test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PWE Forums Enhancement Extension - Discussion and Requests

asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
edited August 2015 in Suggestions
After weeks of development and bringing in talent from across the community it's time for the official release the unofficial PWE Forums Enhancement Extension! This is a user script that can be added to your browser that fixes a lot of the shortcomings of the forums and adds a ton of features on top of it.

Grab it here: PWE Forums Enhancement Extension

Installation
Currently supported browsers are Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Opera. Support for Internet Explorer may come in a future update.
There are several ways to install user scripts but the easiest way is typically through a browser extension like Grease Monkey. Click the above link for more info. If you already have Grease Monkey or something similar you can just click this.

Features
- Built-in theme manager filled with tons of themes made by talented members of the PWE community. All automatically updated with the latest versions. Lots of addons to customize the themes to your liking.
Note: If you're already using a custom forum style through "Stylish" you should disable it if you want to use the bundled themes.
5i8irrM.png
- Block annoying forum trolls with a single click
K1rBqaV.png
- Editor buttons for choosing Fonts, Font Color, and Font Size. Can automatically apply your favorite font color to your posts when submitting.
tFENefQ.gif
- Over 1000 emotes to choose from! Choose your favorite bundles:
5QQ5vvE.png
and they will appear in the editor.
dmv5Zx2.gif
- Preview opening and last comments from the category view
1COgvPV.png
- Browse the native forums directly without any of the bugs that come with being forced to use the embedded version.
- Built-in game specific links for whatever PWE game you play
- A highly customizable interface so you can pick and choose whatever features you want
- Automatic updating
- Probably a lot more!

Companion Scripts
These are features that may be coming in future versions of the extension but you can try them out right now as a separate script.
- Game Navigation Panel (@eiledon) - https://github.com/Eiledon/PWEVC
- Discussion Autopaging and Filters (@eiledon) - https://github.com/Eiledon/PWEVC/raw/master/PWE_Discussion_Manager.user.js

Troubleshooting
- Wallpapers look really stretched out.
This is caused by browsing the embedded version of the forums. This version of the forums has numerous bugs and shortcomings and it is recommended to browse the native version at http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/

- I keep getting redirected to the embedded version of the forums from Chrome
Unfortunately due to a bug Tampermonkey can not currently guarantee the script runs before the redirect occurs. To prevent the recommended that you block the redirect from happening with Ad Block.
1) Click the Ad Block button in the browser window.
2) Click 'Options'.
3) Click 'Customize' at the top.
4) Next to Manually edit your filters: click 'Edit'
5) In the box paste the following url:
http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/js/embed_local.js
6) Click 'Save'
This has the side effect of disabling the embedded version of the site but the forums will always be available from http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com

- The comment previews aren't showing up
This has been caused by conflicts with security related extensions such as "Avast Online Security". You will have to add an exception to the security or disable the extension.

Credits
Developers
@asterelle (lead)
@nrglg (contributing)
@eiledon (contributing)

Theme Authors
@venusarmani (VA Eclipse)
@nrglg (Grayscale / Pro Series / Addons / Fixes)
@eldarth (The Blues)
@khamseenair (STO Fed / KDF / Rom)
@tehbubbaloo (Beautiful - Light)

Emotes
IrvinIS - Star Trek Emotes

​​
Post edited by asterelle on

Comments

• khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    Glad to see this getting the 'official' release now that it's hit 1.0! vQTD03D.png​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    i love this thing!
    the themes
    i will link to any themes as their threads are made.

WcZdREq.png
    pro blue

i82AiR2.png
    pro red

9cKmlzH.png
    pro green

cdzH7OK.png
    the blues

0KTjrHf.png
    beautiful - light

3QfMWYW.png
    va eclipse

nHYGVdb.png
    sto - federation

MANZdIG.png
    sto - klingon

AoKo0dA.png
    sto - romulan​​
    Post edited by tehbubbaloo on
  • asterelleasterelle Posts: 368 Arc User
    Glad to see this getting the 'official' release now that it's hit 1.0! vQTD03D.png

