test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE Forums Enhancement Extension - Discussion and Requests

Comments

• tesonetesone Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Very nice job on this Asterelle! Once again you've outdone yourself. Thanks a lot for everyone taking the time to do this, it makes these forums significantly more bearable! fox-1.gif​​
    Post edited by tesone on
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    eiledon wrote: »
    something odd happening with previews tonight - response on hovering was intermittent and now getting
    GET XHR https://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql [HTTP/1.1 502 Connection refused 147ms] error in console.
    It seems to be working at the moment. Honestly though this solution is really kludgy and I don't think 100% uptime can be expected from any public api, though if you know of a more reliable one I can change it.

As a reminder the whole reason I am proxying the requests off yahoo is that I can't seem to read the comment api directly without marking the discussion as read for the logged in session. It uses the cookie settings in the http request header and I don't know of any way to strip that without bouncing the request.
    ​​
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    Asterelle, I was wondering if you could add a delay for the preview hover? Perhaps an option in the config menu with a default time of 2 seconds but the ability to increase it or something? Sometimes they pop up when I'm not actually trying to get the preview and then because I open in a new tab they don't close again so I get cluster bombed by previews. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
    I think the current delay is reasonable but not closing when making a new tab is something I should look at.​​
  • DeceptistarDeceptistar Posts: 62 Arc User
    astypoop your amazing tiger-1.gif​​
    lagunal8.deviantart.com I'M HERE SINCE 2008 BISHES! wahaha... D:
    ★New weekly quests! Discover the bug in the patch-Nihillae★My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony.-Neurosis★You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life.-Ninnuam★A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them-ilystah★[How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours.-ColdSteele★If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★This thread is a joke right? Please say yes.-eatwithspoons★This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth.-Alacol★Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution.-Asterelle★Shoo troll >:O-TheDan★People who chose to be a PvE server is a dirt poor choice of life. They want a state of mind where everything is free and safe. All losers.-voluminous
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    asterelle wrote: »
    something odd happening with previews tonight - response on hovering was intermittent and now getting
    GET XHR https://query.yahooapis.com/v1/public/yql [HTTP/1.1 502 Connection refused 147ms] error in console.
    It seems to be working at the moment. Honestly though this solution is really kludgy and I don't think 100% uptime can be expected from any public api, though if you know of a more reliable one I can change it.

As a reminder the whole reason I am proxying the requests off yahoo is that I can't seem to read the comment api directly without marking the discussion as read for the logged in session. It uses the cookie settings in the http request header and I don't know of any way to strip that without bouncing the request.

Yeah it was just annoying at the time ;D btw I was thinking you could reinstate the non proxied method but rather than using it to get a preview per se, it's sole purpose would be to touch a thread thus marking it read (at least for the session). Since we don't have a mark thread read button I can find, and most people don't want to read everything. What do you think?
    ​​
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    @asterelle There's a bug here...
    var customTitle = $(this).prev('a[href^="title-"]').attr('href').substring("title-".length);

fixed it with
            var customTitle = $(this).prev('a[href^="title-"]').attr('href');
            if (typeof customTitle != 'undefined')
                customTitle = customTitle.substring("title-".length);
            else
                customTitle = '';

I noticed that sylen's signature is causing this particular bug. I'm not even really sure how it's caused if I'm being honest. I just fixed it so it would work regardless.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    nrglg wrote: »
    @asterelle There's a bug here...
    var customTitle = $(this).prev('a[href^="title-"]').attr('href').substring("title-".length);

fixed it with
            var customTitle = $(this).prev('a[href^="title-"]').attr('href');
            if (typeof customTitle != 'undefined')
                customTitle = customTitle.substring("title-".length);
            else
                customTitle = '';

I noticed that sylen's signature is causing this particular bug. I'm not even really sure how it's caused if I'm being honest. I just fixed it so it would work regardless.

Yeah thanks. I'm too used to JQuery handling the null case like magic.
    ​​
    I'm still confused as to how the bug even popped up. It is specified that only a link 'href' attribute starting with 'title-' should be selected, but somehow a link with no 'href' attribute was still selected. I'm a little baffled by that one. Maybe it's a bug of some sort in an older version of jQuery...that or I just don't get it, which is fine too I suppose.

Side question: Is null and undefined the same thing in JavaScript? I figured they were different, but then I thought about it. An object can be null but defined as a type and thus is not undefined, but I assume since variable types are dynamic that null and undefined are the same? I think I have that right...blasted duck typing languages.​​

edited August 2015
    While I do specifically select for those links, the object that is returned is the matching set of objects which could be totally empty. Most JQuery operations on the empty set are just no-ops but if I get the href attribute it needs to return a specific value which would be undefined.

Side answer: undefined is the type and value of uninitialized objects, null is a value used for invalid / empty objects.
    Trying to access the value of an undefined object raises an exception.
    Trying to access a property of an undefined object or a null object raises an exception.
    Oh, I see. That actually makes sense like that. jQuery does so many things behind the curtains it's a little difficult to tell what should be sometimes, from my perspective anyways.

