test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Forum Survival Tips

124»

Comments

• ryan218ryan218 Posts: 21,271 Arc User
    So, does anyone know how you send PMs on these forums? I'm completely lost... :s
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    ryan218 wrote: »
    So, does anyone know how you send PMs on these forums? I'm completely lost... :s

PM's are temporarily disabled due to a serious privacy breach on PWE and Vanilla's part.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ryan218ryan218 Posts: 21,271 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    ryan218 wrote: »

PM's are temporarily disabled due to a serious privacy breach on PWE and Vanilla's part.

Ah, okay. Would have been nice if they'd kept the link and just redirected it to a notification or something, but better than nothing.

And everyone complaining why it took most of a week to migrate the forums, this is why. ;)
    Just added a new tip--I stumbled onto how to do quick multiquoting a few nights ago, and to my pleasant surprise, I am actually finding that it works better than vBulletin once you know what to do. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • daymonddaymond Posts: 66 Arc User
    Thanks for the tips
    Siggy_zpsfwkxyvk2.gif
    www.YouTube.com/Kniraven
    daymond wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips

No problem, hope it helps!

• smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Favourited [sic], most informative thread.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Thanks to nrglg for the latest tip, on preventing the forced ARC redirect.

edited July 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    BTW, I am still trying to prove this is the list, but I THINK this may be our full emoji list for the forum--because there are definitely more options than are in the post menu.

Twitter_Emoji.png

TIL:

After seeing this post I thought I'd try out one of the smilies, started to type :w and got
    Bc1wscR.png?1

:+1: for this.
    ​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 5,307 Arc User
    :) :D :( ;) :/ :o :s :p :'( :| B) :# :* <3 o:) >:)

I had to try this from :rage: to :dizzy:

And only number 1 can create a thumbs up or down. :+1: <--- guess what I picked?
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet.
    edited July 2015
    Oh yeah, and not that it matters much, but I've always found stuff on this site to be useful.

fsymbols.com/

edit - hmm. those aren't working today.

• ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    A :angry: (angry) :anguished: (anguished) :astonished: (astonished)

B :blush: (blush) :bawling: (bawling)
    C :confused: (confused) :confounded: (confounded) :cry: (cry) :cold_sweat: (cold_sweat) :cookie: (cookie)
    D :disappointed: (disappointed) :dizzy: (dizzy) :disappointed_relieved: (disappointed_relieved)
    E :expressionless: (expressionless) :error: (error)
    F :frowning: (frowning) :fearful: (fearful) :flushed: (flushed)
    G :grin: (grin) :grimace: (grimace) :grey_question: (grey_question)
    H :hushed: (hushed) :heart: (heart) :heartbreak: (heartbreak)
    I :innocent: (innocent)
    J :joy: (joy)
    K :kissing: (kissing)/(kiss) :kissing_heart: (kissing_heart) :kissing_smiling_eyes: (kissing_smiling_eyes) :kissing_closed_eyes: (kissing_closed_eyes)
    L :lol: (lol) :love: (love)
    M :mask: (mask) :mrgreen: (mrgreen)
    N :neutral: (neutral) :naughty: (naughty) :no_mouth: (no_mouth)
    O :open_mouth: (open_mouth)
    P :pensive: (pensive) :persevere: (persevere)
    R :relaxed: (relaxed) :relieved: (relieved) :rage: (rage)
    S :smile: (smile) :smiley: (smiley) :sweat_smile: (sweat_smile) :sunglasses: (sunglasses) :smirk: (smirk) :star: (star) :sleepy: (sleepy) :sleeping: (sleeping) :scream: (scream) :sweat: (sweat)
    T :tongue: (tongue) :triumph: (triumph) :tired_face: (tired_face) :trollface: (trollface)
    U :unamused: (unamused)
    W :wink: (wink) :worried: (worried) :weary: (weary) :warning: (warning)
    Y :yum: (yum)
    Others :+1: (+1) :-1: (-1)
    Yeah, you're right it does seem most of the twitter ones made it. We seem to be missing some though, like bleep_bloop and skull. Another weird thing is that ones made by making the smiley yourself, don't seem to be able to made the same way by using the method of wrapping what you want in colons.​

For example :naughty: is :(naughty): without the parenthesis. That's the same smiley as if were to type > : ) without the extra spaces. >:) as you can see in smiley dropdown box. But when I type the faces themselves rather than the words, I get no such dropdown. Which makes me wonder if there are any other faces that automatically convert to an emoticon.

