test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3rd Party hosting sites. (Imgur, Flikr, Giphy. etc.)

smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
As we're now on vanilla and are able to post a great deal more embedded content, animated signatures and animated avatars etc. I've noticed that every time I connect to the forums that more and more 3rd party sites are being connected to in order to enable us to use all these new features.

This is not a huge problem from my end, but for some forumites this can be a royal PITA. It's not so much the seeing of the visuals and slowing down of some PC and phone browsers, but more about the number of connections to third party hosting sites eating up connection bandwidth and slowing down the whole thing server and user side.

I'm not suggesting that we reduce the number of pics and other content just the sources we use to host our cool stuffs...

It might even help reduce the chances of seeing messages such as:
Tyk793A.png

So my Questions are:

Should the forums limit the third party sites that we can host from, as a great many other sites do? (Reddit recommends just one site for pics for example.)

Do the community have favourite hosting sites that would be suitable for recommendation?

I personally use and would endorse Imgur for images including animated gifs.

For those interested spoiler contains list of connected sites from forum main page.

rackcdn.com
perfectworld.com
tumblr.com
deviantart.net
imgur.com
giphy.com
googleusercontent.com
pandawhale.com
gifsoup.com
cutecatgifs.com
chzbgr.com
edgecastcdn.net
fastly.com
photobucket.com
gr-assets.com
timeout.com
lafinjack.net
catgifs.org
newschoolers.com
wt-cdn.com
nocookie.net
defunctgames.com
memecdn.com
makeagif.com
worldlifestyle.com
wordpress.com
gifyoutube.com
playbuzz.com
care2.com
cats-paradise.net
sunnyskyz.com
hilobrow.com
fjcdn.com
firstwefeast.com
adamriff.com
allsmileys.com
oriooli.com
pinimg.com
steamsignature.com
glitter-graphics.com
staticflickr.com
dropboxusercontent.com
ajax.googleapis.com
tinypic.com
postimg.org
gdevtalk.net
youtube.com
guildlaunch.net
punkrockers.com
holo-federation.com
imgflip.com
ordernetonline.com
vanillicon.com
bp.blogspot.com
chinesefontdesign.com
fbcdn.net
giflike.com
runemasterstudios.com
swgrp.co.uk
thephoenixdivision.com
google.co.uk
ytimg.com
usmagazine.com
lcars.org.uk
dropbox.com
omfgdogs.com
enjin.com
buzzfed.com
grumpybumpers.com
asterpw.github.io
goo.gl
gstatic.com
reactiongifs.com
randumbuzz.com
ntdaily.com
theguardian.com
smith.edu
wikimedia.org
edublogs.org
github.com
rawgit.com
raw.githubusercontent.com
siglaunch.com
blastr.com
directupload.net
reactiongifs.us
comicvine.com
thats-normal.com
V9BQ6SM.gif
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    No.
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Should the forums limit the third party sites that we can host from, as a great many other sites do? (Reddit recommends just one site for pics for example.)

Do the community have favourite hosting sites that would be suitable for recommendation?

No and no.

First, I host images from my own site which uses Cloudflare like a CDN. So I'd rather not have to use 3rd party services when I have my own service that I'm paying for. There are browser extensions that reduce or eliminate images and there are other extensions like adblock that can be used to block all connections to sites or blah, blah, blah. I could go on. Basically, no is what I'm saying.

Second, these images are not slowing PWE or Vanilla down at all. These images are not getting proxied through Vanilla or PWE, they are connections straight through to us from their source. This means the only ones who are in contact with the files are us. Also, PWE uses Rackspace for its CDN, so the avatars and such should be delivered at high speeds and cause PWE no slowdowns.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    While I have a Photobucket account because I got tired of re-uploading the same things over and over, I do not see a need to limit hosting sites unless the hosting site in question is doing something destructive.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • sylenthundersylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    LInks to 3rd party image sites aren't going to put a load on the vanilla forums. In fact, it's a lot faster than if they were hosted locally. There isn't an issue with the images causing the bandwidth issue. That's a limitation of the vanilla forums hardware hosting their own data.​​