test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let me flag spam!

dabelgravedabelgrave Posts: 83 Arc User
I tried flagging a spam post, and this is what it gave me:

Please fix this so we can properly police the forums of this junk.

Comments

• drakenfyredrakenfyre Posts: 6,879 Community Moderator
    he's been blocked
    Swordsman Moderator, Forsaken World Moderator, Jade Dynasty Moderator
    I do not have the staff on speed dial
    Insanity Runs Downhill
    2v3ld35.jpg
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Posts: 83 Arc User
    he's been blocked

That's good to know. I just would like to see that basic function of the forum to actually work. Come Monday, we're going to have a huge influx of us from Star Trek Online.
    ;)
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Yeah, definitely important to have fixed, or if the mods want us to use the old method of sending Arc support tickets, we need to know that up front.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    gulberat said:
    Yeah, definitely important to have fixed, or if the mods want us to use the old method of sending Arc support tickets, we need to know that up front.
    ...and remove the 'Flag' button if that's the case.
  • drakenfyredrakenfyre Posts: 6,879 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    I've had players over in Swordsman just send me a pm, but I know every game forum may have it's own set of rules
    Swordsman Moderator, Forsaken World Moderator, Jade Dynasty Moderator
    I do not have the staff on speed dial
    Insanity Runs Downhill
    2v3ld35.jpg
  • opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Essentially, I feel the flag button should be either fixed or removed.

If fixed, it allows players to have greater ease reporting abuse in a manner than ensures the staff will see it quickly as all forum staff would be alerted to the issue.  This is going to be a far superior method to flooding the ticket staff and adding to their workload for something that can be dealt with faster by those who are actively tasked with keeping the forums in check.  Sending a PM will also soon be inferior as well due to the population burst from having all of PWE's titles converging in a single forum.  While a PM to a specific one or two moderators/CMs is sufficient for more concentrated groups, with a larger influx and more overall traffic, it will become more difficult to ensure that the PMs will be sent to someone who is most able to deal with the problem in a swift and efficient manner.

If it can't be fixed, at least removing it will allow for prevention of confusion and frustration for anyone wishing to report an issue as it's fairly unintuitive to have a non-functional feature present in such an extremely visible manner.  This leaves a negative impression on these people and may hinder their willingness to assist in reporting issues later on compared to if the feature were not visible and they were told from the beginning to use an alternate method (in this case, sending moderators PMs).

Regardless of which option is taken, it would be in our best interest to have something done about this feature.  Judging by the error message, it appears to be a simple permissions issue which shouldn't be too difficult to alter.  Perhaps you or an administrator could attempt to flag a post to see if it really is permissions or if the feature itself is broken?

(Insert fancy image here)
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Posts: 551 Arc User
    Will totally look into this! Thanks for bringing it up.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter
    Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

edited May 2015
    While you're at it, could you look into raising the draconian character limit or eliminating it entirely as we currently have on vBulletin?  On the STO side I am concerned our database will have serious import problems since it seems to be capped at 9000-11000 characters (estimated 1800 words), and we have a LOT of posts above that limit.  I am concerned our posts will import truncated, corrupted, or flat-out will not make the transition.  It's additionally a problem for the fanfic community, which is fairly sizeable on STO.

I would say something to our CM except that she has been ill lately and I don't want her feeling like she needs to take this on if someone else has already volunteered.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    gulberat said:
    While you're at it, could you look into raising the draconian character limit or eliminating it entirely as we currently have on vBulletin?  On the STO side I am concerned our database will have serious import problems since it seems to be capped at 9000-11000 characters (estimated 1800 words), and we have a LOT of posts above that limit.  I am concerned our posts will import truncated, corrupted, or flat-out will not make the transition.  It's additionally a problem for the fanfic community, which is fairly sizeable on STO.

I would say something to our CM except that she has been ill lately and I don't want her feeling like she needs to take this on if someone else has already volunteered.
    Wow you guys have fanfics?  PWI has a jibberish story and no one knows anything about the lore.  

I have serious doubts that we're going to have any of our posts imported due to the customized forum accounts we have and the fact this forum is currently configured for HTML while the PWI forum is BBcode.
    edited May 2015
    We're Star Trek fans.  Obsessing on stuff down to the tiniest level of detail is what we do.  Some of us do it by debating, some of us do it by creating. :smiley:

We don't just have fanfics...we have long reviews, rants, debate posts, etc.  A lot of stuff I could see running into major problems if adjustments aren't made.

And yeah, I am getting more and more concerned about the DB migration the more I see. O_O

edited May 2015
    Per the announcement we were given:
    All threads will be ported over, allowing you to continue your conversations at the new location.

Source: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9196863-announcement%3A-portal-wide-forum-migration

I just noticed the announcement also mentions "Users can format posts with HTML, Markdown or BBcode." Maybe we should be testing some of the bbcode we currently use on our existing forums.

Considering all the problems still existing on these forums with only a weekend before the transition, I am really anxious about how successful they'll actually be on Monday. I'm hoping strumslinger's post here is an indication that they're working hard to be ready.
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    Hmm so STO has more than one CM? You guys lost Smirk at the same time we lost Sparky, yet you've gotten more support while we were given nothing. I guess that's one more difference between the freedom Cryptic gets versus the rest. 
    ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
    It seems like we do.  I am not 100% sure who pwegegrne is, but he came aboard recently and seems to have been supporting Trendy.

I have no idea who that is. He's listed in our dev tracker, but running a search for any posts specifically by him suggests he's probably just filling in while Trendy was in sickbay since his first post was on the same day she made that announcement. He's been on Arcgames since the end of October.
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Posts: 551 Arc User
    Great to see everyone getting along! We're working on handling this situation, but in the meantime, I was able to get the Flag button working.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter
    Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

It HAS been kinda fun to see people from other forums and learn how similar and different our communities are. :)

True that. It's been rather interesting so far.

Thanks for the fix!
    > @strumslinger said:
    > Great to see everyone getting along! We're working on handling this situation, but in the meantime, I was able to get the Flag button working.

I'll be sure to test it the next time I see a spam post. Thanks :)
    > @dabelgrave said:
    > I'll be sure to test it the next time I see a spam post. Thanks :)

I can verify it works. I flagged his post as a test. :D
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Posts: 864 Arc User
    A few thoughts... great to see the flag button got fixed here. In regards to thread forwarding... I do hope devs are picky what they bring along. I don't believe all threads should be ported over, for good reasons... in fact I feel so strongly think i'll start a thread on that.
    [img][/img]hcSfM9O.gif