Everything before today was a preview release tiger-1.gif
    Ohh, I should have given those people who participated in the preview release an extra special title. Ehh too late now.
    ​​
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    Hahaha, the "Got it before it was hot" title? :P ​​
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Posts: 471 Arc User
    Thank you very much! Especially for the themes! I just choose a theme a lot more friendly for my eyes. I love it​​
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    76561198047946164.png
  • eldartheldarth Posts: 4,366 Arc User
    Definitely a wonderful job with the enhancements and bringing everything into a nice simple to use collection.
    hand-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif
    ​​
  • testxvitestxvi Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    I been looking forward for this, I like the original theme most though, but all the fixes, smileys and font colors and everything such is nice to have. Seems like my signature actually having a limited size too with this xD

Btw... I was wondering if anybody else getting threads from other categories shown under discussion. Forexample the only category I'm interested in is PWI, so I only have that category enabled or how to say it, but yet when clicking "Discussions" I get threads showing from PWI and Neverwinter. I find it annoying, I dont wanna see Neverwinter threads. Just wondering if this enhancement by any chance could fix it in future?​​
    Satyrion & Cebloon - Sanctuary
    hOOxO2Y.png
    edited July 2015
    testxvi wrote: »
    Btw... I was wondering if anybody else getting threads from other categories shown under discussion. Forexample the only category I'm interested in is PWI, so I only have that category enabled or how to say it, but yet when clicking "Discussions" I get threads showing from PWI and Neverwinter. I find it annoying, I dont wanna see Neverwinter threads. Just wondering if this enhancement by any chance could fix it in future?

I believe that is caused by them adding those forums after you made the rule to ignore them. Unhide and rehide that game to fix it.
    ​​
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Posts: 2,096 Arc User
    I posted on Reddit, may as well post here too. Great work from all involved, it's nice to be able to comprehend what's actually going on now.

This thread should be plastered and stickied all over the place.​​
  • angrytargangrytarg Posts: 163 Arc User
    I am curious, what tools/expertise would one need to make a theme? pig-1.gif​​
    <center>223.gif</center>
    <center>"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh</center>
    <center>Vanilla is nice... we're talking about ice cream, right? ...
  • catgirldesucatgirldesu Posts: 24 Arc User
    Sweet, the official release is here. Good job to everyone involved. It's because of this that I actually like these forums more than the old ones. Well, almost. I still miss a few things but, all these cool features make this forum great. eKHbWy9.png​​
  • guljarolguljarol Posts: 469 Arc User
    Great work! I started using it only recently, but I appreciate how easier my forum life became thanks to this script! :)​​

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 201 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I am curious, what tools/expertise would one need to make a theme? pig-1.gif

me too. Currently using the nice dark blue one.
    But I have a background picture I'd like to use instead if possible.
    This one or can you only do solid colours?
    DSCF0129_zpspmbrf6j4.jpg

​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    It doesn't seem to work with Seamonkey :/
    edited July 2015
    its helpful to have some css experience, but it wouldnt hurt to try a simple 'find & replace' recolour of an existing theme. you could do that in notepad.
    chaelk wrote: »
    you could inject that into any style (or even the default style) with a simple css snippet:
    .Head { background-color: transparent !important; }

/*Setup background image*/
    body
    {
    background-image: url("http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t589/BarbaravdB/DSCF0129_zpspmbrf6j4.jpg";) !important;
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-attachment: fixed;
    }
    ​​
    Post edited by tehbubbaloo on
    edited July 2015
    chaelk wrote: »

DSCF0129_zpspmbrf6j4.jpg
    Custom backgrounds will be coming in a future version.
    I am also considering expanding user blocking to allow you to block only a person's signature or only their avatar.
    It doesn't seem to work with Seamonkey :/

... I haven't seen anyone mention Seamonkey in like 6 years... I installed it in case it was something easy to fix but the only user script extensions I found were broken and abandoned for years. I don't think Seamonkey support is going to happen.
    ​​
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 722 Arc User
    Question about Grease Monkey. I went to the site to add it but saw all kinds of horror warnings about the latest release. What are people using then, an earlier release? These enhancements sound great, I just don't want to cripple my browser in the process.
    Project_Attalus2_zps5hp8pwwj.jpg
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • nrglgnrglg Posts: 347 Arc User
    @jaazaniah1 People on the internet have a tendency to have kneejerk reactions to everything. In the case of Greasemonkey, it looks like a small memory leak is potentially causing a small stir up.​​

