test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE Forums Enhancement Extension - Discussion and Requests

Comments

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Another thing I am noticing is that images in signatures seem to have a grey "film" over them, like they are behind something? Does that description make sense?
    the sigs in that theme render at 60% opacity, so they are partially transparent and dont detract from the messages.​​
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Never mind, found it.​​
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 201 Arc User
    I'm using adblock plus on Firefox to get rid of several annoying flashing signatures.

all the signature pictures I'm seeing are clear.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • guljarolguljarol Posts: 469 Arc User
    I noticed it a while ago. What's with this "plural" word? Of course, it doesn't show where there's just one new post, but what's it for? I know that 32, 8, or 10,843,356 is plural ;)

plural_zpshpofy4rw.jpeg

​​

chaelk wrote: »
    I'm using adblock plus on Firefox to get rid of several annoying flashing signatures.

all the signature pictures I'm seeing are clear.
    the sigs he was talking about are theme-specific.
    guljarol wrote: »
    I noticed it a while ago. What's with this "plural" word? Of course, it doesn't show where there's just one new post, but what's it for? I know that 32, 8, or 10,843,356 is plural ;)
    i think somebody at pwe was messing with the phrasing system. plural is likely place holder for 'posts'. 1 new post, 2 new posts, etc.

​​
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Posts: 2,217 Arc User
    This script is great, but I'm running into one problem. I have my browser (Google Chrome) set to clear all temporary files on exit and this is also clearing all script settings. I'm using this script with the extension TamperMonkey. Any advice on ensuring these settings stay permanent? Thanks​​
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    This script is great, but I'm running into one problem. I have my browser (Google Chrome) set to clear all temporary files on exit and this is also clearing all script settings. I'm using this script with the extension TamperMonkey. Any advice on ensuring these settings stay permanent? Thanks

Set your browser so it doesn't clear all temporary files on exit.
    ​​
  • guljarolguljarol Posts: 469 Arc User
    i think somebody at pwe was messing with the phrasing system. plural is likely place holder for 'posts'. 1 new post, 2 new posts, etc.

I see. Well, it's not a big deal or a problem.

It seems to be gone now.​​

Wow the redirect blocking doesn't seem to work very well in Chrome though I've seen no issues in Firefox. Are other people getting that? I'll try to find a more reliable solution for Chrome.​​
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    I haven't had any issues at all with the redirect block in Chrome.​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • strictlyevilstrictlyevil Posts: 338 Arc User
    I'm not getting any issues on Chrome or Firefox on my end either.​​
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    edited July 2015
    asterelle wrote: »
    Wow the redirect blocking doesn't seem to work very well in Chrome though I've seen no issues in Firefox. Are other people getting that? I'll try to find a more reliable solution for Chrome.
    ive noticed this for a week or so. i mentioned it in the other thread. the onset was very sudden, and very sporadic in occurance.

​​
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 201 Arc User
    fun with cut and paste time, well on the weekend.

colours
    http://html-color-codes.info/
    transparency/opacity codes
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/opacity
    picture backgrounds
    http://www.html.am/html-codes/image-codes/background-image-code.cfm

my apologies to the owner of the blue one, I'll be fiddling with yours to see what happens.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

This script is great, but I'm running into one problem. I have my browser (Google Chrome) set to clear all temporary files on exit and this is also clearing all script settings. I'm using this script with the extension TamperMonkey. Any advice on ensuring these settings stay permanent? Thanks

There's no way to make these settings permanent? Having an ever increasing cache and cookie stack will make that difficult.​​
  • strictlyevilstrictlyevil Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I doubt that would be possible, seeing as the information is stored locally.

Then again, I don't know anywhere near what these guys do so that may not be true at all.​​
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    There's a way to make the settings permanent if an off-site system was used, but I believe Asterelle is trying to make the program as private as possible and not have to involve 3rd party data retention of your account info.

Edit: I don't think I was clear. The enhancement stores no private data. However, in order to retrieve data from somewhere off-site, you'd need your account name or ID. Technically, we'd have no way to verify if you are in fact who JavaScript thinks you are, so your settings would be technically available for anyone to see if it, for whatever reason, bothers you.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    edited July 2015
    There isn't any private data in the enhance settings but doing remote storage of the settings would affect few people so it's low priority.

