No ARC Defender PIN Pop Up Window

Options
where2r1
where2r1 Posts: 32 Arc User
This morning I could NOT sign into the Forums at all using my stand alone IE Browser.
Last night, I tried a couple of times from my Chromebook this did not work, either.

I would enter my ARC credentials then: nothing happened. I tried this a few times.
Still....nothing. It just sat on the Arc page that requests the user name and password, spinning the wheel.

So, this morning I switched over and I signed on via my ARC Window...which, thankfully, still works.
Although it has LOST all my options...where I hid all the folders of forums that I do not read.
God knows, what else is gone.

After catching up on my reading here, I moved over to my e-mails.

There I found five PINs in my e-mail box from ARC Defender.
Some were from last night, when I was trying to sign in via Chromebook.
Some from this morning when I was trying to sign in via IE Browser on my computer.

THEN I realized what the problem is: that spinning wheel was supposed to be the pop up window from ARC Defender and the box that asks for the PIN number to verify my sign in.

ARC Defender is no longer talking to Vanilla Forums???? Or something....

Every day there seems to be a different problem with accessing this forum. It is getting old and ridiculous.

Cryptic, get these amateurish middlemen OUT of your forums, please. PLEASE!!!!
Post edited by where2r1 on

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    Options
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Cryptic, get these amateurish middlemen OUT of your forums, please. PLEASE!!!!
    Just FYI, PWE owns Cryptic Studios, and this is PWE's forum.

Also, the forum is still a work in progress. PWE followed it's usual modus operandi and moved everything over WAY before they finished working the bugs out.

Browse the forums using perfectworld.vanillaforums.com and ditch Arc as much as you possibly can. I also submitted a ticket to have them completely disable Arc Defender on my account because it does not remember my devices at all.​​
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    Options
    clear any cryptic, perfectworld or arcgames cookies via your browser privacy settings and try again. That worked for me in the past when I wasn't able to log in/get past defender. ​​
  • where2r1
    Options
    Also, the forum is still a work in progress. PWE followed it's usual modus operandi and moved everything over WAY before they finished working the bugs out.

For real???? You don't say??? LOL!
    Browse the forums using perfectworld.vanillaforums.com and ditch Arc as much as you possibly can.

I would "ditch ARC" and I had decided to "ditch ARC", last week. Found the smoothest operation on this forum was on the IE brower...which is what I was TRYING to use.

The IE browser log in is failing because I can not enter a PIN in ARC Defender....this just started this morning (Saturday). The little pop up window never shows up...there is some sort of error going on there.

BUT ARC Defender sends me an e-mail with a pin every time I attempt it....so something is not working on the Vanilla Forum website.

This was a CHANGE from yesterday (Friday) when I signed on without a problem and even entered a pin as required in the ARC Defender pop up window.

Which is what I am trying to report. Is this the wrong place?

Maybe the title is misleading? "NO ARC Defender PIN Request Pop Up Window" may be more clear.
    I also submitted a ticket to have them completely disable Arc Defender on my account because it does not remember my devices at all.​​

I normally DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ARC Defender. I have completed PIN verification with ARC Defender many times and I was able to enter the Forums without issue, until today.

This is a problem that started today, Saturday morning....July 11, 2015.

And, YES, I need to sign in because I can not read the "Test Server" folder in Star Trek Online forums if I do not.
  • where2r1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    eiledon wrote: »
    clear any cryptic, perfectworld or arcgames cookies via your browser privacy settings and try again. That worked for me in the past when I wasn't able to log in/get past defender. ​​

I have the setting on my browsers that clears all cookies and files when I close my browsers on my computer. Which is why I need to get that ARC Defender pin every time I sign in.

Thanks for the help. :smiley:

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    Options
    Which is what I am trying to report. Is this the wrong place?
    Nope, this is the right place. I just wanted to clear up your misconceptions about who actually "owns" the forums ect., provide some information (not everyone realises this is still a huge work in progress), and offer an alternative. samurai-1.gif

What about other browsers? Most people quit using IE for anything other than a tool to download FF or Chrome a long time ago.
    ​​
  • where2r1
    Options
    I just wanted to make sure SOMEONE knows there is a problem with Vanilla Forum and the error that causes NO ARC Defender pop up window. Arc Defender sends me a PIN e-mail but I can not enter it because there is no place to type it in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++
    What about other browsers? Most people quit using IE for anything other than a tool to download FF or Chrome a long time ago.
    ​​

Here is my problems with Chrome................

