts; one of my favorite things to do in this game.

Yeah, I get it, I can buy Mercenary gear, which is worse, but now I have to dip into my resources... The other grind.

Yeah, Cryptic thought that Heroic was too easily attainable, but if they wanted their content gated off to people who have done a big gear grind, then gate it off to Justice gear. That grind is already there. Taking something we've had for years - with no indication that there was anything wrong with it - and nerfing it so hard just feels like ill will. I know that's not the case, but as a customer it's just how it feels. It's like the vehicle weapon nerfs that happened a while back, except there was no common sense indicator telling us (me) that this was totally overpowered and a change would be coming.

Honestly, this is the very first thing Cryptic has ever done that's gotten me to consider just not playing anymore. And at the very least, it's going to get me to make less alts, guaranteed. The game is getting less alt-friendly with every new grind put in. I already didn't bother with Justice gear and the Onslaught stuff because I'd rather make a few new alts in the time it would take to grind out that gear for one character, and now we can pile on Heroics to the list of things I won't bother to do. It's so discouraging. Changing our "level 40 starting gear" to yet another grind just leaves thhe most foul taste in my mouth.
    biffsig.jpg
    Even if the heroic gear was easy to get, so what? There was nothing wrong with having an easy to obtain set of purple gear. Especially if they are expecting players to have it before doing TA.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    draogn said:

Even if the heroic gear was easy to get, so what? There was nothing wrong with having an easy to obtain set of purple gear. Especially if they are expecting players to have it before doing TA.

My point as well, and one of the big reasons I'll never be seeing the inside of that lair. "Gear checks" were a big part (not the controlling factor, but a big part) of what caused me to drop WoW after over two years of subscribing; if this turns into the way of things going forward, well, I can't say I'll be leaving CO, but it's been hard enough trying to convince myself to play a given toon past somewhere in the mid-30s (I'm sorry, the VB Apocalypse was fun the first time, interesting the second, and a boring drag on every single subsequent iteration), and this would just drop anchor on the whole affair. It's no use cranking out new content that I'm never going to be able to see because I don't have six hours a day for a week to devote to playing a game merely in order to qualify to play the new content (protip: when the time required to grind a given set of gear approaches the time required to work a paying job, your grind may have become excessive).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    What I am unclear on is why every level 40 toon in someone's stable of alts needed to have Heroic gear?

I have around 54 alts, and I think 25 or so are level 40. Three have Justice, three have Legion, and I think six have Heroic. The rest have a mix of Nem, Q, Merc, and level 40 mission blues. They all do just fine.

I play my top three characters in the hardest game content (fire and ice, Andrith, maybe Gravitar). The rest pretty much do fine with nearly everything else.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

What I am unclear on is why every level 40 toon in someone's stable of alts needed to have Heroic gear?

I have around 54 alts, and I think 25 or so are level 40. Three have Justice, three have Legion, and I think six have Heroic. The rest have a mix of Nem, Q, Merc, and level 40 mission blues. They all do just fine.

I play my top three characters in the hardest game content (fire and ice, Andrith, maybe Gravitar). The rest pretty much do fine with nearly everything else.

Need is a very subjective term, though a better question might be, why does it matter if someone wants to have heroic gear on all their toons. Some people might not be happy with doing 'just fine' on the characters they play.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited February 2016

They don't. But what it gave was the feeling of staying in touch with the developing endgame. I have loads of alts equipped with Merc gear or Blues/Greens from drops and it's fine for solo content; but we all know how elitist team building can be in a small community, and having Heroic Gear felt like a nice little badge that you could use to convince people of your competence. And now it's five/six times harder to get and involves more team based content/Adventure packs (and I can't say I care for either too much).

