test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Portal-Wide Forum Migration

Comments

• kurumimorishitakurumimorishita Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

Use this link to get rid of the laggy arc shell they surrounded this with on the arcpage. Still a little laggier than the superior vBulletin we were using, but oh well.

Now, someone give me the ability to disable animated gifs, please! Too distracting.

Also, invites for Neverwinter Alpha Stronghold PVP testing are out guys :P

edit: Why can't I use
    [center]

tags in my signature on these forums C_C

For some reason the center bbcode is not working.. use the center html code for it (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_center.asp).
    "My people have a reputation for arrogance. I'm afraid it's well-earned."
    gnmIUhe.jpg
    "She may have flaws, but she has teeth."
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 5,307 Arc User
    krittycat wrote: »
    So do we have a Star Trek Forum or is that still coming? I only ask because there is not one Star Trek thread that I can see on my screen at the new set up. I'm totally lost here. :(
    primar13 wrote: »
    its coming...

The above post is correct. Right now, they're in the process of dumping the information from the old forums so that they can be migrated over to the Vanilla forums. There is no estimated time for how long it's going to take, so be patient. :)

Oh,tay, pankie.
    tumblr_mljhv1qERI1s8q8tro1_500.gif

But seriously the best way for me to get used to a new forum/app/etc is experimentation, so I hope no one minds a random post or two. :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    Well least this forum loads up right ._."
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

Use this link to get rid of the laggy arc shell they surrounded this with on the arcpage. Still a little laggier than the superior vBulletin we were using, but oh well.

Now, someone give me the ability to disable animated gifs, please! Too distracting.

Also, invites for Neverwinter Alpha Stronghold PVP testing are out guys :P

See that right there? I would never have guessed that Vanilla Forums was some kind of a brand name. :/ That seems kind of confusing to me.

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Posts: 2,132 Arc User
    I thought they would be bland, or maybe in a creme brulee?
    BigBangTheory032612.jpg?itok=4PnBrLXA

We're Dreamers
  • magenubbiemagenubbie Posts: 4,762 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I presume that not all of the threads will be making the transition from STO... :smiley:
    Hahahaha..... haahahahaha.... ha.... mmmm...
    The same is probably true for the NW forums :p
    "What if your home, your family... What if your dope was on fire?"
    "Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear."

Help! I'm level 60! A guide to the life of an adventurer

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. Or you'll get the horns. - Richard Vernon
    "Common sense is not that common" - Voltaire
    Okay, if anyone get's truly desperate of silly forum antics, like the Ban the Person Above thread or wants to post silly pictures and so for, you can always join us at :

champions-online.proboards.com/

It began mainly as a Champs board, but all PWI folks are welcome.

Again, only if you truly feel desperate for board chit-chat and unofficial silliness. :)
    nepht wrote: »
    Well least this forum loads up right ._."

Well at least nepht made it here. Hi, nepht! :)

• silverkeltsilverkelt Posts: 1,699 Arc User
    With the tools we had in place already, this is a sad comparison overall, it was a poor choice to migrate everyone to Vanilla.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! By the NINE HELLS
    o.OOOOOO

Nine h.e.l.l.s is a accepted post able word in Neverwinterworld.. please fix this admin people. But you cant, because are in Vanilla mode now.. this is what we were talking about, cant even post LORE!
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Posts: 869 Arc User
    silverkelt wrote: »
    With the tools we had in place already, this is a sad comparison overall, it was a poor choice to migrate everyone to Vanilla.

I think we need to start a campaign to transition back to the old forums, I hate this UI, and replying with a quote still doesn't work
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    XB1 Thaumaturge PVE CW Build || NW_Legit_Community Moderator || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T

Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
    When lore is being banned.. not good.

I'm sure that is one of 1 million things not looked at with this migration.

• gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    o.OOOOOO

Nine h.e.l.l.s is a accepted post able word in Neverwinterworld.. please fix this admin people. But you cant, because are in Vanilla mode now.. this is what we were talking about, cant even post LORE!

If that's a part of your game (STO type here, I wouldn't know ;) ), you may want to raise it with the Neverwinter CM. Personally I wouldn't expect a fix until after the migration is complete, but it's worth suggesting.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • krittycatkrittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015

The only problem with that line of thought is that it didn't take into account how broken the vBulletin forums actually were. Sure, a lot of it was stuff we got used to over time, but there were definite underlying issues with the implementation they had. To change it would have meant doing this whole thing anyway, with maybe a little less work to change versions of vBulletin, as well as then having to pay the makers of vBulletin exorbitant amounts of money for a license on the new version.

PWE decided that it was time to move on, and probably decided that Vanilla offered them the most for their budget.

If you look at things in a vacuum, vBulletin might have been the better choice. But taking into account the fact that it would probably end up just as broken as it is on the current version of vBulletin in a few months, it's more worth it for PWE to move on to a new software.
    pfffttt we cant even epeen about our forum join dates here :p ... and the emotes kind of are terrible as well.

