test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Portal-Wide Forum Migration

Comments

• askrayaskray Posts: 3,308 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    walk2k wrote: »
    yeah um NWO forum is deleted? figures since the moderation was so bad there you basically had to be a PW cheerleader or your posts was deleted.

For reference OF these Code of Conduct rules see for the time being - Click Here
    & as Kitty said above along with this post's 1st post the forums have NOT BEEN DELETED only unavailable until they finish moving them to the new forum. And I am sure the mod's from the old forums will be mods on the new forums soon enough so watch your attitude please. Thank you. :)

Well that was annoying to quote lol. But yes, rules will be unified soon enough so it's easier :smile:
    Senior Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

• gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    That unification of rules might be a culture shock for people from some of the oldest forums (PWI I know for sure...). The newer ones have much more "legalese" rules. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because on a very small forum I am a mod for, I looked at the STO rules to help me check for any serious omissions on ours.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • cococyacococya Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I guess I'll be sticking to regular text for the most part.

Oh my gosh, you sig, now I cannot stop this song from playing in my head https://youtube.com/watch?v=3WdYzsLcFVk
    ladybeard-crossdressing-wrestler-death-metal-singer-05.jpg
  • revjimjonesrevjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    That unification of rules might be a culture shock for people from some of the oldest forums (PWI I know for sure...). The newer ones have much more "legalese" rules. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, because on a very small forum I am a mod for, I looked at the STO rules to help me check for any serious omissions on ours.

The First rule of NWO is don't talk about the rules.
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • askrayaskray Posts: 3,308 Community Moderator
    gulberat wrote: »
    From what I know, we won't be just sending a hammer down on everyone that the rules change on. We will still give some "hey heads up rules are yadda yadda" :smile:
    Senior Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

• rawynnrawynn Posts: 42 Arc User
    so when are we going to get some info on how to properly post a forum sig.?
    7GNOisE.gif?1
    rawynn wrote: »
    so when are we going to get some info on how to properly post a forum sig.?

For yours, try making the IMG lower-case. See if that helps...

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    Is there a way to turn off the color text and in-comment images? I already found the thing for turning off signatures, but couldn't tell if there was a way to get rid of the other things as well.
  • revjimjonesrevjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    Is there a way to turn off the color text and in-comment images? I already found the thing for turning off signatures, but couldn't tell if there was a way to get rid of the other things as well.

The Color is HERE TO STAY BABY!
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]

Other than using some sort of browser add-on, no. There isn't a setting on the forum to do that.

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 5,307 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    But what if I don't want to only use red or blue text? Nope this is too complicated. I just want to type and be done with it.

Nope, that's a terrible color. I give up. Back to vanilla text. Which was PWI's plan all along. Vanilla Text.

PTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPTPT!
    We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet.
  • rattler2rattler2 Posts: 18,477 Arc User
    Could try <font color=green>green</font> or <font color=yellow>yellow</font>...
    848d8c4af425ca165c80f1959de02ba1-d7jlk1h.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Posts: 869 Arc User
    Geez, people need to learn to stop making swipes at the NW forum mods. The only reason they remove half of everyones posts are because you guys repeatedly break the rules over and over. X_X
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    XB1 Thaumaturge PVE CW Build || NW_Legit_Community Moderator || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T

Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    <font color=#282d37>Or you could use this if you want to be secretive.</font>
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
    Wonder if <font color= purple>Huskie</font> <font color=gold>Colors</font> work...
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    edited June 2015
    Wonder if <font color= purple>Huskie</font> <font color=gold>Colors</font> work...

No. Those don't work at all. Well, not that dark pink one.

Its not pink. Its purple.
    <font color=pink>THIS IS PINK!</font>

Or... lightish red for those Red vs Blue fans. :smiley:
  • virusdancervirusdancer Posts: 19,038 Arc User
    silverkelt wrote:
    With the tools we had in place already, this is a sad comparison overall, it was a poor choice to migrate everyone to Vanilla.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! By the NINE HELLS
    krittycat wrote:
    The only problem with that line of thought is that it didn't take into account how broken the vBulletin forums actually were. Sure, a lot of it was stuff we got used to over time, but there were definite underlying issues with the implementation they had. To change it would have meant doing this whole thing anyway, with maybe a little less work to change versions of vBulletin, as well as then having to pay the makers of vBulletin exorbitant amounts of money for a license on the new version.

PWE decided that it was time to move on, and probably decided that Vanilla offered them the most for their budget.

If you look at things in a vacuum, vBulletin might have been the better choice. But taking into account the fact that it would probably end up just as broken as it is on the current version of vBulletin in a few months, it's more worth it for PWE to move on to a new software.
    askray wrote:
    NW was running vb4 which was nice, but there was a lot behind the scenes that no one knows about that caused them to make this decision.