The game community isn't big enough to cope with being split like this. Yes, a few players might return for the new tough content, and the forums will be filled with Grampa's War Stories of How they fought Teleosaurus when it was Really Hard, but ultimately they're just creating another stop point for a game that already has a few too many.

fire and ice, Andrith, maybe Gravitar

You can take a lvl 35 in Armadillo Secondaries and random other gear into Gracvi/F&I and you'll be fine. They've tried their best to spoil that by taking Servitor Serum away (possibly to encourage people to run Bloodmoon lairs) but I'm sure the healer toons will enjoy the resulting upsurge in popularity.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

For me it's not about needing it on every single one. When I come up with a new character idea and I end up getting attached to that character, I end up wanting to play more content with that character, getting some decent gear and mods to do whatever fun new thing or old things that I want. My "ding, level 40" reaction has gone from "Cool, let's take this character out and see what he can do, if he can survive a shot from Gravitar or if he'll be a wipe-fest on Onslaught villains," to "How long does it take to get the gear? Eh, skip it, I'm gonna go play Fallout."

I don't do that with every character, but it's gone from "some" to "none" in one patch.
    biffsig.jpg
    I'll do one better, I have 84 level 40 toons, the majority don't have heroic gear, and with this update I don't think any of the newer toons ever will.
    If anything these changes will create an even bigger gap between the 'leet'/minmaxers(*The haves*) crowd and the theme/newplayer/'noobs' (*the have nots*).

The effects of this gap are already being displayed in game. While arguments are common in zone during certain periods of the day, the arguments have begun to get worse. That's not a good thing.
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    Pretty much no longer interested in altitis. I'll take the 10 40s I have a log in once in awhile. But after this update my interest has pretty much dropped for Champions Online.

My "ding, level 40" reaction has gone from "Cool, let's take this character out and see what he can do, if he can survive a shot from Gravitar or if he'll be a wipe-fest on Onslaught villains," to "How long does it take to get the gear? Eh, skip it, I'm gonna go play Fallout."

I don't do that with every character, but it's gone from "some" to "none" in one patch.

I see. That really stinks, then.

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    My point as well, and one of the big reasons I'll never be seeing the inside of that lair. "Gear checks" were a big part (not the controlling factor, but a big part) of what caused me to drop WoW after over two years of subscribing; if this turns into the way of things going forward, well, I can't say I'll be leaving CO, but it's been hard enough trying to convince myself to play a given toon past somewhere in the mid-30s (I'm sorry, the VB Apocalypse was fun the first time, interesting the second, and a boring drag on every single subsequent iteration), and this would just drop anchor on the whole affair. It's no use cranking out new content that I'm never going to be able to see because I don't have six hours a day for a week to devote to playing a game merely in order to qualify to play the new content (protip: when the time required to grind a given set of gear approaches the time required to work a paying job, your grind may have become excessive).

this is why I level 30-40 on Monster Island and Canada yetis. Could only stand the VB yoyo missions a few times.

Don't forget Vikorin gear.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    Well, I've had this sneaking suspicion this was gonna happen..waaay back when I was pumping out 40s like a liquor store. Seems I wasn't too far off from the truth. Good thing my alts that I wanted are heroic'd/legion'd. A shame though, no more true alt-itis for me.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Damn Manhunter, you sound racist. Western MMOs have been doing gear grind since before we had many / any games from other countries in the market.

The sad part is that some of these older than CO games that do the gear grind have been losing their population over the years. You'd think with that kind of precedence, Cryptic / PW wouldn't make the same mistakes. But I guess I shouldn't have very high expectations from a company that uses dated gaming casino data to make sweeping changes to their game. Or is basically shoving every coercive monitization idea into their games.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    If anything it's culturalist, not racist.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    The price increase for what's effectively entry-level gear was completely uncalled for, and it doesn't even make any sense. I already obtained my heroic gear (thankfully!) and I don't play regularly enough to have more than a single character, so it doesn't really affect me much. It does, however, move my interest in ever working on alts down to roughly zero.

Typically, when a new tier of content and gear is released in a mmorpg, the previous tiers are made more accessible, not less. Why was this change even made in the first place?

The price hike needs to be reconsidered, because it's pretty toxic.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    edited February 2016
    Actually i changed my mind, two days of doing this and i'm already spent.
    This destroyed any semblance of balance in the way i used to do things, and i don't have to stand for this. For devs to shake things out of balance like this, without a reason, is unforgivable.

