Vanilla Incoming Features/Request for Feedback

Comments

• where2r1
    where2r1 Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Ugh...now what?

I seem to have lost all the "hide" options and have to sort and read through all the game posts, again?
    ON the ARC window.

Someone delete this comment for me.
    I give up on these forums until something gets in order.
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    It would be nice if we could get the ability to bookmark individual posts and not just threads.

If you click on the time the post was made under the persons avatar, it takes you to that comment (not quite like vB where you got it on it's own, but it does still take you to that post in the thread). Then you just hit bookmark. ​​

Not anymore; it did, until they started the forced redirect into frames.
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    protogoth wrote: »
    It would be nice if we could get the ability to bookmark individual posts and not just threads.

If you click on the time the post was made under the persons avatar, it takes you to that comment (not quite like vB where you got it on it's own, but it does still take you to that post in the thread). Then you just hit bookmark.

Ah, didn't realise they'd broken that too with their redirect. Yet another reason I'm glad I'm using the enhancement plugin from asterelle. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • ovenusarmanio
    ovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015

If you click on the time the post was made under the persons avatar, it takes you to that comment (not quite like vB where you got it on it's own, but it does still take you to that post in the thread). Then you just hit bookmark.

Ah, didn't realise they'd broken that too with their redirect. Yet another reason I'm glad I'm using the enhancement plugin from asterelle.

When I do that, it bookmarks the whole thread. :\​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • khamseenair

Ah, didn't realise they'd broken that too with their redirect. Yet another reason I'm glad I'm using the enhancement plugin from asterelle.

When I do that, it bookmarks the whole thread. :\

Strange. What browser are you using? When I click on the time of the post it changes the URL to go to the comment instead of the thread.
    Like instead of this http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1193222/vanilla-incoming-features-request-for-feedback#latest
    If I click on your post I get this http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12599873/#Comment_12599873​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • vorwoda
    vorwoda Posts: 99 Arc User
    [*] Visual Changes - Right now, the background and text contrast with each other too much. We will look to soften this (color recommendations are more than welcome) and improve readability for things like links embedded within the forum post.

For me, the current colors are fine. My eyes are sensitive to light (probably a bit of Reman blood ;) ), so light on dark is great.

Not everyone is the same, though. I remember Bethesda's Elder Scrolls Forums had forum color schemes selectable (and choices saved) in user's Profiles. For me, the forums would be a light text on black background, for someone else it would be black text on a parchment-like yellow/brown background, or black on green or something. Makes everyone happy.
  • antonine3258
    antonine3258 Posts: 548 Arc User
    Forum page numbers at the bottom would be very useful for navigating.

Could we get a 'latest' to click since the individual pages of entries are a bit longer on this forum version?
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    Forum page numbers at the bottom would be very useful for navigating.

Could we get a 'latest' to click since the individual pages of entries are a bit longer on this forum version?

We were supposed to have one. They broke it with the forced ARC redirect.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited July 2015

Strange. What browser are you using? When I click on the time of the post it changes the URL to go to the comment instead of the thread.
    Like instead of this http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1193222/vanilla-incoming-features-request-for-feedback#latest
    If I click on your post I get this http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12599873/#Comment_12599873

It does that when I click on the time too. But when I add it to bookmarks, the thread rather than the comment gets added to bookmarks. It looks like it might be adding the comment, but it's really the thread. If you attempt to navigate to the bookmarked comment from bookmarks, it takes you to the #latest rather than the comment. I'm using firefox.​​

• khamseenair

If I click on your post I get this http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/12599873/#Comment_12599873

It does that when I click on the time too. But when I add it to bookmarks, the thread rather than the comment gets added to bookmarks. It looks like it might be adding the comment, but it's really the thread. If you attempt to navigate to the bookmarked comment from bookmarks, it takes you to the #latest rather than the comment. I'm using firefox.

Oh that is weird. It might be a Firefox thing then as I have several posts with important information bookmarked in Chrome and going to them always takes me to the comment I clicked on before bookmarking rather than the latest post. I'll have to go play around in Firefox and see if there's a workaround. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • wraithgore
    wraithgore Posts: 73 Arc User
    Two recommendations that help in manuevering through a forum in general these days - if these have been said I'm sorry I didn't have time to read through 5 pages of this thread. But if was stated think of it agreement on those who said it.
    1) Ability to have a "To Top Of Page" follow me arrow or button or bottom right side or upon reaching bottom of page, "Go to top of page" link.
    2) Add in the list of pages at the bottom of each page, since you don't have #1 I keep having to scroll back up which if I'm trying to get to where i need to be, and finding that a lot of what I'm reading is old, gets a little cumbsersome...