:3 edit: well my catface getting converted, just answered that question. yes, there is other ones.

edit 2:

Differences between the two:
    Removed
    :bleep_bloop:
    :skull:
    >_< as an input for :rage:

Changed
    (frown) became (frowning)
    (gray_question) can also be typed using (error)
    (kiss) can also be typed (kissing)
    (kissing_blush) became (kissing_closed_eyes)
    (kissing_wink) became (kissing_heart)
    (disappointed_relieved) now shows an entirely different emoticon, much closer to the one for crying :cry: instead of it's own emoticon. :disappointed_relieved: This emoticon also doesn't appear on the drop down list for some reason.

Added
    (kissing_smiling_eyes)

D :
    : 3
    : s
    : \
    : '(
    : (
    : #
    : D
    < 3
    o: )
    : |
    : o
    : )
    = )
    B )
    : p
    ; )

Edit 3: Also the twitter image you found also does in fact list the other : ) style emoticons, and those all still work as inputs besides the one for rage. Which is this >_<. If you want to type in that one it's (rage) only use : instead of parenthesis marks. They are listed above, if you wanted to type them lose the extra space. I'd write them all down but even if I use the code tag, it still converts them to emoticons which is incredibly annoying.
    ​​
    Post edited by ovenusarmanio on

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I don't get a lot of these new emijis. To me the (triumph) emoji look like a bull about to charge.

☮ <--- pretty much what you expect it to be.
    ☮ could do with a :star: style makeover. Needs filling out and dragged into 21st century.

Just don't cut it.

​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    edited July 2015
    A :angry: (angry) :anguished: (anguished) :astonished: (astonished)

B :blush: (blush) :bawling: (bawling)
    C :confused: (confused) :confounded: (confounded) :cry: (cry) :cold_sweat: (cold_sweat) :cookie: (cookie)
    D :disappointed: (disappointed) :dizzy: (dizzy) :disappointed_relieved: (disappointed_relieved)
    E :expressionless: (expressionless) :error: (error)
    F :frowning: (frowning) :fearful: (fearful) :flushed: (flushed)
    G :grin: (grin) :grimace: (grimace) :grey_question: (grey_question)
    H :hushed: (hushed) :heart: (heart) :heartbreak: (heartbreak)
    I :innocent: (innocent)
    J :joy: (joy)
    K :kissing: (kissing)/(kiss) :kissing_heart: (kissing_heart) :kissing_smiling_eyes: (kissing_smiling_eyes) :kissing_closed_eyes: (kissing_closed_eyes)
    L :lol: (lol) :love: (love)
    M :mask: (mask) :mrgreen: (mrgreen)
    N :neutral: (neutral) :naughty: (naughty) :no_mouth: (no_mouth)
    O :open_mouth: (open_mouth)
    P :pensive: (pensive) :persevere: (persevere)
    R :relaxed: (relaxed) :relieved: (relieved) :rage: (rage)
    S :smile: (smile) :smiley: (smiley) :sweat_smile: (sweat_smile) :sunglasses: (sunglasses) :smirk: (smirk) :star: (star) :sleepy: (sleepy) :sleeping: (sleeping) :scream: (scream) :sweat: (sweat)
    T :tongue: (tongue) :triumph: (triumph) :tired_face: (tired_face) :trollface: (trollface)
    U :unamused: (unamused)
    W :wink: (wink) :worried: (worried) :weary: (weary) :warning: (warning)
    Y :yum: (yum)
    Others :+1: (+1) :-1: (-1)
    Yeah, you're right it does seem most of the twitter ones made it. We seem to be missing some though, like bleep_bloop and skull. Another weird thing is that ones made by making the smiley yourself, don't seem to be able to made the same way by using the method of wrapping what you want in colons.​

For example :naughty: is :(naughty): without the parenthesis. That's the same smiley as if were to type > : ) without the extra spaces. >:) as you can see in smiley dropdown box. But when I type the faces themselves rather than the words, I get no such dropdown. Which makes me wonder if there are any other faces that automatically convert to an emoticon.

