test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

testing, bug-hunting, and finding exploits

Comments

• nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The above instructions assume you are using Chrome for a computer.

In other thoughts: There is nothing stopping anyone from, let's say, doing the background trick, but attaching it to their signature so that every place they post has that background. They could also change the z-index to be 0 or 1, or higher and cover up all posts wherever they go.

asterelle said:
    Also your name spoofing doesn't seem to work on the first comment of a discussion.
    I just noticed this. Yeah, it was made for all posts except the first one. I tried to inherit its color and relative position it to see if I could get it to work between all posts, but the inherited color was transparent...
    Post edited by nrglg on

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    The above works in Firefox as well with the perk of the element already being highlighted so all you need to do is delete it.

I'd check IE as well, but I can't be bothered to check IE.

While the Arc stuff up top can't be changed, I'm not actually browsing the forums via Arc and I'm choosing to use the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com domain instead.  Anyone else that chooses this (considering how many people on PWI bypass Arc entirely this won't be that shocking to see) will have HTML changes occupy their entire page.
    (Insert fancy image here)
    Viewing the pages on perfectworld.vanillaforums.com will break some of the tricks used here, like the background being a fixed property of the iframe versus your browsing window.

Yeah.  It already has with some of the locations and positioning used in page 1.  I actually found the differences as rather interesting to note when comparing them side by side.

That said, the vast majority so far do still seem to work properly.
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    How are people getting real animated gif avatars?   Every time I upload one it loses the animation.  These are actual profile pictures like this one: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/118765/savitrichaos
  • savitrichaossavitrichaos Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    asterelle said:
    How are people getting real animated gif avatars?   Every time I upload one it loses the animation.  These are actual profile pictures like this one: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/118765/savitrichaos
    I uploaded gif image to my arc account shortly after arc became "requirement" to start pwi. I havent tested if it still works. Try via Arc.
    edited April 2015
    Ahh OK.  So you have to delete your forum avatar here then go set it in your Arc account and it will carry over.  Neat. I'll have to tweek mine later.
    .... Hahahahahaha.  I just realized that the flag button is useless for regular users.  Attempting to do so gives the error, "You do not have permission to post in this category".

So much for flagging to help the mods/admins out!  What use is having it if regular members can't put it to use?  Even if moderator and administrator accounts can flag posts properly, they should also have the tools to deal with the posts without needing to flag them so.... wow this makes things here a tad worse than I thought!
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    We haven't had a working Report Post function on STO since...well, since I've been there.  So I guess if that's the case, we'll have to continue with the old "file an Arc support ticket or PM the mod even though we're technically not allowed to PM the mod" thing.

Edited to add: I just tried to report a spambot over on one of the other game forums and ran into the "no permission" issue you were talking about.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited May 2015
    You're technically not allowed to PM the mods?  I feel pretty conflicted about that and hope it doesn't carry over to here.  At PWI, we encourage people to PM us whenever they have forum related issues.  In fact, the rule there is to PM the mods first, truth be told.

Granted, there's no flag feature there, but since people already know to PM us, we're typically able to cover anything that gets out of hand pretty quickly.  Feels odd seeing that STO forums apparently go in the complete opposite direction in terms of what you're technically meant to do.

Edit:  Seems to be an issue in general with how they have flagging setup.  That's a real shame then as it's an incredibly simple function that shouldn't be broken in the first place and is immensely helpful for moderating larger forums.  And seeing as this forum will end up with a decent size after the migration, the staff will likely need all the help they can get.
    Just had a look at your Rules of Conduct...a good bit is familiar, but dang--very different in tone from ours (which are very corporate and official sounding).  I had always assumed based on the tone of the STO one, that there was some kind of uniform corporate policy that all of the forums had.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=129&a=151

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    This explains a bit.

About a year or so ago, our CMs at the time came to the mods presenting that set of rules and wanting our opinions on it as we were discussing implementing them for PWI.  To make a long story short, we decided that most of it either didn't really apply to us, would be easily invalidated, or simply wasn't worth the bother and not really that big of a deal in our community.  The unreleased content rule, for example, is completely invalid for us as we've always taken our information about future expansions directly from their sources months before PWE officially announced them and our staff has supported and clarified questions in topics that came from this at times when they could.

