test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Portal-Wide Forum Migration

Comments

• josan369josan369 Posts: 114 Arc User
    Yeah, can someone explain to me why I need a special PIN from ARC EVERY SINGLE time I try to log into this new Forum? Because if that's going to be a constant requirement now, then I think I'll just start using the Reddit group for STO.
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    josan369 wrote: »
    Yeah, can someone explain to me why I need a special PIN from ARC EVERY SINGLE time I try to log into this new Forum? Because if that's going to be a constant requirement now, then I think I'll just start using the Reddit group for STO.

It seems to me only some users are being affected by this--not sure why.

Me--I have that problem with the STO Gateway, as opposed to the forum. :/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • revjimjonesrevjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    Yes the forums seem to have different problems for different users.
    It is not an equal opportunity hater
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • josan369josan369 Posts: 114 Arc User
    Right. I guess I'll give it the week to sort out. After all, there is a large pile of data coming over. If it keeps up AFTER the migration is over... then I'll start to get annoyed.
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Posts: 864 Arc User
    I don't see any PIN problems so far. Signature works and all the other active features as well. Any word if we'll have badges active later?
    [img][/img]hcSfM9O.gif
  • rieihdiusrieihdius Posts: 253 Arc User
    I guess there will be no PWI forum for a while....

Right. I guess I'll give it the week to sort out. After all, there is a large pile of data coming over. If it keeps up AFTER the migration is over... then I'll start to get annoyed.

Well if they are doing according to the Vanilla Porter instructions then no data is coming over yet..

Large forums

Forums with over 1 million posts may take a long time to migrate on low-budget hosting plans and cause intense resource usage or downtime while it runs. Forums with over 10 million posts make take a very long time & cause strain on any hosting plan.

For advanced users in these circumstances, copy your database to a localhost installation and run the Porter via the command line. See the Vanilla Porter repository and README for more information. We likewise recommend importing to a localhost copy of Vanilla and running your verification & finalization steps locally, and repeating the Default Roles step after copying the database to production.
    EXH79YQ.gif
  • mjarbarmjarbar Posts: 1,905 Arc User
    Hmm. Well Iguess this will take some getting used to and I hope the migration works out for everyone but if this is supposed to be a modern system I don't think I should have to learn html coding to change things. Hopefully they will be added in the very near future.

Also I don't know if anyone has already said this but when changing pages the page numbers at the bottom of the page take you to the bottom of the next page not back to the top, can this be looked at and put right???

But most of all good luck :smiley:
    XULy4uP.jpg
    SUPPORT THE FOUNDRY - YOUR GATEWAY TO NEW CONTENT
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mjarbarmjarbar Posts: 1,905 Arc User
    trying to test sig please ignor this thanks.
    XULy4uP.jpg
    SUPPORT THE FOUNDRY - YOUR GATEWAY TO NEW CONTENT
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tiekosoratiekosora Posts: 212 Arc User
    @pwlaughingtrendy The best course of action would to have archived the old forums for now, and implement the new forum structure. Leave links for the archived forums. It's what other studios have done, and aside from a few complaints, it's gone by smoothly. On top of that, it would have been FAR less work for you, leaving you free to work on other projects, or to smooth out the wrinkles from the transition.
    eqDaIYP.png

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
    tiekosora wrote: »
    @pwlaughingtrendy The best course of action would to have archived the old forums for now, and implement the new forum structure. Leave links for the archived forums. It's what other studios have done, and aside from a few complaints, it's gone by smoothly. On top of that, it would have been FAR less work for you, leaving you free to work on other projects, or to smooth out the wrinkles from the transition.

Well technically if they paid enough Vanilla forums would do the migration for them as part of the package unless they wanted to do it themselves it really isn't that labor intensive according to the documentation provided by vanillaforums. Basically a few command line instructions hit enter then wait for the process to complete. Then some local testing, then an upload that should take forever. then some more testing.
    EXH79YQ.gif
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 5,307 Arc User
    mjarbar wrote: »
    trying to test sig please ignor this thanks.

Quick. Somebody ban this guy, before he tries to win this thread. :p

We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet.
    I'm curious if there are any time limits on next post here.
    I was getting real frustrating on the old forum.
    Doesn't seem to be a limit, unless it's 5 seconds.
    but there is still a 10 char limit.
  • B) Thanks, I guess I'll just be waiting around then until they load up NW forums. ;)
    How to post images remove spaces I added [shouldbelikethis] vs [ not like this ]
    [ img ] typeurlhere [ /img ]

my_old_sig_from_nw_forums_bigger.png
  • primar13primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User

There are many possible causes to that. I have it everytime I log into arc or the Gateway. My guess is because I'm on a laptop.

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • aloishammeraloishammer Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hoping somebody makes a stylish mod for the new STO forums, this place looks like one big grey headache.

I know, right? Went looking for the STO forums, wandered into a back alley production of Fifty Shades of Bland, Boring Grey.

Blech. Just...Blech.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank like a drunken fool.
  • slingerssslingerss Posts: 33 Arc User
    I look for it to be finished next year!

maybe
    Wow. Went looking for the STO forums, wandered into a back alley production of Fifty Shades of Bland, Boring Grey.

Blech. Just...Blech.

Welcome to 1994
    EXH79YQ.gif
  • aloishammeraloishammer Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    Wow. Went looking for the STO forums, wandered into a back alley production of Fifty Shades of Bland, Boring Grey.

Blech. Just...Blech.

Welcome to 1994

Pfft...I had color in 1994, we're talking some timeframe between the TRS-80 and the Tandy Color Computer here. :'(

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the bank like a drunken fool.

Welcome to 1994

Pfft...I had color in 1994, we're talking some timeframe between the TRS-80 and the Tandy Color Computer here. :'(

lots of Color with BBCode
    EXH79YQ.gif
    edited June 2015
    This is just an
    experiment

Spoiler is just weird. And that's no spoiler. :: shrug ::

[style size="15px"]Judge me by my size, do you?[/style]

Well that didn't work. :p
    I guess I'll be sticking to regular text for the most part.
    I guess I'll be sticking to regular text for the most part.

Nope BBCode for Colors
    EXH79YQ.gif
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Posts: 1,730 Arc User
    This is the New Sarcasm Color for the new Forums!

WTH... that is a lot of work for that color
    Atwil (TR) \ Corvus Corax (GF) \ O'siris (CW) \ Sirius (HR) -- Civil Anarchy

Love PvP, but hate the pain associated with it? Send me a PM for a solution... the OfficialPuGPvP channel is LIVE.

If you throw a big rock into a pond the ripples have an effect on everything in the water. If you throw a little rock into a pond... there is very little disruption from the ripples.
  • tiekosoratiekosora Posts: 212 Arc User
    While we wait, the new SWTOR expansion teaser trailer is out. Nicely done.
    eqDaIYP.png

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    This is the New Sarcasm Color for the new Forums!

WTH... that is a lot of work for that color

Ok how about a solid color then.
    EXH79YQ.gif
  • jane111111111jane111111111 Posts: 8
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    There are many possible causes to that. I have it everytime I log into arc or the Gateway. My guess is because I'm on a laptop.

FOR ANSWERS TO THIS QUESTION click this sentence ;)
    How to post images remove spaces I added [shouldbelikethis] vs [ not like this ]
    [ img ] typeurlhere [ /img ]

my_old_sig_from_nw_forums_bigger.png