Last time I tried to sign on with the full version of Chrome (on my computer), Vanilla Forum would ask me to sign in with the ARC username and password. Then I would get a forum screen topped with an ARC bar. In the ARC bar it showed my user name and my little picture of the cactus. But I was not signed in the forum.

When I tried to comment, Vanilla forum would take me back to the ARC log in page, then ask me to sign on, again. And it would create another window, this time inside the first ARC window, with another ARC Bar (also showing I was signed in with my user name and picture on it), and the forums below. I am still not able to do anything on the forums in that window.

In the end, I had a stack of ARC bars. It showed I WAS logged into ARC, my username and my picture was on each and every ARC bar going across the top of the page. But I had no access to the Vanilla forum, itself.

I no longer try to sign in with Chrome.

I switched to IE. Because IE worked properly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

On my Chromebook...which, also, uses the Chrome browser:

I could sign in, even using ARC Defender....no problems. ARC would show me as signed in, and Vanilla Forum would show me as signed in. BUT every time I moved to a new page on the Forums, the Vanilla Forum did not know who I was. I lost my Forum sign in. I would refresh the page and everything was back.

Every time I read a comment, I would have to hit refresh to comment. Every time I went back to the menu page, I would have to hit refresh. When I would go to the "Test Server" folder (which is blocked unless I was signed in), it would dump me on the ARC main page on the internet.

For the convenience of being able to move around the house with my Chromebook and read, that was a work around I could do.

I STOPPED trying to LOG IN using my Chromebook on July 7th.

On that day, I tried to sign in using my Chromebook and ARC Defender sent me 2 pins for access in my e-mail. Neither pin worked in the ARC Defender PIN pop up window associated with Vanilla Forums. I stopped when ARC Defender threatened to lock me out if I incorrectly entered a pin 5 times.

I went to my computer and figured out Vanilla forum would work in the ARC program forum window OR on an Internet Explorer window.

And that is why I use IE for forum browsing and not my default browser, which is Chrome.
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    Options
    eiledon wrote: »
    clear any cryptic, perfectworld or arcgames cookies via your browser privacy settings and try again. That worked for me in the past when I wasn't able to log in/get past defender.

I have the setting on my browsers that clears all cookies and files when I close my browsers on my computer. Which is why I need to get that ARC Defender pin every time I sign in.

Thanks for the help. :smiley:

all? i know there are fearmongers and luddites that have made cookies out to be the bane of the web, but they are actually useful! have you considered whitelisting the forum domains?​​
  • where2r1
    Options
    So, there is the full story. Pass this along to the people working on this forum...

I hope this helps PWE and Vanilla Forum figure out what is going on.
    I would like to be able to sign in from any browser...without having to do a dance.

I am tired of trouble shooting, changing options and switching this, and switching that every time I try to access the forums. THEN, have it NOT WORK when I come back the next time.

I would LOVE to stop using this ARC program window. It does not have basic options. Not even a spell checker!!
    I would love to use any browser I have on my devices.

I am not going to download a Firefox browser and fiddle with it, just for Vanilla Forums.
    I am not the forum trouble shooter. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic or Vanilla Forums.

I even think the PWE employees are tired of this forum migration....from reading what you have said.
    And it is too bad.
  • where2r1
    Options
    all? i know there are fearmongers and luddites that have made cookies out to be the bane of the web, but they are actually useful! have you considered whitelisting the forum domains?​​

As part of my troubleshooting on IE. I changed the options to: ALLOW ALL COOKIES and set the "Security" on the IE browser the lowest it could go.

Still does not work. LOL!

So, it is NOT a cookie issue...it is Vanilla Forum issue.
    There is an error when it tries to bring up the ARC Defender Window... the one that pops up so you can enter the pin.
    It never shows up..... all I get is a spinning wheel.

And, yes, I know how to turn off ARC Defender.

• where2r1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh, and, yes tehbubbaloo..... all files were gone. I manually checked both the Temp Internet Files AND Cookies folder were empty.

OK...I don't know how all the fancy stuff goes together...but I know how to deal with basics. LOL! :wink:
  • where2r1
    Options
    OH man... I didn't know the comments would lose the censoring if you edited them. LOL!
  • where2r1
    Options
    And today's problem is: VanFor1.jpg

Categories