What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

which is your primary web brower?

tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Suggestions

which is your primary web brower? 30 votes

google chrome
40%
tehbubbalooqziqzakhamseenairsylenthundernyxadrillthemetalstickmannrglgdblazen1ovenusarmaniowynahfahrabluhmanedira 12 votes
mozilla firefox
56%
ladycranehockey57dabelgraveilithynguljarolblauzahn64gulberatshade13charyfrtoastersmeeinn1tabsparrmateyskaiserkactostrictlyevilthefirejackSeschat 17 votes
internet explorer
0%
opera
3%
cococya 1 vote
safari
0%

Comments

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    google chrome
    im aware of global usage stats, but im trying to get a feel for what the most common browsers are on this board, particularly IE.
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    ​​It was chrome but I'm thinking I should switch back to Firefox. Chrome has way too much memory bloat and Firefox starts up a lot faster.
    Post edited by asterelle on
  • sylenthundersylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    google chrome
    asterelle wrote: »
    It was chrome but I'm thinking I should switch back to Firefox. Chrome has way too much memory bloat and Firefox starts up a lot faster.

Yeah, I've been poking at FF a bit more lately myself. I used to use it quite a lot until the Dev team at FF dropped the ball. A year or so ago they picked it back up and got ahead of the curve, but it's been hard to give up Chrome, especially with so many sites being developed for it instead of the others.
  • opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    I use Chrome and Firefox pretty much interchangeably. I have opera but basically never use it. IE is the thing I used to install Firefox and Chrome so I could actually surf the web.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • dblazen1dblazen1 Posts: 61 Arc User
    google chrome
    Chrome and firefox, but mainly Chrome.
  • bejaymacbejaymac Posts: 17 Arc User
    google chrome
    bejaymac wrote: »
    None of the above, I use Maxthon 4.

that's a vote for IE.
  • ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    google chrome
    Nobody cares about your hipster maxathon! xMHLXms.gif Just kidding. I am using FireFox primarily at the moment, but that's just because Chrome has been annoying me these past couple of months. Even still I find myself going back to Chrome some things and will probably make the switch back to Chrome, which is what I've been using pretty much since it's inception. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • arrmateysarrmateys Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    mozilla firefox
    mostly firefox.

i had to also start using chrome on the side until they fix ff's greasemonkey, the 3.x releases have some nasty bug that keeps replicating scripts in memory and running them for no reason, hogging over 3 gb ram and using 100% cpu, slowing the browsing to a crawl, eventually crashing so i had to roll back to old version that half of the scripts no longer support.

i can't browse a bunch of websites i do without the scripts. lol. so now i use two browsers, though primarily firefox.

i used to use opera long ago, but stopped ever since they killed the original 12.x branch and turned it into a barebones, featureless clone of chrome.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    google chrome
    Google Chrome here.

Occasionally I delve into Firefox but IE is atrocious so never use it unless I have too.
    server_hamster6.png
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    google chrome
    It was chrome but I'm thinking I should switch back to Firefox. Chrome has way too much memory bloat and Firefox starts up a lot faster.

Each tab in Chrome is a process so that when a tab freezes, everything doesn't crash, and that's where the "bloat" comes from. It's just standard overhead of any process. FF just recently introduced a feature that mimics that exact thing in FF and will become a standard feature in the future. So if this is your reason for going back to FF, it's not a good one. FF will be taking up as much memory sooner than later.

--
    I use Chrome for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they support the ruby-tag which I require in certain web software and FF has fought to implement it for many, many years with no good excuses. It's also generally significantly more stable than FF. It doesn't prevent access to sites that have self-signed SSL certificates like, oh, I don't know, Google. tiger-24.gif It currently also supports more CSS4 pseudo selectors than FF, so that's a bonus. Albeit, in the most recent nightly build, it is only falling a single step behind Chrome.

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups

that's a vote for IE.
    Shows how much you know, MX4 uses webkit which is the same as Chrome
  • dblazen1dblazen1 Posts: 61 Arc User
    google chrome

that's a vote for IE.

Chrome uses blink (which is a fork of webkit, but hey still, it's not entirely webkit)
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    opera
    Opera, because I like it, it's easy to use and I find the mouse gestures really fun and useful. onion-5.gif
    ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
    google chrome

that's a vote for IE.

maxathon has traditionally used trident (internet explorer) and recently started allowing people to use webkit rendering.
    I don't know if id say the fact there is a webkit render option makes it like chrome any more that id say chrome is like safari (webkit), or even newer opera (webkit)
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    nrglg wrote: »

Each tab in Chrome is a process so that when a tab freezes, everything doesn't crash, and that's where the "bloat" comes from. It's just standard overhead of any process. FF just recently introduced a feature that mimics that exact thing in FF and will become a standard feature in the future. So if this is your reason for going back to FF, it's not a good one. FF will be taking up as much memory sooner than later.

