Vanilla Incoming Features/Request for Feedback

Comments

• asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for all the advertising of the extension. A lot of the features were created with the hope they could be integrated into the actual site.

@yetweallfalldown @pwlaughingtrendy Let me know if you want to include any of the improvements. In particular I'd say the font controls would be loved:
    tFENefQ.gif
    and probably the block button
    K1rBqaV.png

Then there are the cooler bits like the new wallpaper chooser.
    ​​
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The appearance is an improvement.

Larger avatars are nice. I can actually tell what they're supposed to be without the occasional need to go look at someone's profile in order to find out.

Links to posts are still not going to posts, but to the top of the page on which a given post is.

The tab up there still says nothing but "Arc Games," which means keeping multiple tabs open in the same browser does not let me see by mousing over which one is to which thread. This also affects bookmarks. Those few bookmarks I have added since the forced redirect into frames now all read the same thing in my bookmarks folders: "Arc Games." That's really not helpful when I'm trying to find a particular thread.

We still don't have the forum titles we paid for.

I note that the language filter has improved ever so slightly. Can I still not say the word crap?

Edit: Yeah, I still cannot say c r a p . Oh, the joys of language filters made by non-native speakers.

*wondering if editing will still make it visible in spite of the filter*

Edit 2: And so it did. This second edit should make it once more invisible, if things are still like they were with the filter.

Edit 3: Well, the second edit didn't. This one may or may not. But it shouldn't have been censored in the first place.
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    @yetweallfalldown Actually, something non CSS I'd like to see returned which you guys removed, is the online status which spanned the users avatars in posts. I liked that, it was handy being able to see if a user was online or not by a simply red/green border around the avatars. For some reason though it seems it was removed from the php files, not just the CSS. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    I personally like the changes since it makes things a lot more readable. However, if there are other changes that you'd like to see, please feel free to let us know.

See my previous comments below.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    1. It's good that you will be adding page numbers to the bottom, but there is another problem that you haven't considered. On the first page, the page numbers appear below the first post, which can sometimes be quite long. I think the page numbers should appear above the first post.
    4. I can't delete my notifications.

5. You should restore the option to view drafts.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1191774/no-option-to-view-drafts

Also, is anyone working on the SSL problems with the main site arcgames.com? The problems affect anyone trying to establish a secure connection to arcgames.com using Firefox (and possibly some other browsers), whether it be for billing, customer support, or to post on the forums. The problems do not lie with Vanilla Forums, but with arcgames.com itself.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190682/firefox-isnt-accepting-ssl-certificate-from-arcgames-com
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190685/ssl-error-on-arcgames-com-ssl-error-no-cypher-overlap
  • dalolorn
    dalolorn Posts: 2,360 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, I'm undoing a lot of those tweaks already. :tongue:

I personally like the changes since it makes things a lot more readable. However, if there are other changes that you'd like to see, please feel free to let us know.

They've been far more readable to me for weeks now. :tongue:

ck22T1u.jpg

2L9uoWc.jpg

Lactn5O.jpg

You guys should check out the enhancement script for some ideas. There are a lot of very nice user created themes in there, even if I do say so myself haha.
    ​​

NICE. Very nice. :tongue:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • khamseenair
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm undoing a lot of those tweaks already. :tongue:

They've been far more readable to me for weeks now. :tongue:

You guys should check out the enhancement script for some ideas. There are a lot of very nice user created themes in there, even if I do say so myself haha.

NICE. Very nice. :tongue:

Thanks! :)
    If you want to make use of the theme, it's available via the enhancement plugin which is linked in my sig.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    To PWE: Would you mind putting the size bbcode tag back? You messed up the formatting in my guide and many other guides.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    and once again they are fixing problems that dont exist while ignoring the bloody obvious.​​
  • chilleule
    chilleule Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    primar13 wrote: »

soo, is thisworking as intended?
    when i click on "next page" at the bottom now, i get to the next page but im still stuck at the bottom!? shouldn't it put you on the TOP of the next page?

addon: when i post something, the site is not sorting my post to the end... this on for example is shown on page 6 instead of 7 after posting it. only when i F5 it manually, it shows the right order...
  • protogoth
    and once again they are fixing problems that dont exist while ignoring the bloody obvious.​​

You are correct. Page numbers not existing at the bottom was a problem. Thanks to The Mighty Trendy for fixing that problem of non-existence. Because not having page numbers at the bottom of the page was indeed a problem for many of us, whether it was one of your concerns or not.
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    Republic Veteran!!!

• protogoth
    chilleule wrote: »
    soo, is thisworking as intended?
    when i click on "next page" at the bottom now, i get to the next page but im still stuck at the bottom!? shouldn't it put you on the TOP of the next page?

I haven't had that experience, and I thought that might be because I click the number instead of "next." But nope, having just tested the next page button, it took me to the top of the next page.
    chilleule wrote: »
    addon: when i post something, the site is not sorting my post to the end... this on for example is shown on page 6 instead of 7 after posting it. only when i F5 it manually, it shows the right order...

That certainly does happen, and has been happening since the forced redirect into frames.
    Republic Veteran!!!

• nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    @protogoth tehbubbaloo was talking about the size tag being disabled (I think).

As far as page numbers go, I fixed that on June 19th (last month) with my CSS injections. What took so long? Things must flow slowly at PWE. That or bureaucracy keeps getting in their way.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    @chilleule , @protogoth when you make a post it does seem as it vanilla injects it on the page you are currently reading, however on refreshing the page it moves the post to it's correct position in the thread - I agree it is a bit of a nuisance but I don't think it is something that will change as that is core behaviour of vanilla
    software.

