test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Inappropriate" Language

13»

Comments

  • krittycatkrittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    ilithyn wrote: »
    krittycat wrote: »
    The filter is something that will be looked at. Just remember that we are being added to a board with multiple languages, and that certain things that aren't offensive in one language can be very offensive in others.

    Allow PWE some time to finish the full migration and clean up some of the bugs/issues that have cropped up, and I'm sure we'll see some changes to how strict the filter is.

    Okay so in which language is g*a*y and l*e*s*b*i*a*n incredibly offensive? Because those two words get caught by the profanity filter. See this thread: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1193844/sixth-annual-pride-weekend/p1

    Also the fact that in posts you can often trick the profanity filter to accept your words if you go back and edit it is downright ridiculous and sort of defies the purpose of even having it.

    Edit: Okay apparently they took gay and lesbian out of the profanity filter, but I still don't get why they were in there by default.


    Well, gay was actually in the old filter because people were using it with very negative connotations. They (PWE) probably overrode that decision with the recent clime of US law.
    ​​
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Does that mean that some of the other language not in need of censoring can be addressed? I think we've got a pretty good list here so far...and as a further point of reference, I think we had the balance about right on the old forum (except for the whole Warcraft thing, which made not sense).

    Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • krittycatkrittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    gulberat wrote: »
    Does that mean that some of the other language not in need of censoring can be addressed? I think we've got a pretty good list here so far...and as a further point of reference, I think we had the balance about right on the old forum (except for the whole Warcraft thing, which made not sense).


    It made sense when you consider that PWE has PWI, an MMO, and the other game is also an MMO. PWE has a rule against mentioning competing games on their forums, and that game, since it's the same genre, is a competing game.

    Really nothing else to it.

    As for the others, I'm unsure of when the filters are going to be completely done. It might be a bit, considering they have to weigh decisions on removing or adding words to it.
    ​​
  • angrytargangrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User
    STO has a client-side profanity filter which we can toggle. Would have been nice for the forum as well, but appearently this forum here, without any in-house options for users at all, is the "future".​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • artan42artan42 Posts: 4,070 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Bugger, sod.

    Nope, I'm fine. Though unblocking h.ell and d.amn would be nice as well.
    19949539680_c383e368a2_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit
    Tempus est ignis in quo nos ardebit
    I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it.


    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I just remembered that in addition to the "Year of H.ell" reference, Admiral Quinn says, "D.amn!" in "Surface Tension." (Though that may be the only time a character swears in-game.) While there's no need to fill a post with swearing, it seems like those two words have been ruled in by canon.

    Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • artan42artan42 Posts: 4,070 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I just remembered that in addition to the "Year of H.ell" reference, Admiral Quinn says, "D.amn!" in "Surface Tension." (Though that may be the only time a character swears in-game.) While there's no need to fill a post with swearing, it seems like those two words have been ruled in by canon.

    Yeah, h.ell really annoyed me for that reason. But does anyone consider d.amn swearing? Anyone? Here, you could say it to the local vicar and he would't raise an eyebrow.
    19949539680_c383e368a2_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit
    Tempus est ignis in quo nos ardebit
    I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it.


    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »
    I just remembered that in addition to the "Year of H.ell" reference, Admiral Quinn says, "D.amn!" in "Surface Tension." (Though that may be the only time a character swears in-game.) While there's no need to fill a post with swearing, it seems like those two words have been ruled in by canon.

    Yeah, h.ell really annoyed me for that reason. But does anyone consider d.amn swearing? Anyone? Here, you could say it to the local vicar and he would't raise an eyebrow.

    Some people in the States do treat it as a swear, yes. I know that when I was a kid, if I'd said it in school, or in front of my parents, I would have gotten in trouble. It would also be unprofessional for an adult in the working environment (though it happens). My fleet doesn't allow it except in the context of things like the aforementioned episode name, but that's a different ball of wax. For the purposes of this forum, though, it seems like too much when those items are in lore.

    Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 10 Arc User
    daveyny said:

    It seems the opposite of Heaven is blocked out as well.

    Kinda silly that one.

    B)

    Nonsense, I can easily post " The United States of America " :p


13»
Sign In or Register to comment.