The only real benefit would be for those who install the extension on multiple browsers. Eh if someone wants to do most of the work of finding a reliable anonymous remote storage api I'll take a look.
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I know of no reliable service like that, for free anyways. I sure know of some unreliable ones. tiger-47.gif

Unrelated: I was thinking, I'd love a real-time chat box. I always enjoyed those when appropriate. I might do it. Pubnub is great for that.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    edited July 2015

There's no way to make these settings permanent? Having an ever increasing cache and cookie stack will make that difficult.

What you could try, is when you go to the settings for your cookies. Underneath where you click "Keep local data only until you quit browser" there is a button called "Manage exceptions".
    In there enter
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

and select Allow. Save it and you should be good.

I prefer not to delete everything every time I close my browser, but I just ran a quick test with that active and the exception in place and when I came back to the site I had to go through the 5 page redirect nightmare that is logging in, but I didn't have to reselect any of my enhancement stuff.
    ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    There isn't any private data in the enhance settings but doing remote storage of the settings would affect few people so it's low priority.

The only real benefit would be for those who install the extension on multiple browsers. Eh if someone wants to do most of the work of finding a reliable anonymous remote storage api I'll take a look.
    What about having the configuration settings for the script stored in hard coded variables? This way one would be able to customize the script appearance by changing these variables. The settings themselves would be essentially part of the script and would not be cleared when the browser closes. However, that's probably not very user friendly.
    ​​
    I added message previews to notifications and popup messages.
    @khamseenair and @tehbubbaloo I switched from CSS tooltips to Jquery ones for more reliable positioning. The new tooltip class for comment previews is ".tooltip-comment"
    ​​
    edited July 2015
    that looks great. i especially like how its smart enough to position itself intelligently.
    one suggestion is truncation at some point though.

and i just realised that if you have jquery running here we can leverage 'triggerOverlay'-type stuff and lightboxes and whatnot..​​
    I added message previews to notifications and popup messages.
    @khamseenair and @tehbubbaloo I switched from CSS tooltips to Jquery ones for more reliable positioning. The new tooltip class for comment previews is ".tooltip-comment"

Roger roger, looking good! I'll go make the necessary changes to my CSS. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    @majortiraomega For your particular situation, if it's not possible for you to save settings in your browser, you could make a separate script for greasemonkey/tampermonkey that just recreates the settings.

Once you have the settings where you like them...
    open the javascript console with control+shift+J.

Type "localStorage.pweEnhancementSettings" and press enter

This outputs all the settings as a single string. Copy that (make sure to include the quotes around the ends).

After that you create a new script in tampermonkey for perfectworld.vanillaforums.com.

The contents of the script would just be
    localStorage.pweEnhancementSettings = <That string you copied>;
    (obviously without the angle brackets).

If you want to change settings youd have to update this script.
    ​​
  • gulberatgulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited July 2015

plural_zpshpofy4rw.jpeg​​

I was wondering if some piece of code that ensures adjective agreement in other languages (think nuevo vs. nuevos) switched on in English by accident! But since English doesn't do that, it spit out the word "plural" instead!!! :D

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Getting this on message previews: H99JKAc.png?1 Started just after 1.0.1 updated.

Edit: Have this on notification preview as well S4u5b2d.png?1​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long [font="title-Space Cadet ☮"][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    @smeeinn1t What browser is this? Also are you running an extra stylish script or companion script or anything? Does it show up if you disable ad block?​​
    I've noticed something with the preview windows in Chrome. I use an extension to switch to new tabs automatically, with the jquery tooltips the preview window doesn't close when I open a thread in a new tab and then close the new tab. It's not a huge issue, but some of the larger preview windows do block things off a little meaning I have to refresh the page to get rid of them. ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    I've noticed something with the preview windows in Chrome. I use an extension to switch to new tabs automatically, with the jquery tooltips the preview window doesn't close when I open a thread in a new tab and then close the new tab. It's not a huge issue, but some of the larger preview windows do block things off a little meaning I have to refresh the page to get rid of them.
    i dont like super long previews either. after all, they are previews. i set a max-height of 150 and hid the overflow. i just wish they were in a container div i could use to lay a gradient over to fade the text to background at the bottom.
    ​​
    edited July 2015
    i just wish they were in a container div i could use to lay a gradient over to fade the text to background at the bottom.
    Ohh that's a good idea. I was going to cut off the text at some specific length and just put " ..." for the rest but I like the fade idea better. You should be able to do it with the .tooltip-comment:after pseudo element..

EDIT: Here it is an example though obviously it won't be red.
    KyJtU26.png
    ​​