Arc Forums Maintenance: August 26

yetweallfalldown
yetweallfalldown Posts: 20 admin
Hi Folks,

Tomorrow morning, we will be running maintenance for our English Vanilla forums starting at 6:00 am PDT on Wednesday, August 26. We’re expecting the forums to be down for approximately 28 hours (returning to full operation at 10:00 am PDT on Thursday, August 27).

With this maintenance, our team is looking to re-organize how the forums function and clean the overall layout of the organization of each game in order to ensure that forum users can find what they are looking for. This will introduce:
  • Hubs: Each forum will now live in their own instance and easy to navigate to. The content within each hub will not change during the migration. We’ll also be adjusting what is viewed per category (for example, viewing parent categories within the first page) in order to better identify the areas of focus for each section.
  • Search Functions: In our previous feedback thread, there were more search functions requested. We’ve made changes to better archive the searches and have them be accessible including advanced searching.

One area that will change that we want to ensure gets communicated is that we will be removing access to the current forum inboxes as it stands. Instead of using the forum inbox, we recommend using our Arc Mail system, which can be accessed here. The reasoning behind this change is that with the hub separation, we will no longer have a global inbox. Using the Arc Mail feature will ensure that messages get across to all relevant parties. All current messages that are in your inbox will be visible to you once this hub migration is complete.

More importantly, this brings us steps closer to other forum features that we are looking to implement including a developer tracker to follow official posts from our team as well as custom themes that will adjust both the aesthetics and usability of the forums.

As always, we welcome all feedback for the forums and features that you would like to see.

PWE Community Team
Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
Support | YouTube

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    It would be really nice if you would focus more on fixing functionality before making other changes.

It's sad to see we're being pushed to the Arc mail system. I've had a lot more use out of the forum mail system, plus it doesn't force me to use the Arc client.​​
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Thanks. but one thing I want to point out is quite frequently I am logged into the forums and not the Arc Wrapper...

Why I don't know, but that is how it normally functions, may want to look into the causes.

Edit, I'm not trying to start the request train, but this thing directly affects what you are trying to do.

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • officerbatman81
    officerbatman81 Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Special forum titles such has the "veteran" and "career officer" that have a monetary value attached that are missing from the Star Trek online forum. Please and thank you.
  • yetweallfalldown
    yetweallfalldown Posts: 20 admin
    primar13 wrote: »
    Thanks. but one thing I want to point out is quite frequently I am logged into the forums and not the Arc Wrapper...

Why I don't know, but that is how it normally functions, may want to look into the causes.

If you are logged into the forums, it should also log you into Arc at the same time. It may just require a click to the sign in button to recognize that. I will bring this up to the team though.
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
    Support | YouTube
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User

If you are logged into the forums, it should also log you into Arc at the same time. It may just require a click to the sign in button to recognize that. I will bring this up to the team though.

Tried hitting sign in, and it took me to the login page. For once it didn't ask for a security code. which it usually does.

Thanks for passing on the message. :smile:

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • kimony
    kimony Posts: 492 Arc User

Being logged in should let me post but that doesn't work either. I can be logged in, write a post, press the button to post and behold, "You don't have permission to do that"

That's on the good days when Firefox can get past the encryption error.

Posting this with Google Chrome which I despise and refuse to load on my Windows box.

-v- Originally Posted by coupaholic -v-
    "Don't Panic, They're Just Topping Up The Tanks With Awesome Sauce."
  • zebular
    zebular Posts: 573 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Looking forward to any and all updates to the forum's features and functionality. Thanks and safe updating!
    [ Support Center • PWE Rules & Policies • ARC ToS ]
    Zebular
    [ Handles: @zebular (PC) & MtnDewFreak (XBOX) | Character Biographies: Neverwinter, Star Trek Online | FR DM Since 1993 ]
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    ............. I hope you're going to actually get us access to that flagged post queue since you're once again removing communication with the moderators. A lot of times when people are viewing the forums they aren't even at a computer with arc installed.​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Really hoping this works out well. I've just gotten used to the new forum layouts and now we're changing again. Hoping it doesn't break all the functionality of the extensions we use, themes etc. Not to mention the worry that this will make it impossible to browse from the perfectworld.vanillaforums.com address, if we're forced into that embedded system I may cry. :pensive:

I do think it's slightly ironic that we went for a big drive about being "all inclusive" with all Arc titles in one forum, and now we're being segregated out again to separate hubs.