Oh and I am currently testing an addin addition which adds filtering, autopaging and 'to top/to bottom' buttons to the forum. If you want to give it a go you can find it here - (it needs something like greasemonkey/tampermonkey installed on your browser first like Asterelle's extension) https://github.com/Eiledon/PWEVC/raw/master/PWE_Discussion_Manager.user.js
    ​​
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    0n2ypeO.png
    ...... Seriously though, using different sizes, colors, and bolding are text formatting 101. And it's crucial when creating longer posts, such as a guide. Not only does it make it easier to differentiate between different topics within the guide, it helps alleviate reader eyesore.​​
    Post edited by ovenusarmanio on

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • asterelle
    I've used font size almost entirely for formatting guides by making section topics bigger. Why would they ban it? Totally uncalled for.​​
  • hockey57
    hockey57 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I have hidden every category except for this one and the ones for PWI, yet when I search for discussions I am getting a laundry list of discussions from the lower depths of neverwinter. Apparently this category is immune to the hide function even thought it has been hidden. How do I fix this?

Edit: Nvm, I found a way to fix it.​​
  • joahalex
    joahalex Posts: 28 Arc User
    I appreciated thechanges that have happened in the Vanilla Forums lately. Easier to read. The search function is now my "friend". I just want to acknowledge the positive changes and say thanks.
  • toiva
    toiva Posts: 2,606 Arc User
    Regarding the issue of being thrown to the bottom of the page upon clicking on 'next page' or the next number of a page (yes, I do have that issue), I don't think I've encountered it while the forum was accessible directly at vanillaforums.
    Now that I'm automatically redirected to arcgames.com, there seem to be several page positionment issues. In addition to the one listed, I'm also not sent directly to the post I click the date for. Instead I get sent to the top of the page containing the post.

Then there's the obvious annoyance of the arc bar taking space at the top of the page and the additional time it takes to load.

• khamseenair
    toiva wrote: »
    I don't think I've encountered it while the forum was accessible directly at vanillaforums.
    Now that I'm automatically redirected to arcgames.com, there seem to be several page positionment issues. In addition to the one listed, I'm also not sent directly to the post I click the date for. Instead I get sent to the top of the page containing the post.

Yeah you didn't, it's why so many of us were telling people to use the vanillaforums link in the first few days of the forum migration. It's the embedding that breaks the placement on page switch because the embedding script doesn't get refreshed on a page change so it doesn't change your displayed position on the page. Another reason I like the enhancement is that it blocks that annoying redirect and lets me make use of the non embedded forums. They really need to address that issue.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • protogoth
    Evidently, someone is trying to do something, because I've been getting redirects to the base Arcgames Forum page when refreshing or opening new tabs since this morning. Second attempts generally do what I want, but the failure of the first attempts is rather annoying (and uses up some of the data in my limited data package, much like the forced redirect into frames ...).

And before anyone says "I fixed that in my add-on," that's great and all, but PWE/Arc/Vanilla needs to fix the fora so we don't have to use external fixes.
    Republic Veteran!!!

• khamseenair
    protogoth wrote: »
    And before anyone says "I fixed that in my add-on," that's great and all, but PWE/Arc/Vanilla needs to fix the fora so we don't have to use external fixes.

None of us who use the enhancement are disputing that fact. What we are doing though is providing a solution until PWE sorts things out, which could be some time away yet.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • tehbubbaloo
    edited July 2015
    do pwe do that for the actual header, or to give the illusion they are self-hosting, or both? the frame is such a 1999 solution in any case. why arent pwe simply using php include and an A record in dns? thats like 'forum admin 101'​​
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    Can we get a feature to sort the comments/discussions we've made by sub-forum? Also, page numbers would be nice on those for easier browsing.​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • monkeybone13
    monkeybone13 Posts: 3,442 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    My avatar picture refuses to remove.

I click my name at the top then the Preferences button. Then 'Change my picture'. I click the 'Remove' button under my avatar pick and get a confirmation pop up asking if I'm sure I want to do that and select 'Okay'. The page then instantly refreshes and the image is still there.

I was able to change my picture though.
    picard-facepalm_zpssvoltqmi.jpg~original
  • asterelle
    My avatar picture refuses to remove.

I click my name at the top then the Preferences button. Then 'Change my picture'. I click the 'Remove' button under my avatar pick and get a confirmation pop up asking if I'm sure I want to do that and select 'Okay'. The page then instantly refreshes and the image is still there.

I was able to change my picture though.
    yeah they seem to have disabled or broken the ability to remove an avatar from vanilla. If you set an avatar you won't be able to use an animated gif avatar ever​​
  • eiledon
    what is it with PW forums and broken avatar pages - they managed to break em in VBulletin too. ​​
  • tehbubbaloo
    the problem is that they want very badly to incorporate the forum account with the pwe account, but dont seem to have anyone available (or permitted) to make it happen properly.​​
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    the problem is that they want very badly to incorporate the forum account with the pwe account, but dont seem to have anyone available (or permitted) to make it happen properly.

With Vanilla I imagine it's even harder. I mean, they're trying to cross-link information across two separate sites, and they're trying to force the second site to embed into the first one. By shoving Arc down our throats, they are basically kicking themselves in the ass on the forum I think.​​
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    For some reason, the search page seems to be limited to only 10 results now. I'm seeing this with both regular and advanced search.
  • eiledon
    edited August 2015
    For some reason, the search page seems to be limited to only 10 results now. I'm seeing this with both regular and advanced search.

Yes they havent just hidden the pager controls this time - they have removed them.. sigh.

Meanwhile you can add, &page=2 or &page=3 etc to the url to get further results. not ideal but a solution.
    ​​

Categories