As for the side answer: That makes sense. I had thought objects were declared the moment they were used in JS, but I guess not if an exception can be raised for an undefined object.​​

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 9,748 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    All right, let's see if I did this thing right.

Yay, it did!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    For anyone using the Pro series, I've just made a huge update to the Pro Red one. The changes made to that will role out for Pro Blue and Pro Green tomorrow. If you see any issues with Pro Red, I need to know as that is currently the base for all of the major changes to all versions.

@asterelle Could you please add flyingtarg and coldsnapped to the STO admin post tracker? It's funny all the devs you forget about because they don't post often, just saw some of their posts and it reminded me they exist haha.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    So many admins for STO! Updated in 1.2.2.5
  • sindarellasindarella Posts: 53 Arc User
    thank you for the great extension bear-40.gif
    asterelle wrote: »
    So many admins for STO! Updated in 1.2.2.5

Yeah, the bad thing is that I'm pretty sure there are still a lot more I've forgotten about. I remember the old Dev tracker had a couple of dozen names on it. I just remember the main ones, then I get a reminder of others as they make a post.

Thanks for adding those. :)
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • shadowfang240shadowfang240 Posts: 11,801 Arc User
    edited August 2015

Yeah, the bad thing is that I'm pretty sure there are still a lot more I've forgotten about. I remember the old Dev tracker had a couple of dozen names on it. I just remember the main ones, then I get a reminder of others as they make a post.

Thanks for adding those. :)

ta4ev7.png

this is all of them, courtesy of @gulberat who snapped this image of the old forum dev tracker shortly before the move

obviously, crypticfrost is no longer working with cryptic, nor is kestrel whose dev name i don't know
    Ah nice, thanks. I was wishing I'd thought to snap a pic of that before the merge.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • razzzzarazzzza Posts: 100 Arc User
    @asterelle is there any way to block or disable signatures?
    especially the pictures which are annoying or very big (gifs are the worst).
    edited August 2015
    @razzzza You can disable signatures completely from here: http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/profile/signature

With the enhancement on signature areas are limited to a height of 300 pixels and then a scroll bar will appear. The official rules state an image cannot be larger than 650x250 pixels so signature images top out to those values. You shouldn't see anything larger than that.

If you want to block specific images I recommend getting adblock and adding the URL to the image into it.

• razzzzarazzzza Posts: 100 Arc User
    @nrglg oh sweet i did not know that you could disable the signatures altogether.
    Im not gonna use that though because some people have nice links in them like aster do but those images in the signatures are pretty annoying especially the gifs.
    Im using adblock for them already and was just wondering is this enhancement could have that option to just block images.

anyways thanks for the reply mouse-4.gif
    razzzza wrote: »
    @nrglg oh sweet i did not know that you could disable the signatures altogether.
    Im not gonna use that though because some people have nice links in them like aster do but those images in the signatures are pretty annoying especially the gifs.
    Im using adblock for them already and was just wondering is this enhancement could have that option to just block images.

anyways thanks for the reply mouse-4.gif

That same page that nrglg linked has the option to only remove images from signatures. The "Strip images out of signatures" box. If ticked then only text will show in signatures but all images will be removed.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    edited August 2015
    ignore - never code tired​​
    Post edited by eiledon on
    edited August 2015
    @eiledon I would have recommended something similar had it been an even remotely close way to block all gif images, but it's not. A simple query string or different file extension that sends out the gif header will still result in a gif images being shown. It's very inaccurate and only works on a small number of cases considering most images linked have queries as well.

edited August 2015
    nm - never post when tired or angry.​​
    edited August 2015

nm - never post when tired or angry.

Dunno what you wrote before you, I assume, changed it, but amen to that.

On another note: I hope to get around to doing the update to Pro Green and Blue tomorrow or the day after. I just spent the last days diagnosing, soldering, and reflowing, and ugh for a tablet, which I've never done before. It wasn't a typical client job so I'm wiped...I also learned that I absolutely hate tiny PCBs. I need some sort of clamps...yay for rambling off-topic...I also bought some energy drink cans because coffee wasn't doing it for me...

Post edited by nrglg on

• xblinddudexxblinddudex Posts: 178 Arc User
    I installed this and I dont see ANYTHING different.
    l0rdalf wrote: »
    If the community keeps this up I'm going to remove recoil completely and make all shots ricochet in perpetuity.
    ovTbLbF.gif
    If You're Jealous, Listen Up Fellas, It Ain't No Problem, To Show You Where HELL IS
    edited August 2015
    Then you're doing something wrong... We can tell from our point of view that it didn't get installed or is not enabled because you are called an "Arc User". Make sure it is installed and is enabled. If both of those criteria are met, try answering the below.

What permissions do you have on your computer (full administrator, regular user, locked down user)? What browser are you on, what are its permissions if you don't have full administrative control, and what version? What "monkey" javascript injecting system are you using (Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, Violentmonkey) and what version? Knowing these will help to attempt to reproduce the issues you're having.​​

• ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    I installed this and I dont see ANYTHING different.

Most of the default differences are not super overt but are incredibly useful, like being able to change your font sizefox-41.gifcolor. But if you want to see more dramatic visual differences you need to enable one of the various themes. ​​

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!