Also very sad to see the forum inboxes going. I don't use the Arc client and have no intention of using it simply to do something forums have been doing for a long long time.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Trouble with using Arc mail is that you have to add people to your friends list (or if there is a way to mail through Arc without doing so, I haven't found it).

Glad to see search being repaired, but ...

1. Forum titles we paid for need to be restored.
    2. Framed pages increase loading time (basically load the page twice, and often have to be refreshed in order to get the full page loaded, even though the unframed page loads fairly quickly and easily before the redirect into frame).
    3. Tabs all say "Arc Games" and are bookmarked as such, rather than with any indication of the name of the thread (sure, I could edit the bookmark manually, but shouldn't we be moving forward in terms of "user-friendly," instead of regressing?).
    4. Bookmarked threads and direct-to-post links actually take you to the top of the framed page (although before the redirect into frame, it takes you to the actual post, and using an arcgames.com address does not rectify this).
    5. Forum language filter is STILL like a nightmare combination of puritanical and Victorian neuroses joined with Hellenologophobia.

I'm sure there's more, but this is all I can think of at the moment.
    Post edited by protogoth on
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    Hubs: Each forum will now live in their own instance and easy to navigate to. The content within each hub will not change during the migration. We’ll also be adjusting what is viewed per category (for example, viewing parent categories within the first page) in order to better identify the areas of focus for each section.

I'm not even sure what this means. What is a "hub"? Are you saying that each game will get a new subdomain for its forum?

Search Functions: In our previous feedback thread, there were more search functions requested. We’ve made changes to better archive the searches and have them be accessible including advanced searching.

The most important thing you can do right now is remove the 10-result search limit.

One area that will change that we want to ensure gets communicated is that we will be removing access to the current forum inboxes as it stands. Instead of using the forum inbox, we recommend using our Arc Mail system, which can be accessed here. The reasoning behind this change is that with the hub separation, we will no longer have a global inbox. Using the Arc Mail feature will ensure that messages get across to all relevant parties. All current messages that are in your inbox will be visible to you once this hub migration is complete.

Well, this is annoying. I was just having a conversation with someone, and I wrote a fairly long post too. Forgive me for not trusting your data migration skills after what happened last time. I made my own backups of my PMs.
  • tikielite
    tikielite Posts: 7 Arc User
    I'd like to see a change to the Nevewinter forums. Given that come the next xbox update in September there will be very little difference left - could we have the class forums merged? and maybe consider what else is now common between the two platforms.
  • johndoe069
    johndoe069 Posts: 12 Arc User
    wo0t even more ways to force people to load up arc... inb4 they disable forums on browsers and make it arc enabled only
    Image2_zpsclmogpv3.jpg
    Where there is a Key, there is yet hope
  • captainmal3
    captainmal3 Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited August 2015

I thought this forum was missing too many basic features when we first migrated over, but now you're taking away the ability to talk to each other? On a forum? Nobody wants to use arc even on the rare occasions when it actually works properly, trying to force us to use it is only going to convince us to give up and leave.
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    Oh, yeah, and notifications. We still need the ability to delete old notifications restored.

Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • angrytarg
    angrytarg Posts: 165 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    (...)
    I'm sure there's more, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Good points, I share those worries.

Forcing the whole thing into framed arc pages would indeed be a little nightmare. I came clean with the forums once I discovered you can use perfectworld.vanillaforums.com URL and the custom forum extensions offered by talented users who add a lot of functionality and comfort functions. If this change to the forums negates all of that and once again takes us a few steps backwards in terms of user-friendlyness and liberty in customizing our forum experience I don't know how to deal with it other than considering quitting to use these forums. And I don't want that.

But as always no user concern in the world will influence the already fixed plans PWE has for these forums and the communities within them. At least there wasn't a single instance in the last years to convince me otherwise.​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
  • creysero
    creysero Posts: 51 Arc User
    How about updating the freaking Server Symposium... We have 4 servers now not 8

• smeeinn1t
    smeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    Worthless.​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    creysero wrote: »
    How about updating the freaking Server Symposium... We have 4 servers now not 8

will see what the 'hubs' bring - if they have any sense they will move the current 8 servers to an archive - no posting footing and create 4 new server sub-fora to give a fresh start and maybe leave some of the server-server hostility behind.. a small hope but sometimes that is all you need monkey-46.gif
    ​​
  • ladycrane
    ladycrane Posts: 105 Community Moderator
    We lost all formatting options? BBcode is disabled?
  • sylenthunder
    edited August 2015
    ladycrane wrote: »
    We lost all formatting options? BBcode is disabled?
    maybe not. It looks like it's there, just the WYSIWYG editor isn't.