GAME FORUMS (Direct Link & Arc Frame)
    Hub | Arc | PWI | FW | NW | STO | SO | BLR | JD | BOI | CO | WOI
    Forum Enhancements and Visual Improvements
    (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey and/or Stylish required)
    PWI vBulletin Forum Data Dumps and Backups
    Sure, as a member of these forums I'm well up on tempests in a tea pot. :smile: I just didn't see any good comments regarding 3.x. Just curious if any others are seeing problems before I install it.
    nrglg wrote: »
    @jaazaniah1 People on the internet have a tendency to have kneejerk reactions to everything. In the case of Greasemonkey, it looks like a small memory leak is potentially causing a small stir up.​​

It works, it just will cause crashes if you run your browser for a very long while. Anyway, if you don't trust any of the 3.x series, you can get an old version here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/versions/​​

• strictlyevilstrictlyevil Posts: 338 Arc User
    These are beautiful guys. Great work! Is there anyone specific I should be taking any bug finds to or shall I just post them here?​​
    Ancient 18.8k CW | Ancient Heals 18k DC | Ancient Tank 22.2k GF | GT: XGC Army
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Post them here for Asterelle to see. If it's related to themes, I am aware of a large number of problems but have yet to fix them because it's my last few days of vacation. I'm more focused on playing games and relaxing. After that's over, I'll probably be doing more work, which might make less sense, but it's what happens. I do more side-work when I work.​​

• rawynnrawynn Posts: 42 Arc User
    Thank you to all that worked on this, much better than the "vanilla" thing we had going on before.All of these extras are very nice to have,...*chuckes* ; meh not going to go there abour ARC and how they err.....nevermind.
    looking forward to seeing what else gets added monkey-1.gifmonkey-26.gif
    ​​
    7GNOisE.gif?1
  • sarosssaross Posts: 210 Arc User
    If this could also add on some toolbars that makes it easier for those looking to do custom signatures. So they could essentially add things without having to play a guessing game of what worked and what didn't. I know myself I bounce back and forth trying to determine what is and isn't working and just gave up on my signature. ​​
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!
    75,000 DPS Member
    saross wrote: »
    If this could also add on some toolbars that makes it easier for those looking to do custom signatures. So they could essentially add things without having to play a guessing game of what worked and what didn't. I know myself I bounce back and forth trying to determine what is and isn't working and just gave up on my signature.

The signatures on these forums are a little weird in that they are configured to use HTML by default. The editor benefits are configured to use BBCode though. I could try to switch the signature input over to BBcode instead of HTML but it wouldn't work on those that already have HTML signatures... I guess I could check to make sure a user hasn't made a signature yet but I'm pretty sure most people already have... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ​​
  • tek1nigtek1nig Posts: 447 Arc User
    Fuck yesegg-14.gif​​
    SyntherosX - 105, 105, 105 Calc : www.mypers.pw/1.8/#52321
    BankaiGOD Leader - Harshlands
    Loyal PerfectWorld Player & And massive hater against ARC forums.
    ALT:DuskBlade- Mercilios 102, 100, 102 Calc : www.mypers.pw/1.8/#119356
    Youtube&LiveStream: www.youtube.com/user/OROCx24
    Bleach-Skull-Logo.jpg
    So, I have everything installed and got a Theme I like. Weird glitch is that every time I start my browser and go to these forums I have to log in for the extensions to take affect (e.g. for the Theme to take affect). Is that they way it should work, or do I have a problem setting somewhere?​​
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    So, I have everything installed and got a Theme I like. Weird glitch is that every time I start my browser and go to these forums I have to log in for the extensions to take affect (e.g. for the Theme to take affect). Is that they way it should work, or do I have a problem setting somewhere?
    when i opened up my firefox earlier to test, i was not logged in and the theme still worked. i had no enhance menus nor could i change the theme, but it was still active.
    ​​
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    So, I have everything installed and got a Theme I like. Weird glitch is that every time I start my browser and go to these forums I have to log in for the extensions to take affect (e.g. for the Theme to take affect). Is that they way it should work, or do I have a problem setting somewhere?

For me the selected theme is still applied but the buttons are missing (since they live next to your signed in avatar). Really I think that's acceptable behavior as there is some logic in the settings being connected to the user (even though they really live in the browser). You should just always stay logged in and use the native forums url http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/
    ​​
    Another thing I am noticing is that images in signatures seem to have a grey "film" over them, like they are behind something? Does that description make sense?​​