These two are just recommendations which I know are easy to implement in a system such as SMF or others but unsure as to how it is to be done in Vanilla as I have not had a chance to work with it.

Thank You,
  • arkangel11004
    arkangel11004 Posts: 41 Arc User
    My two cents:

I feel that the animated signatures are way to distracting for this, or any forum. They stray too far away from the forums' purpose, which is to communicate. These just distract from the message of the sender.

A blue scheme, as others mentioned, I feel would be a good addition, but not as a light blue color. Bright color would be too distracting, I feel. And for those who say this would feel like a Fed aimed theme, they are probably right. However, 73% of Star Trek Online players are Federation. This is why Feds are favored over Klg and Rom factions. Now there are those who say that neglect of the Klg and Rom factions is the reason why so many are Fed players. While this may have some truth to it. The players usually guide the development. If there were more Klg/Rom players to begin with, they would get more attention. And on top of all that, Star Trek stories are meant to be told through the Fed's eyes. That is why the Fed is favored.

Anyway, I support a darker blue theme for this forum, I think that would be acceptable.
    I, again, feel that the animated signatures are too distracting for this forum setting.
    Also, I would like page number buttons at the bottom of forum pages, but I hear this is already in the works.

Thank You
  • gulberat
    Question: I have seen comments in this and other threads that the Flag queue is not actually visible to mods. Is that true? If it is, what's the procedure, to PM moderators or try to file an ARC ticket now that that category doesn't exist anymore?

On the STO forum PM'ing mods was technically not allowed but I'm not sure what the alternative is here if Flag doesn't work?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • protogoth
    protogoth Posts: 2,260 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    Question: I have seen comments in this and other threads that the Flag queue is not actually visible to mods. Is that true? If it is, what's the procedure, to PM moderators or try to file an ARC ticket now that that category doesn't exist anymore?

On the STO forum PM'ing mods was technically not allowed but I'm not sure what the alternative is here if Flag doesn't work?

I dunno if they can see it or not, but I just got a "spam block" on my account for trying to flag more than 3 posts in less than 60 seconds, telling me I can't post that much. I didn't post. I flagged posts. It's not MY fault some twit decided to post five threads which are nothing but mockery of a segment of the community; I was only trying to report the threads. "Welcome to Galorndon Core, where no good deed goes unpunished."
    Fleets_Banner_2015-05-01_0950.jpg
    Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann -- Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
    Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet
    ahr'Lleiset mnhei'sahe mnei. Our chief governing passion is Freedom.
    Republic Veteran!!!

I'm still female, so please stop referring to me as "he."
  • gulberat
    Well, that's "good" to know the system will do that. I selected a...representative sample. I figure when someone's having a meltdown, their post history is easily accessible. :/

• khamseenair
    Just a heads up for Devs, there seems to be a strange bug some of us have noticed. For some reason when you delete or move posts out of a thread, it seems that it no longer shows as having any new posts, even if it does, until the thread has reached it's previous number of posts before posts were removed. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • ovenusarmanio
    Well, that's "good" to know the system will do that. I selected a...representative sample. I figure when someone's having a meltdown, their post history is easily accessible. :/

I don't know what STO in specific will do, as pm'ing mods is how you're supposed to get threads looked at by mods in PWI. But I know that most of the mods cannot see the flagged queue. Again, not sure about STO in specific but that's generally the case.​​

• gulberat

I don't know what STO in specific will do, as pm'ing mods is how you're supposed to get threads looked at by mods in PWI. But I know that most of the mods cannot see the flagged queue. Again, not sure about STO in specific but that's generally the case.​​

I thought the new rules at the top of the forum (blue box) meant that we are all under STO's rules now no matter where on the forums we were? Or maybe I need to read that thing again...

• ovenusarmanio
    edited July 2015

I don't know what STO in specific will do, as pm'ing mods is how you're supposed to get threads looked at by mods in PWI. But I know that most of the mods cannot see the flagged queue. Again, not sure about STO in specific but that's generally the case.

I thought the new rules at the top of the forum (blue box) meant that we are all under STO's rules now no matter where on the forums we were? Or maybe I need to read that thing again...