:3 edit: well my catface getting converted, just answered that question. yes, there is other ones.

edit 2:

Differences between the two:
    Removed
    :bleep_bloop:
    :skull:
    >_< as an input for :rage:

Changed
    (frown) became (frowning)
    (gray_question) can also be typed using (error)
    (kiss) can also be typed (kissing)
    (kissing_blush) became (kissing_closed_eyes)
    (kissing_wink) became (kissing_heart)
    (disappointed_relieved) now shows an entirely different emoticon, much closer to the one for crying :cry: instead of it's own emoticon. :disappointed_relieved: This emoticon also doesn't appear on the drop down list for some reason.

Added
    (kissing_smiling_eyes)

D :
    : 3
    : s
    : \
    : '(
    : (
    : #
    : D
    < 3
    o: )
    : |
    : o
    : )
    = )
    B )
    : p
    ; )

Edit 3: Also the twitter image you found also does in fact list the other : ) style emoticons, and those all still work as inputs besides the one for rage. Which is this >_<. If you want to type in that one it's (rage) only use : instead of parenthesis marks. They are listed above, if you wanted to type them lose the extra space. I'd write them all down but even if I use the code tag, it still converts them to emoticons which is incredibly annoying.
    ​​

If this is the complete list, mind if I drop a link to this in the OP? Thanks for running all of that down!

• ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    &#9774

It's complete AFAIK but I don't know for sure. And yes, ofc you can put it in. dino1-9.gif
    ​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    &#9774

It's complete AFAIK but I don't know for sure. And yes, ofc you can put it in. dino1-9.gif
    ​​

Thank you very much!

Tip 17--Standard emoji list, added.

• lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    Thanks for the emoji list Ovenusarmanio.

Anyone know what happen to the "rolls eyes" emoji?
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    @gulberat Hey, I was looking up it up and found out that Adblock supports regex, which is fantastic, because I'm quite familiar with it. I'd recommend putting this down as an alternative to the other one for blocking the redirect. (Assuming Vanilla doesn't try to filter what I write below.).
    /https?:\/\/perfectworld\.vanillaforums\.com\/js\/embed_local\.js.*/

This should cover for any use case. My previous one was basically the same, but far dumber and I honestly didn't know adblock supported regex. I've also seen this one floating around "http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/js/embed_local.js", but my issue with it is that it doesn't cover URL queries or HTTP over SSL. So I wouldn't recommend anyone use that unless adblock filters are blunt, which they might be. Whatever the case, I just figured I'd give this as a suggestion for anyone who has had trouble with my other one (and still cares).

Edit ---
    Any of these really...
    /(https?:)?\/\/perfectworld\.vanillaforums\.com\/js\/embed_local\.js.*/

/((https?:)?\/\/perfectworld\.vanillaforums\.com)?\/js\/embed_local\.js.*/

Problem is, some might intrude in other places. I'd say only the one at the top and the first one on this list are appropriate.​​
    Post edited by nrglg on

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    Maybe one of you guys can help me with this question: What happened to the color that made text invisible on this board?

This used to be the color of invisible text when the boards first settled down. Apparently, someone tweaked the background bit so it is only nearly invisible.

If someone would be kind enough to post just one little sentence in the color of invisibility, that would be great.
    TIA :)
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    Maybe one of you guys can help me with this question: What happened to the color that made text invisible on this board?

This used to be the color of invisible text when the boards first settled down. Apparently, someone tweaked the background bit so it is only nearly invisible.

If someone would be kind enough to post just one little sentence in the color of invisibility, that would be great.
    TIA :)
    considering so many different coloured themes are in use on this forum, it will be quite difficult to make invisible text these days.
    in fact, on the theme i am using it would technically be impossible to make text invisible.​​
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    That reminds me of some code I wrote a while ago that can encode and decode text as invisible unicode characters so as to pass secret information. I need to think of a good application where that's a useful thing to do.
    A big win for us! Advanced Search is now available! :D Please see the revised Tip 4 for more information.