The worse part is how each extension is its own process, not just each tab.
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    mozilla firefox
    I am currently using Firefox. Chrome had a bad run of pushing out updates that were violently incompatible with Flash, let the problem go for months on end when many users were reporting the same issue--and on top of that, they do forced updates. Even more, you cannot install old versions because they've done their d*mnedest to disable all stand-alone installers. To install a legacy version and prevent forced updating, it was not simply a matter of going in the menu and turning off a few settings. I had to go in, selectively delete .exe files, system tasks, and all sorts of other voodoo to make it stop. After watching Google customer service fail repeatedly while I waited for a fix on the latest version, I finally had enough and went back to Firefox. So far, I've been more satisfied with Firefox's performance than with Chrome.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

that's a vote for IE.

maxathon has traditionally used trident (internet explorer) and recently started allowing people to use webkit rendering.
    I don't know if id say the fact there is a webkit render option makes it like chrome any more that id say chrome is like safari (webkit), or even newer opera (webkit)

I've been using Maxthon since version 1, back then yes it was more like IE, but since 2010 and the betas of MX3 it's default engine has been webkit, it's dual engine so it does have Trident as well, but I haven't found a website that needed to use it in roughly 3 years.
  • shade13shade13 Posts: 103 Arc User
    mozilla firefox
    Firefox since ages and always. I use some add-ons for it without which it's uncomfortable for me to surf/work etc.
    Chrome turned out to be a real pain because of some features, I use it just occasionally.
  • comrademococomrademoco Posts: 592 Arc User
    why is there no option for Chrome, IE and FF??? I use all 3??? why???
  • strictlyevilstrictlyevil Posts: 338 Arc User
    mozilla firefox
    I tend to use Chrome on my home PC and FF while at work. My work PC just can't keep up with what chrome requires. It was still using XP up until I upgraded just 2 weeks ago.
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    mozilla firefox

I use Firefox, but if you're considering switching, you should be aware that PWE has yet to fix the SSL problems that arcgames.com has with Firefox.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190685/ssl-error-on-arcgames-com-ssl-error-no-cypher-overlap
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1190682/firefox-isnt-accepting-ssl-certificate-from-arcgames-com

It doesn't prevent access to sites that have self-signed SSL certificates like, oh, I don't know, Google.

Is this an old problem that has been fixed? I don't have any problems getting Firefox to verify Google's SSL certificate.
  • kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    "State secret." ;P

(And yes.. the reference to "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" is intended).
    "My people have a reputation for arrogance. I'm afraid it's well-earned."
    gnmIUhe.jpg
    "She may have flaws, but she has teeth."
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    google chrome
    frtoaster wrote: »
    It doesn't prevent access to sites that have self-signed SSL certificates like, oh, I don't know, Google.

Is this an old problem that has been fixed? I don't have any problems getting Firefox to verify Google's SSL certificate.

Mmm, it looks like it now. I haven't used FF to surf the web since Chrome first came out. Although, I can't confirm whether or not the problem is fixed. I'd need a 3rd party relatively unknown website that uses a self-signed certificate to confirm if the issue has been resolved. Cause it seems to me like Google was added into FF so that's why it works now, but if not them you'd get "sec_error_unknown_issuer" and would have to add the exception manually. Which is not a task a regular user is expected to understand how to do.

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
  • sylenthundersylenthunder Posts: 256 Community Moderator
    google chrome
    why is there no option for Chrome, IE and FF??? I use all 3??? why???
    This is for your primary browser. You don't use all three as your primary.
    The poll is for the one you use the most.
  • charychary Posts: 116 Arc User
    mozilla firefox
    Pretty much been mainly using Firefox since the mid-2000s? I only use Chrome or IE when I have issues getting a website to work in Firefox for w/e reason.
  • qziqzaqziqza Posts: 969 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    google chrome
    g6Dfzrc.png?1
    i have been using FF for years, but decided to try chrome over the last 3 or 4 weeks.. removed FF from this machine few days ago as im liking the look and feel of chrome.. this machine only has an OS, Steam and Browser on it, so if there is any extra bloat im not noticing it.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    opera
    Oh my gosh, I'm such a hipster bahaha! mouse-27.gif
    Also, purple is my favorite color so yey me. monkey-44.giffox-44.gifmouse-29.gif
    ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Posts: 513 Arc User
    google chrome
    On my computer I use Chrome, but the computers at my college use Firefox. Like many others, I only use IE to download Chrome.

And I don't use Safari because I don't use a Mac.
    I like the rebooted movie series (I refuse to call it "JJTrek").
    TbGf2df.gif
  • ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    google chrome
    cococya wrote: »
    Oh my gosh, I'm such a hipster bahaha! mouse-27.gif
    Also, purple is my favorite color so yey me. monkey-44.giffox-44.gifmouse-29.gif

I view these forums on a different browser. You wouldn't know it.

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.