They serve in addition to (not in lieu of) community rules. I asked about the moderator thing in specific, in fact, when they were initially changed. PW doesn't even have a CM atm, so I have to talk to the PM. I can't even see the flagged posts queue. So posters have to message me or do the @ thing.​​

• asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    I don't know how seriously you can take the language of the rules anyway. They always say the admins can choose to take any action or no action for any reason or no reason. If you are annoying for whatever reason the admins will ban you and point you at the rules which hopefully contains something about how you were being annoying. But importantly it's not as if they are actively look at the rules for guidance. Forum rules are more like guidelines that specify how they want you to behave rather than commands about how you must behave. The only real rule is 'don't annoy the admins'.​​
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited July 2015
    asterelle wrote: »
    I don't know how seriously you can take the language of the rules anyway. They always say the admins can choose to take any action or no action for any reason or no reason. If you are annoying for whatever reason the admins will ban you and point you at the rules which hopefully contains something about how you were being annoying. But importantly it's not as if they are actively look at the rules for guidance. Forum rules are more like guidelines that specify how they want you to behave rather than commands about how you must behave. The only real rule is 'don't annoy the admins'.

You're banned now. K thanks bai.dino1-4.gif Obviously kidding. Actually if was really down to how annoying people are, there would be a LOT more banned people. Let me tell ya. You should be pretty safe if you follow the guideline posted.​​

• asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    The unofficial PWE Forums Enhancement Extension has now been officially released!
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1195098

It addresses most of the complaints and requests brought up in this thread. Go give it a try!
    ​​
  • captaincelestial
    captaincelestial Posts: 4 Arc User
    Being able to 'favourite'/designate forums we regularly look at/participate in discussions would be nice. Clicking on the wrong link sets us back to base list of forums.
    'Today is a popular day to die!
  • chilleule
    chilleule Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Forum Page Numbers - The forum page numbers only appear at the top. We are also going to be adding them to the bottom.

so, when is this going to happen? for me its the most urgent point. how st***d or lazy has someone to be, to oversee this in the beginning...
  • tehbubbaloo
    tehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    chilleule wrote: »
    Forum Page Numbers - The forum page numbers only appear at the top. We are also going to be adding them to the bottom.

so, when is this going to happen? for me its the most urgent point. how st***d or lazy has someone to be, to oversee this in the beginning...
    whats so sad is that they were there in the beginning!

and they are obviously still playing with the style. just within the past couple of days they have removed the 'edited:' line above the sig that i had been using instead of the postbit edit.
    div.PostEdited {
    display: none;
    }
    ​​
  • kreatyve
    kreatyve Posts: 1,343 Community Moderator
    I'm a bit late to post here, I guess. However, in my opinion, animated sigs have got to go. They are distracting, and certain ones can cause seizures. If we try to warn someone that their animation is causing issues, they say "well there's no rule about it". So to me, a blanket ban on animated signatures would be for the best.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic.
    poldau604a2.png
  • nrglg
    nrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    and they are obviously still playing with the style. just within the past couple of days they have removed the 'edited:' line above the sig that i had been using instead of the postbit edit.
    div.PostEdited {
    display: none;
    }

@tehbubbaloo That wasn't them, that was me. Global fixes runs in the background of the enhancement now and I decided that the post edited message above the signatures was a horrible plague on the design that needed to be eradicated from all themes. Plus, there's already a post edited message on the left-hand side, so it felt redundant.

Edit: By the way, you can force it back to being visible by using "display:block !important"

--
    Hey PWE, there is an open source JS lib that can stop animated gifs. Why don't you make it an option to disable animated gifs from playing. It's completely possible and shouldn't be too hard to implement for client-side.

There's also this for the manual labor side in you: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3688460/stopping-gif-animation-programmatically
    What it does is take the first frame from the gif and draws it onto a HTML5 canvas. Simple and smart.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • kreatyve
    kreatyve Posts: 1,343 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015

I can see forum page numbers at top and bottom. Why can I see them and you can't?

EDIT: can see them because of Stylish. Figured it out by disabling it.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic.
    poldau604a2.png
  • yetweallfalldown
    yetweallfalldown Posts: 20 admin
    It's been quite some time since I've updated this thread as we've been really busy working on our end to make adjustments, but also have a smooth update. My biggest focus is to not make an updates to the forums that will create additional issues. From the looks of things, we'll be making some fairly significant changes in a couple weeks. We'll have more details as we get closer including maintenance times and items being changed. That original list is mostly being tackled with a few stragglers that we'll update once we knock out a large chunk of things.

More updates to come!
    Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
    Support | YouTube
  • ovenusarmanio
    edited July 2015
    kreatyve wrote: »

I can see forum page numbers at top and bottom. Why can I see them and you can't?

I can't see them either and I'm a moderator as well... o.O. I can only see them by using the community made stuff.

Categories