Am I thrilled by it? newp. But I do know it was done because it was necessary.

To be honest, it is difficult not to see it simply as a case of wanting to hide complaints about the plethora of issues that various games may have had.

Outside of the everything is awesome, defenders, white knights, fanbois, and so forth folks - I would wager 2 EC that many folks simply will not put up with the myriad of issues on the new forums themselves to offer any potential negative feedback, constructive or not.

The one thing the forums will allow for is making it easier for those everything is awesome, defenders, white knights, fanbois, and so forth folks to report any posts from the diehards that manage to muddle through this mess to make a post that paints either Cryptic or PWE in less than stellar fashion.

Because face it, at least with the old STO forums it tended to paint a pretty dismal picture of both the game and the community. That is pretty bad advertising, so doing something like this conversion which can hide all of that - would obviously look like a good thing.

"But VIrus, they're porting the old posts over! That mess will still be there!"

Yes, but one of the wonderful lacks of a functional feature is the ability to search for such threads. So they will quickly end up buried beneath the pretty rainbows offered by the everything is awesome, defenders, white knights, fanbois, and so forth folks.

But folks can fight that by quoting things from the old threads/post, right? Well, you've probably noticed that along with the nested quote problem that there are some quote issues too, eh?

Quotes do not link back to the quoted post.

Heck, you have to fudge about to try to get back to the original post to verify if the quote was actually said or not - and - that is only if the person leaves in the broken quote. Like this for example, from an earlier post somebody did quoting askray.

Where the code that would show up if one quoted that again would be:
    [quote="askray;37350";]

Minus the escapes, mind you.
    Yet the post would show: askray;37350" said:

One can manually plugin that 37350 number into the following URL:
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/XXXXX/#Comment_XXXXX

Giving you the following link:
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/37350/#Comment_37350

Which will allow one to see that...
    askray wrote: »
    VirusDancer is the best poster ever and the moderators love him!

...is not actually what askray said in that particular post.

Which is something that will favor trolls that like editing posts to fakequote people, eh? How many people are going to create that URL manually to verify a quote was actually made by somebody?

"Dude, Virus, seriously? Did you buy a 2-ply tinfoil hat at the Arm"

Perhaps that is right. Perhaps it is a case of thinking too much into it. Perhaps it is not so much about there being any focus on the loss of base functionality in trying to drive posters away.

Yes, rather perhaps the focus on driving posters away can be found in all the retro 90's nonsense that was done away with long ago that appears to hold some folks mesmerized.

You know, right? Animated avatars, animated signatures, animated smileys, in-line images, and all the rest there? This thread alone has provided ample reason for some people just to walk away from the new forums...

...leaving the everything is awesome, defenders, white knights, fanbois, and so forth folks to enjoy something previous generations moved beyond.

Of course though, it does not have to be an either or situation there. The combination makes quite the nice 1-2 punch, does it not?

"Man oh man, Virus - are you trying to get banned with your first post on the new forums?"

For asking why such basic functionality has been removed? For asking about the emphasis on trying to return to the 90s or even the glittery daze of MySpace? (looking around the internet, one can see how well both of those did over the years) Guess it is a good thing that I did not ask about why all the security concerns that have been raised have been ignored too, yeah?

Well, heck, guess I should be happy that at least we can turn off not only images in signatures but the signatures themselves! Though, I fully expect that to be removed because there will be information in the signatures of the community team and mods that is deemed too important for the feature to remain.
    <font color=#282d37>Or you could use this if you want to be secretive.</font>

Well, what do you know. A truly invisible text color.
    edited June 2015
    Ten Characters. Shhhhh...

:: giggles ::
    VIRUS IS HERE! The STO Forum family is coming together. Where be iconians?

And lol zed. lol
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 2,462 Arc User
    Ugh the forums are so ugly :(
    it's crazy to see the people I know from CO and NW on the same topics though XD
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    Well... I guess that means we Cryptic game players can share stories more easily. I tried checking out the Neverwinter forums one time... I was soooo lost...
  • rickpaaarickpaaa Posts: 478 Arc User
    Waiting for the drama, comedy, and adventure that is the STO forums!
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

Aren't we all?
    We want our ban thread! :D
  • virusdancervirusdancer Posts: 19,038 Arc User
    To be fair, beyond what I said in the previous comment there, some credit should go to the folks out there trying to ease the transition for some folks as much as possible with the change.

I don't always balance my criticism with attaboys, but I still feel it's important to drop them out when warranted.

So again, thanks to those folks.
    I agree virus.

Now where's Tacofangs? We must hail Tacofangs.
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just want to have my sig work on my Main account like it does on my Secondary account... please.
    [b]Still can't use BBCode for my signature, so I'm writing it out in each post... sad.[/b]
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg

Ten Characters. Shhhhh...

:: giggles ::

*Dies laughing*
    That's a good one zed!