I see my posting in the old thread isn't showing here, so they've completely migrated the forums once again into new forums.

EDIT: Yep, BBCode still works. When i chose to edit, it showed "Edit 1hour" which makes me think there may be a time limitation on how long we have to edit posts. Which is something else that would be the stupidest thing ever. Especially for those of us that post guides.​​
  • angrytarg
    edited August 2015
    Confirmed @sylenthunder , posting in perfectworld.vanillaforums does not appear in these forums here and vice versa. There seem to be two separate forums at this time. It is very confusing. Also, your signature is different in both... (Or you just changed it XD)​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
  • sylenthunder
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Confirmed @sylenthunder , posting in perfectworld.vanillaforums does not appear in these forums here and vice versa. There seem to be two separate forums at this time. It is very confusing. Also, your signature is different in both... (Or you just changed it XD)

The images rotate :smiley:​​
  • angrytarg
    edited August 2015
    The images rotate :smiley:

What is this magic? pig-32.gif

Regarding the new forums - this is bad for a number of reasons. The ARC overlay slows down loading, features ad-trackers, makes it impossible to distinguish forum tabs or bookmarks, comes with log-in issues - I mean, seriously, it's worse in every possible way... pig-12.gif​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
  • ladycrane
    I"m so confused. Which one is the real forums? Arcgames or perfectworld? They don't match it up and ppl are posting on both.....*sigh*
  • angrytarg
    @ladycrane I think this one is. You may use this URL: http://forum.arcgames.com/arc/discussion/comment/12700789#Comment_12700789 it's easier to use since it gets rid of the ARC overlay (thanks to @asterelle ). It will probably take time for someone to sort this all out...​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well now I figured out how to get to the version of this page which the devs will actually see (you've now got so many versions it's stupid). I'd like to give my feedback for the 'update' to the forums.

You've made them insanely difficult to navigate.
    There is no easy way to find the sub sections I'd just gotten used to having access to.
    There's no easy way to switch between forums for the different games I play.
    The layout has not changed at all for the sub sections I've actually managed to find, so the whole reason behind this seems to be null and void.
    Signatures are broken again.
    We now only have a 1 hour window to edit posts.

I don't understand what you guys think you've achieved by this, but I'm pretty sure you haven't. Somebody please hit Ctrl+Z then step back from the keyboard.​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • edira
    edira Posts: 32 Arc User
    Well now I figured out how to get to the version of this page which the devs will actually see (you've now got so many versions it's stupid). I'd like to give my feedback for the 'update' to the forums.

You've made them insanely difficult to navigate.
    There is no easy way to find the sub sections I'd just gotten used to having access to.
    There's no easy way to switch between forums for the different games I play.
    The layout has not changed at all for the sub sections I've actually managed to find, so the whole reason behind this seems to be null and void.
    Signatures are broken again.
    We now only have a 1 hour window to edit posts.

I don't understand what you guys think you've achieved by this, but I'm pretty sure you haven't. Somebody please hit Ctrl+Z then step back from the keyboard.

I have to totally agree with this...

If that's the outcome when you guys at PWE try to: "re-organize how the forums function and clean the overall layout of the organization of each game in order to ensure that forum users can find what they are looking for." than I'd rather have it "un-organized".​​
    Forsaken World - Server: Dyos - Kindred Fire Mage
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    [color="[object Object]"]Well keep in mind it was the power users and mobile users who were using the native vanillaforums.com version of the forums. The normal people were using the embedded version so they won't notice the fact it's a new version as much. Although the embedded URLs are now all different so bookmarks have been broken.

EDIT: How come I can't get the BBCode editor controls to load properly here? [/color]​​
  • ladycrane
    asterelle said:

"]Well keep in mind it was the power users and mobile users who were using the native vanillaforums.com version of the forums. The normal people were using the embedded version so they won't notice the fact it's a new version as much. Although the embedded URLs are now all different so bookmarks have been broken.

EDIT: How come I can't get the BBCode editor controls to load properly here?
    ​​

Because they don't seem to work on this "version" of the forums. Formatting options don't show up at all for me. and they don't work if you type them in manually. Which is great cause ESO just announced a forum writing guide event....and can't format. zzzzzz

Categories