So, essentially, we kinda skipped the formal document because it just didn't suit the community we had come to have.  It may very well explain the differentiation in rules between the older forums where that set of rules doesn't apply and the newer ones where it may have been in your rules from the start.
  • catgirldesucatgirldesu Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Gif avatars you say.... Cool, now my avatar can finally properly express my love for tails.
    Now, if only I didn't have to deal with the embarrassing username I picked 6 years ago...
    edited May 2015
    You don't have to, for now anyways (that is to say, until they fix it), the second part of this post has some simple copy-paste code and you just have to fill out the username, post count, and title. Click Here

Note: It will not work on the very first post in a thread or on mobile. Everywhere else though, it works just fine. Also, I think it is 1 pixel too far to the right mistake, but I'm not going to bother to correct it.

Post edited by nrglg on

• catgirldesucatgirldesu Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I might be doing something wrong, but that didn't work for me. It just made it appear in my signature as simple text. :#

Edit: Oh I guess that's normal? Sorry, I'm a noob with codes >.>; I get it now.

Edit 2: Alright I got it. I forgot to say thanks, so thanks!
    Post edited by catgirldesu on
    ... Somehow, I should have seen Holo (or Horo depending on who you ask) coming from you, Desdi! :p
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    *Steals Desdi's wheat pouch* Mine, you are mine now! 
    ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
  • eirghaneirghan Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I wish for a picture of a ....

eirghan sage seeker 105♥105♥105 current gear

• toivatoiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User
    Hmm, I wonder if those weird possibilities are what'll finally make me learn coding... (or make me leave STO forums when they become a part of this).

• strumslingerstrumslinger Posts: 551 Arc User
    Hey guys, this is all great information. Just to share, we don't plan on having global mods. You'll most likely only be labeled a certain game's moderator like "PWI Moderator" and only have permission to moderate the PWI categories. I can see that you guys are having fun here :D. We'll probably be more strict though!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter
    Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

edited May 2015
    Hey guys, this is all great information. Just to share, we don't plan on having global mods. You'll most likely only be labeled a certain game's moderator like "PWI Moderator" and only have permission to moderate the PWI categories. I can see that you guys are having fun here :D. We'll probably be more strict though!
    Nah just leave it the way it is.. it's fine.
  • damnaciousdamnacious Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    A very nice thread! Thanks for all the helpful and informative info! I'm not very savvy with CSS and HTML in general and I hope I can, at some stage, modify my settings to take on some of the features you people are currently using - I really love that blue border you have happening Asterelle!

• dabelgravedabelgrave Posts: 83 Arc User
    strumslinger said: We'll probably be more strict though!
    If possible, please only disable the more disruptive CSS, like z-index and absolute positioning... basically stuff that could affect outside of a specific post. It's very nice to be able to do special formatting within the post.
    ;)
    edited May 2015
    OK...this test is aimed at determining if there is an upper character limit, and if so, where it is.

-----

(Test stuff deleted)

-----

Maximum character count is estimated between 9000 and 11000.   In my case this was about 1800 words.  This will be a very, very serious pinch on the fanfic authors in STO.  This may even cause severe problems with importing the STO forum database should posts be truncated, corrupted, or deleted.

• sylenthundersylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    A very nice thread! Thanks for all the helpful and informative info! I'm not very savvy with CSS and HTML in general and I hope I can, at some stage, modify my settings to take on some of the features you people are currently using.
    If they are smart, they will remove the ability for us to do most of the things we've done here. We've been pretty nice about what we're doing, but you could insert some seriously malicious code if you wanted to.

BTW Asterelle, love the glow effect!
    Remove HTML/CSS but greatly increase or completely remove the character limit and turn on the Flag Post function.  That's how I would sum all of this up.

gulberat said:
    Remove HTML/CSS
    I wouldn't mind if they replaced it with a lot of bbcodes for additional formatting options. We're currently missing some of the basic stuff we have on the STO forums, like font color and indenting.
    FYI one of the Neverwinter CM's just popped in on the "Flag Spam" thread.  Hopefully that means some of these issues will start being run up the chain.  I don't want to pile this onto LaughingTrendy so I am glad another CM from a major title is looking.

Yeah, a lot of stuff needs to be fixed or adjusted here. I get the feeling they're somewhat unprepared for Monday and everything that could (and probably will) go wrong in the transition.

By the way, did you ever get the CSS to work properly in your sig?
    I never did.  Oh well...