• askrayaskray Posts: 3,308 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    krittycat wrote: »

The only problem with that line of thought is that it didn't take into account how broken the vBulletin forums actually were. Sure, a lot of it was stuff we got used to over time, but there were definite underlying issues with the implementation they had. To change it would have meant doing this whole thing anyway, with maybe a little less work to change versions of vBulletin, as well as then having to pay the makers of vBulletin exorbitant amounts of money for a license on the new version.

PWE decided that it was time to move on, and probably decided that Vanilla offered them the most for their budget.

If you look at things in a vacuum, vBulletin might have been the better choice. But taking into account the fact that it would probably end up just as broken as it is on the current version of vBulletin in a few months, it's more worth it for PWE to move on to a new software.
    NW was running vb4 which was nice, but there was a lot behind the scenes that no one knows about that caused them to make this decision.

Am I thrilled by it? newp. But I do know it was done because it was necessary.

Senior Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
    If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.

I think we need to start a campaign to transition back to the old forums, I hate this UI, and replying with a quote still doesn't work

so.. of its a general forum, do I still get slapped on my hands from Zeb or Lew? or who is the admins that do that here?

They knew our overall desire to stay..
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Posts: 2,034 Cryptic Developer
    so.. of its a general forum, do I still get slapped on my hands from Zeb or Lew? or who is the admins that do that here?

The pantheon has grown considerably.
  • magenubbiemagenubbie Posts: 4,762 Arc User
    so.. of its a general forum, do I still get slapped on my hands from Zeb or Lew?
    Not yet. They aren't mods yet. Just regular members. But soon, rest assured.
    "What if your home, your family... What if your dope was on fire?"
    "Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear."

Help! I'm level 60! A guide to the life of an adventurer

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. Or you'll get the horns. - Richard Vernon
    "Common sense is not that common" - Voltaire
  • lucianazetalucianazeta Posts: 698 Arc User
    By the nine divines, we has no forumsies now with STO D:
    STO%20Sig.png~original
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Posts: 2,034 Cryptic Developer
    By the nine divines, we has no forumsies now with STO D:

They're comin'
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Posts: 869 Arc User

Does that mean we are going to have new players become mods, or its just all the mods from various games are combined now?
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    XB1 Thaumaturge PVE CW Build || NW_Legit_Community Moderator || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T

Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    Can you post up the order that the games are scheduled to be migrated in? It doesn't have to be 100% correct but it would be better than spamming refresh and waiting.
  • kvetkvet Posts: 1,288 Arc User
    askray wrote: »
    NW was running vb4 which was nice, but there was a lot behind the scenes that no one knows about that caused them to make this decision.

Am I thrilled by it? newp. But I do know it was done because it was necessary.

I have a hunch "necessary" really means PWE decided it was no longer acceptable to have it's game's communities on separate platforms and made the call the centralize all forum communities onto one system. Then, a small team chose a platform without any significant input from the subject matter experts (the CMs) or quite possibly chose it while ignoring or marginalizing their input. Now, while vB may not have been the best, we're all being shoehorned into a less-good solution. I've seen this exact thing happen in corporate settings many time... it's the way it goes, especially in big, international companies.

• revjimjonesrevjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    This is the New Sarcasm Color for the new Forums!
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]
  • ilhanskilhansk Posts: 642 Arc User
    Outrageous_End__DNY59.jpg

I am so scared...
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hoping somebody makes a stylish mod for the new STO forums, this place looks like one big grey headache.

Also, are our old posts going to be attached to our new accounts? Or are we going back to a 0 post count for the second time?

PS, why aren't centre tags working for signatures? /Nvm, BBCode doesn't work but HTML does.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • xtern1tyxtern1ty Posts: 864 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I presume that not all of the threads will be making the transition from STO... :smiley:
    Hahahaha..... haahahahaha.... ha.... mmmm...

mhm... ^^

That is welcome and hopefully we have better abilities here to deal with forum-mites. ;)

Glad to see the migration finally underway, well worth the minor wait. This will at least give forum goers a pause to do something else meantime... like polish Trendy's Banleth. >:)
    [img][/img]hcSfM9O.gif
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    I may be in the minority, but I am sort of OK with the forum being a little more primitive, if problems between desk and computer can be handled more easily. If that really works in practice, that would be a plus to me. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • revjimjonesrevjimjones Posts: 604 Arc User
    IF they have a VIP account with Vanilla forums then they need to sell 350,000 Zen a month to cover the costs across all their games that are going to be using the forums here to cover that.
    Now someone hopefully did a cost effectiveness analysis that said it was worth it.
    Do we have to like it nope, but in the Immortal words of my Drill Instructor on Parris Island.
    Suck it up Cupcake.
    EXH79YQ.gif
    stuffbydavid.com/textcolorizer
    Sarcasm Font and color[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4][ /color][ /font]