I'll pop in after a few months has passed, hopefully either the prices will be fixed by then, or the rewards will become substantial enough. Until then, Sankt out. B)

• squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited February 2016

You never actually ran UNITY 1 or 2 did you? It was 18 from UNITY 1 (2+2+2+2+5+5), and 18 from UNITY 2 (2+2+2+2+10).

EDIT:I forgot, Rampages award SCR now, too.
    Too much effort for heroics.

I consider Heroics minimal 40 gear. I have .. 14? 40s and all of them have at least heroics. I ran one toon through UNITY 2 (when i could be bothered) to have the scr for a heroic set available when a new toon hit 40. And sometimes all my toons keeping up with vigilance meant they produced 35-6 SCR and could buy a piece. That kind of minor time investment kept all my alts reasonably playable without making me have to grind each toon for hours, because I'm not going to.

The really ridiculous part is that the time required to farm a heroic set is about the same as the time required to farm a justice set now (assuming you have at least 6 rampage-competent characters). That's ridiculous. (And justice farming is at least alt-friendly).

At this point, I pre-bought my next 6 toons worth of heroics, and I'm not sure I'll ever make another alt after that because of the heroic price/time increase. Which probably means I'll drift away from the game at some point and never come back.

I'll probably end up saving for the stupidly over-priced SCR costume unlocks, but since SCR is still character bound, i may never unlock a single one. I have no interest in playing the same character often enough to hit 975 SCR on one character routinely.
    Post edited by squirrelloid on
  • heartstringsk3heartstringsk3 Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The costume prices are what annoy me so much.

Like, I liked with the Mechanon recognition, how the devs actually bothered giving each piece a price based on how good it was. The really good/big parts were 24 tokens, you'd get that in 3-4 days. The dinkier pieces were 12 or 16. Now, every single costume piece, no matter how stupid, is 150 tokens. That Mechanon arm armor that adds a tiny plate to your upper arm? 150.

Even putting aside SCR is easier to get, what about the lesser tokens? MCPD, PRIMUS, UNTIL. Those aren't as easily farmable. Even on the chararacters I leveled up normally rather than just doing XP alerts, I hit 40 with only like 100 MCPD and maybe 60-80 PRIMUS. Not bad, because it was worth a few cool costume bits! Now, nada. What's the solution? Well, farm more SCR and convert them to lesser tokens! Great. I think I'd have been fine with all of this if they'd kept the Mechanon recognition and not price-gouged MCPD, PRIMUS, and UNTIL recognition stores. As it is, I should have been more serious about farming Mechanon rep before.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    emperornf said:

I'm just concerned about how these outrageous new prices will affect potential new players, we are hurting for those.

They won't care because they won't know that prices were lower. These prices aren't going to look outrageous to someone who's used to how things go in mmos. These prices only seem outrageous to some people here because they're used to getting what they want with a very minimal amount of effort. If anything, this will keep new players from saying "Ugh, there's nothing to do, I demand more content!" 6 hours after hitting max level.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2016

^ this.

Some people seem to want to act like you can't create a new character until your current character has Heroic gear.

People make the point that "the game encourages altitis!". Sure, but the degree to which the player takes that is up to the player.

The point that "there's no end game so all there is to do is make more characters" is a double-edged sword... it's true, but it also completely removes the need for a character to have heroic gear - and, oh look, they're adding endgame, so now the first part is no longer true.

Just like in any other MMO, it's going to be a reality that if you want to do endgame content on many characters, that's gonna take some time. I used to know people who would raid in wow with a character of every class... they didn't act like having to gear each character through each tier was some slap in the face to their personal preferences - they took ownership of their choice to do that.

If getting Heroic Gear for all your characters is too big of a hassle, then just don't do it. You can still alt until you're blue in the face.
  • squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

^ this.

Some people seem to want to act like you can't create a new character until your current character has Heroic gear or something. Like, why can't they abandon their current character to level the next 40 alts unless it has Heroic gear?
    Because some of us like to go 'gee, i feel like playing my new 40 in the rampage today'. CO is not a one-character game. It's a 10+ character game. Heroics are the 'reasonably complete' gear that lets you not feel bad because you brought a character who hasn't farmed 100 hours worth of gear upgrades to the rampage/lair/whatever.
This discussion has been closed.