test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worst Forums ever....

callofkutulucallofkutulu Posts: 31 Arc User
I don't know how you decided to go from vBulletin, the Cadillac of forum software, to this steaming pile of minutia. Really really bad call. Readability, function, customization, message editor, all horrible.

Comments

• opkossyopkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    vBulletin really isn't that great. Especially not when you consider PWE was using a very dated version of it as well.

Yes, these ones are pretty bad, but they're also here to stay. If you're going to complain at least be specific and add constructive criticism so that there's some clue of what they need to improve to make this forum something easier to use. The many security issues, as pointed out in various threads (and plenty of which have been fixed or had parts disabled until a fix can be made) are an example of telling them what needs to be dealt with so they can fix it.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • callofkutulucallofkutulu Posts: 31 Arc User
    You mean fixes like all the game breaking bugs getting fixed in NW. Sorry a bit jaded here. I wasn't addressing specific bugs but usability and readability issues. It reads like a wall of txt on an old BBS system, maybe if they had some themes and theme choosers installed. I have run a large vBulletin forum as well as a phpbb system and have extensive experience with them. The wysiwyg editor is lacking: font attributes, code blocks, colors, tables, bullets, bbcode tag inserts and auto complete. Their blind decision making process seems to permeate the entire company, front end business to core game, end to end
    edited June 2015
    A lot of the features the original editor had were stripped down after those of us doing some extensive testing here showed just why they weren't such a good idea to have (IE: We could spoof the identities of staff, completely change the page, block functions of the forums, and so on). For a while, the editor had been completely disabled and they seem to now be slowly re-introducing it. BBCode does seem to be fully functional here right now, aside from the odd issue with signatures where some people seem unable to edit them while others don't have a problem. That issue's getting looked into, however, so with any luck it won't remain a problem for too long.

The current layout is definitely lacking in terms of readability. The gray on gray on gray doesn't do it many favors, links being indiscernible from regular text, quote boxes having colors too close to that of a normal post and lacking a proper border to at least make them stand out, and so on are all issues with that. At the moment, Asterelle and NRGLG from the PWI forums have provided tools to ease that and make things much more bearable until the staff get to the forum's appearance and fix that up. Considering the many other issues they have to deal with (PMs had to temporarily be disabled due to a major issue found with them, for example) combined with the fact that said alternatives have been provided, for once I don't feel a need to pressure them too much on that end.

Regardless, specifics do help far more than not and I'm glad you gave a bit more detail this time. They have been trying and it's shown. It's far from a finished product, mind you... and they honestly should have actually tested this (I can't say they should have been thorough because plenty of problems were evident from day 1 that weren't touched until recently) way back when it was just for Swordsman, but it's too late to really be going on about that.

As for being jaded, I've been here from the start as I've been playing the first game under PWE's umbrella since said game was in beta. The PWI community in general is jaded to the point where we expect nothing but disaster regardless of what we're told and we're so used to said disaster coming to pass we don't really bat an eyelid at it anymore. At least, to my memory, NW hasn't had to go without a CM for 4+ months at a time on more than one occasion. bear-2.gif
  • krittycatkrittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    opkossy wrote: »
    A lot of the features the original editor had were stripped down after those of us doing some extensive testing here showed just why they weren't such a good idea to have (IE: We could spoof the identities of staff, completely change the page, block functions of the forums, and so on). For a while, the editor had been completely disabled and they seem to now be slowly re-introducing it. BBCode does seem to be fully functional here right now, aside from the odd issue with signatures where some people seem unable to edit them while others don't have a problem. That issue's getting looked into, however, so with any luck it won't remain a problem for too long.

The current layout is definitely lacking in terms of readability. The gray on gray on gray doesn't do it many favors, links being indiscernible from regular text, quote boxes having colors too close to that of a normal post and lacking a proper border to at least make them stand out, and so on are all issues with that. At the moment, Asterelle and NRGLG from the PWI forums have provided tools to ease that and make things much more bearable until the staff get to the forum's appearance and fix that up. Considering the many other issues they have to deal with (PMs had to temporarily be disabled due to a major issue found with them, for example) combined with the fact that said alternatives have been provided, for once I don't feel a need to pressure them too much on that end.

Regardless, specifics do help far more than not and I'm glad you gave a bit more detail this time. They have been trying and it's shown. It's far from a finished product, mind you... and they honestly should have actually tested this (I can't say they should have been thorough because plenty of problems were evident from day 1 that weren't touched until recently) way back when it was just for Swordsman, but it's too late to really be going on about that.

As for being jaded, I've been here from the start as I've been playing the first game under PWE's umbrella since said game was in beta. The PWI community in general is jaded to the point where we expect nothing but disaster regardless of what we're told and we're so used to said disaster coming to pass we don't really bat an eyelid at it anymore. At least, to my memory, NW hasn't had to go without a CM for 4+ months at a time on more than one occasion. bear-2.gif

Or have multiple CMs disappear without so much as a word.

I think the closest newer game to what PWI has dealt with is BLR, and BLR's might be a worse situation because of the type of game it is.fox-41.gif
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Posts: 9,617 Community Moderator
    Oh yes we did. It was before launch though. :p
    edited June 2015
    krittycat wrote: »
    Or have multiple CMs disappear without so much as a word.

I think the closest newer game to what PWI has dealt with is BLR, and BLR's might be a worse situation because of the type of game it is.fox-41.gif

Blech. I remember seeing BLR and it was not pretty. Though at least it wasn't Rusty Hearts. That one didn't even have mods and you could find unedited "adult material" (and links to it) so easily on their forums I could only shake my head and sigh. Of course, PWE had already abandoned them by then too so... yeah....
  • ovenusarmanioovenusarmanio Posts: 301 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    egg-50.gif I would definitely recommend using the aforementioned CSS mods until they can fix the larger issues, they help a LOT.

Oh yes we did. It was before launch though. :p

What Happens in Beta, Stays in Beta

kritty%20sig_zpsp0y7ttsb.png
    Thanks to MikoTenshi for the Avi and Kritty for the Signature.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!